Bersa 380...any good?

This is a discussion on Bersa 380...any good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dad has kept a Bersa 380 in his closet since we where young. I love the size, feel, and weight of the gun. Are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bersa 380...any good?

Bersa 380...any good?

My dad has kept a Bersa 380 in his closet since we where young. I love the size, feel, and weight of the gun. Are they good guns? Im thinking of buying one to carry. Not to big not to small. IMHO.

2. Remove Ads

Heard quite a bit of good about them on the forum recently. Do a search, I think you'll see some favorable comments.

I have one. I have the CC Model and the trigger disconnect broke on me rendering the gun useless. I got it fixed, but I can't risk that kind of BS in a carry gun. I now use it for introducing new shooters to the sport.

I also have the CC, and just like Danimal, the trigger disconnect for the magazine-safety turned my gun into a brick. I fixed it, and it hasn't happened since, but I'm mostly carrying a revolver with P3AT as BUG nowadays.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

The bersa is a great gun. I suggest giving it a cosmetic makeover though.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-project.html

I have a Duo tone bersa 380 with 2500 rounds through it and it has been awesome. No issues.

I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder .380 and she loves it. The gun shot great straight from the box, and have not had any problems with it performance wise. The only down side that I have found, is that accessories for it are rare. Lasers and night sights dont seem to be available for it. I wish that CrimsonTrace would come out with a set of grips for it. In the interim, I bought some Brite Site paint, and made the front sight orange for better acquistion.
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

I have one. Had to send it in twice within the first year after it quit on me. They are not pistols that you can count on to run and run. I was similarly unimpressed with the warranty repair center.

Great little guns. Everyone who has shot mine likes it. So buy it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I am a .380 fan, but the Bersa drove me nuts. I sold it after about twoyears of use. It is not a high quality firearm. They sell for a lesser price for a reason. That said, if you can take it's flaws, go ahead. Personally, I'd rather invest in a quality Beretta or Sig...even a used Beretta or Sig, then the price difference is little if any.

Bear in mind too that the Bersa comes with only one mag while most other guns come with at least two. Add the cost of that extra mag into the equation and the used Sig starts to look real good.

I had the CC model and had a total failure on the 61st round. Free wheeling trigger and hammer would not move. Took it back and got a blued Sig P232. More $$$ but a very reliable handgun. Still prefer the PM9 for carry though.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I actually looked at this same gun when choosing my carry weapon. I decided not to go with the Bersa because of a couple of reasons:

*reliability- as others have said, they are prone to failure at times, which is no big deal on the range but a major problem as a defense pistol

*.380 round- some guys will argue that anything less than .45 ACP is not enough. Others will say that they will carry nothing less than .40 in their personal sidearm. I go with 9mm and am satisfied with the ability to stop a threat if need be. However, .380 is another cartridge altogether and is considered by many to be inadequate in the stopping power department. This is a debated point and I could be wrong, but personally, that was a factor for me.

Regarding the .380 on stopping power, if the choice is between this Bersa .380 and nothing, carry the Bersa. It'll work with enough trigger pulls, it just won't do the damage as quickly as a larger cartridge.

With only a limited income the most im thinking to spend on a handgun for CC is around 300 bucks. Whats good out there for 300 bucks besides the Bersa?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
    With only a limited income the most im thinking to spend on a handgun for CC is around 300 bucks. Whats good out there for 300 bucks besides the Bersa?
    I found a used Sig P232 in almost perfect condition at a Gander Mtn not long ago for $315, complete with box, accessories and three mags. I carry this gun.

About a year ago I purchased a Walther PPK/S, .380, stainless for $335.

A bit more at $400, but a few months ago I came across a Sphinx AT380. A lesser known but outstanding pistol.

A competent pistol is the CZ83, available in .32acp, .380acp and 9mm Mak for around $350 new and less used of course.

There is the Kel Tec and Ruger, but I avoid them for CCW like the plague. 100,000 pissed of owners can't all be wrong. Some people swear by them though.

Makarov model M can be found used for anywhere from $200 to $400, both in .380acp and 9mm M.

The best .380 on the market is the Beretta 84/85. I found a 85 for $400 and not long ago bought my son a 84, again at Gander Mtn., for $349.

I prefer a used Sig, Beretta or Sphinx in good condition to a new Bersa, especially if considering it as a CCW. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by ripley16; July 20th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Administrator
    You can buy Sig P6's all day long for $300.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links