357sig questions?

This is a discussion on 357sig questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To all of the 357sig cc's. Ive never shot a 357sig round. Ive normally stuck with 9mm, since its used to be cheap to shoot ...

Thread: 357sig questions?

357sig questions?

To all of the 357sig cc's. Ive never shot a 357sig round. Ive normally stuck with 9mm, since its used to be cheap to shoot at the range, and I also felt it was enough. How does the 357sig compare in recoil to 9mm and 40cal. Also, tell me the good points to this round, as if you were trying to persuade me to go with the 357sig only.

thanks

2. Remove Ads

The 357Sig kicks, roars, and spits fire. It is very accurate and a hoot to shoot. I would not want to use the 357Sig at night due to the flame but otherwise I prefer it to the 40 S&W. I have conversion barrels for my Glock 23 and 27 and I do not regret buying them. Regards, Richard

The recoil is pretty snappy. I had the barrel for my HK P2000, but sold it. I guess I could have gotten used to the snappy recoil, but with the cost of the ammo, it just wasn't worth it to me. Other people that shoot it love it, it just wasn't for me.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

If you have a 9mm, find some +P+ ammo and that will come really close to what the .357 Sig is like.

I've been considering one, but I like my 9mm too, and it's easier to reload, IMHO.

Biker

The .357sig is similar in recoil to the .357mag and .40. A guy at a local gun shop was telling me that that particular caliber hasn't taken off like the manufacturers had hoped. Therefore many of the gun manufacturers are going to stop making guns in this caliber.

I have a G33 in .357sig. I also own the 9mm conversion barrel for the G33. To be honest, I can't tell too much of a difference when firing them. I carry the .357, and shoot at the range with the 9mm for cost effectiveness.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Put the right kind of grips on a 357 Sig and you won't think it's all that bad. I shot a Sig 239 in 357 Sig and a Sig 229 in the same caliber and the bigger the gun, the less the recoil. I also have hogue grips on my 229 and that eases the recoil even more.

If you think more penetration is needed, go with a 357 Sig, but I think a 45acp will be a better CCW caliber if you want to go bigger than 9mm.

The 357sig has a crisp recoil. It is more sharp than a 40 (which is a little more pushy than 357). 357 recoil is pretty comparable to a 38super+p or similar to 9mm +p

You should have no problem with the recoil.

Only twice in the last 8 years have I bought a pistol that was not 357 sig :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lowgroove View Post
    A guy at a local gun shop was telling me that that particular caliber hasn't taken off like the manufacturers had hoped. Therefore many of the gun manufacturers are going to stop making guns in this caliber.
    be aware that more misinformation comes from "a guy at the gun shop" than any other source i know of. i dont know where gun shops find these clowns, but finding a knowledgable "guy at the gun shop" who gives good information (as opposed to trying to sell you what he has on hand, or the weapon with the higher profit margin, etc.) is extremely difficult.

the 357 sig is a great round and while it hasnt found the popularity it deserves its still relatively popular. i find it to be my absolute favorite handgun round to shoot, its just fun and the round really sizzles. to bad its so dang expensive to shoot.

I have a sig 2340 in 357sig, it shoots better than i can, is a blast,ha ha , to shoot.
    and recoil is not that bad. Its a fun gun to shoot.

I have Glock 33 in 357 sig and I like it .
    You will have a some of people tall you the recoil like a 9mm and
    some tell you its like a 40 cal. or even a .357 mag
    well, it has to do with the ammo they shot.

I have found that powerball ammo(100 grain) shot just like a .357mag with
    lots of fire,kick and noise.
    but hornady 124 grain was mild , like a 9mm.

I like it because I it CAN shoot like a 9mm or a big bad 357mag.
    I think it like getting a 357mag and being able to shoot 38s in it
    only you have a auto not a wheel gun.

But as deadeye72 said,the cost or the ammo is high.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    It sure does "bark" in my G-27! But it's fun to shoot and like others have said, very accurate.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    it has to do with the ammo they shot.
    indeed! just as most ammunition manufacturers have downloaded the 10mm to the point that its ballistics are barely superior to the .40, they have also downloaded the 357 sig to the point that its ballistics are barely superior to the 9mm. the 357 sig is designed to shoot a 125 grain bullet at 1450 fps giving it a huge advantage over 9mm. sadly, most are now loading it in the 1300 fps range which makes it absolutely pointless to pay so much more for the ammunition when the corbon 9mm 125 grain +P load chrono's within 25 fps of that. some load it in the 1350 fps range but thats still not enough of an advantage to justify the expense.

just as with the 10mm, if youre going to shoot the 357 sig shoot it to its potential or you are wasting your money. sadly there are very few ammunition choices available that are loaded to potential. corbon claims 1425fps on their 125 grain 357 sig load but it consistantly chronos for me in the 1450/1460 fps range. the corbon is the best choice in my opinion for shooting the 357 sig as its loaded to the original intended potential of the round.

corbon loads the 115 grain 9mm to 1400 fps (claims 1350, always chronos out in excess of 1400 fps for me) but it is a relatively light bullet so the 357 sig would still have a considerable ballistic advantage. ive seen some 357 sig loads in the 1900 fps range (100 grain bullets) but thats just to light for my liking.....although 1900 fps could sure make up for a lot.

I like the .357 sig round in both my M&P full and compact pistols. The round seems to be a much flatter trajectory. I think my Glock 23 and my 40 barrel in the full size M&P have more of a torque than recoil. The .357 sig round is somewhat more snappy than a M&P 9mm compact and I use Corbon and DPX for carry in anything that is carried concealed. I do not think the sig round is anything like a .357 magnum round the sig round, in my opinion, is much tamer.

No question it is expensive, but for range ammo try AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors best price for speer lawman I've seen for sig .357.

Links