Summer Glock. Winter Glock

This is a discussion on Summer Glock. Winter Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a G26 for about a year now and competing with it in the SSP division at local IDPA meets. Now, I'm wondering ...

Thread: Summer Glock. Winter Glock

Summer Glock. Winter Glock

I've been carrying a G26 for about a year now and competing with it in the SSP division at local IDPA meets. Now, I'm wondering if I should sell my G23 and just get the G27 model in .40 cal for the 7-8 months of cooler weather.

My theory is that I can compete with the G26 in SSP and the G27 in ESP (in the afternoon) to improve my proficiency and then have the heavier, faster ballistics of the .40 caliber for those months when people (i.e. bad guys) will probably be wearing more clothes. Being the same size, I can use all the same holsters, so that's one less thing to concern myself about.

Or, should I just stick with one or the other all year long and buy more ammo for practice?

What say you?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    You can't have too many Glocks; I like my G27. Your holsters will fit both G26 and G27.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Sounds like you have an itch to buy a new gun! Could just buy a new barrel/recoil spring and turn the 9 into the .40.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    You can't have too many Glocks; I like my G27. Your holsters will fit both G26 and G27.
    True. True. True!
    God bless our troops!

I would sell the 23 and buy either a 17 or 19 for IDPA and cooler weather carry.The money you spend on additional holsters,you will recoup in money saved on ammo!

Don't sell your Glock... you will regret it in the years to come... the Glock 23 is an excellent gun... save your money and buy the Glock 27 when you can, or put it on lay-away.

Again: You can never have too many Glocks.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I'd have to agree with roadrash. Keep the 26 and get the 19 or 17 for IDPA. You can use them for IDPA and cool weather carry. They use the same ammo so you can stock up on one instead of two calibres. Generally, you can use the same holsters for both as long as the tip of the holster isn't closed.

Or, if you prefer the .40S&W round, get the 27 for a matched pair. all the benefits still apply.

One question. Why are you competing in ESP with the .40? It is still SSP class.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

I missed the IDPA part... fast reading... I agree with jualdeaux and roadrash, except for the 17... if you like your 23, and you've probably got a couple holsters why not get the Glock 19... Glock 19 fits all of your 23 holster... same trigger and feel as the 23 and it works great for the IDPA... but still, don't sell any of your Glocks - save your money and keep adding to your Glock collection.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Could just buy a new barrel/recoil spring and turn the 9 into the .40.
    Wouldn't you need a 27 slide to turn a 26 into a .40? The hole for the barrel isn't big enough on the 26 for a .40 barrel. You can go the other way with a lone wolf conversion barrel.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I own the G23, G19, G27. Dont sell your glock you will regret it down the road. I sold a G17 to a friend of mine over 9 years ago and I still wish I had'nt. I hate selling off my guns. I learned my lesson, never again.....

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    wht06rado I believe is correct. I don't think you can convert the G-26 in to a G-27, because the breechface is too small on the 26 slide.

+1 on not selling the 23. You will regret it. I sold my 17 and 26 only because I absolutely had to financially. But I still had a 19 and 23 at the time. I have added a 27 and a 30 to the Glock family.

Why not carry the 26 in the warmer weather and the 23 in the cooler. Either will be sufficient for a SD situation no matter what the BGs are wearing. If you have a good SD round, ofcourse. I use Speer GD 124gr +p in my 9mms and Federal Hydrashoks 155 gr in my 40s.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Lots of good advice. For the record - I have a G17 with extended slide lock release and extended magazine release. I even put the sticky texture tape on the grips, so I'm ready for serious gaming (if only I were younger, faster, and more accurate). My goal is to be proficient with my carry guns and do some gaming on occasion, so I shoot in SSP and ESP the same day with the same stages and can compare my times, scores, etc. So far, I seem to shoot just as accurately with the G26 and a former G27 as I do with the G17 (except on 15-20 yard shots, which is not a typical self defense scenario in IMO).

I tried a number of holsters with the G23 and asked my better half to check how it was printing and it was pretty bad with even a sweatshirt, much less a long-sleeved shirt untucked. And, it digs into my stomach and top of the thigh if I carry IWB abdomen (which is how I carry the G26 with great comfort). I would intend to use the same holsters with the G27 and carry IWB at about 12:30. I've got one of the Galco tuckables and even that works pretty good if I keep my weight down.

That's my dilemma. I'll check responses after work. Thanks for the input everyone.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Why can't you use the G23 for winter time? Using a 40 cal for IDPA would also put you in the major class right? Why not? My G27 was my main summer carry--then I got a G19. I use the same IWB holster for both. Winter usually means going OWB for me unless I'll be going places I'm likely to shed the outer garment, and I'll employ the G17 or G22 if I'm not carrying the SIG ( currently my only 45acp). I wouldn't sell the G26 if I were you. Keep those options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Why can't you use the G23 for winter time? Using a 40 cal for IDPA would also put you in the major class right? Why not? My G27 was my main summer carry--then I got a G19. I use the same IWB holster for both. Winter usually means going OWB for me unless I'll be going places I'm likely to shed the outer garment, and I'll employ the G17 or G22 if I'm not carrying the SIG ( currently my only 45acp). I wouldn't sell the G26 if I were you. Keep those options.
    Just as a clarification, there is no major/minor classes in IDPA.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Links