New M&P 340 shoots to the right!!!! AH what to do????

This is a discussion on New M&P 340 shoots to the right!!!! AH what to do???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, So I went to the range yesterday w/ my brand new S&W M&P 340 (j-frame revolver I purchased last week) and every shot ...

Thread: New M&P 340 shoots to the right!!!! AH what to do????

Hey all,
    So I went to the range yesterday w/ my brand new S&W M&P 340 (j-frame revolver I purchased last week) and every shot is about 5 inches to the right of where the gun is actually aimed (all shots at 5 yards --shooting at a silhouette target). Before you start thinking that I'm just a terrible shot and blaming the gun, I was also shooting a S&W 340PD (another j-frame) which is basically the same gun. Now with the 340PD I was able to hit everything I aimed at (typically 2 in. groups). So, I really think that there is something wrong w/ my new M&P 340 and not me. Please let me know what I can do -- I'm so frustrated, I just want it to work!!!

Snubman, How many times has the trigger been pulled on that 340PD? After use, the trigger on the 340PD has more than likely worked it's kinks out. You may be "pulling" the trigger just a tad on that brand new M&P.

I was wondering about trigger pull myself.

Check your aiming and trigger pull. Double check that you have an empty gun, (triple check) Then carefully aim at something a distance a way and dry fire the weapon watching the point of aim during the dry fire. If the trigger is heavier than your muscle memory is used to chances are you are "pulling" the aim during the trigger squeeze. If you see the point of aim jump a bit, thats your issue.

If thats not it, aim 5 inches to the left
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Have a gunsmith check out the barrel to see if it is properly screwed in tight, and also the front sight to see if it is properly aligned.
    God bless our troops!

If you have any way to put it in a shooting vise, sight it in and fire multiple shots, that could identify the issue. Does it shoot tight groups? Do the groups agree with how it is aimed while in the vise? If the problem only happens when you are hand-holding the gun, it's all user-error. If it shoots right when in the vise, it's the gun.

Simpler Still...

Have someone known to be a good shot have a go with it and compare the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Have someone known to be a good shot have a go with it and compare the results.
    Or shoot it from a ransom rest.

If no good I'd call S&W customer service pronto and get them to send you a return label.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Heck ---- just remember to hold 5 inches to the left and you'll be just fine!!!
    (Mine prints 3 inches to the left at 15 feet --- they're not target pistols, ya know!!??). If you can consistantly hit a dinner plate at 15 feet it's a 'keeper'!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Hey All,
    Thanks for the replies thus far... Can a snub be ammo sensitive -- meaning will some ammunition shoot correctly and other's will be off..... I'm just throwing that out there -- I canít see that being the case --- b/c when the bullet impacts 5 inches to the right of POA that pretty bad when shooting at only 15 feet.

I don't think 5 inches at 5 yards is the ammo. Any visible front or rear sight defects? Are they level, centered, backwards, tweaked and/or mangled? If not I'd be thinking about trigger pull also. Does the M&P have different grips than the 340?

The sights look okay. I don't notice the gun pulling any direction at any point through the trigger pull.... The grips are the same on both j-frames (Hogue Bantam Grips --- really good grips by the way!!!)---- err, still at a loss --- the barrell looks great except for the smallest imperfection on the lows (i don't know the tech. term --- "the low part" of the rifling) on the right side about half way down the barrell (but since its not on the part that the bullet "rides" on shouldn't that not make a difference???) --- Hope I'm clear on that....

Quote Originally Posted by SnubMan View Post
    The sights look okay. I don't notice the gun pulling any direction at any point through the trigger pull.... The grips are the same on both j-frames (Hogue Bantam Grips --- really good grips by the way!!!)---- err, still at a loss --- the barrell looks great except for the smallest imperfection on the lows (i don't know the tech. term --- "the low part" of the rifling) on the right side about half way down the barrell (but since its not on the part that the bullet "rides" on shouldn't that not make a difference???) --- Hope I'm clear on that....
    That would be the barrel lands and grooves,the low part is the groove,5" at fifteen feet is a lot,I would shoot from a rest or have somebody else shoot from a rest to see if it is indeed the gun.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

** Update ** Another range visit

Hey all,

So I went to the range and I had a more experienced shooter also fire a couple of groups w/ my snub and the results were the same. The 340 shoots 5 inches to the right from POA (at 5 yards). So now what (I know its not a target gun but Ė snubs are easily capable of 2 in. groups at 10 yards)))? The snub holds tight groups but they are not where gun is aimed!!! Er, will S&W fix this??? Anyone ever have a similar experience to this???

I would call Smith as they have always been helpful for me. The gun is under warranty and if it is not functioning properly (which it isn't) then they should fix it.

2 options:

1. We could just drag this on here; or,

2. You could just call S&W and get it fixed.

I'd be surprised as heck if they give you a hard time.

Sponsored Links