Getting a 1911 compact

This is a discussion on Getting a 1911 compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rodc13 Like Kerbouchard, I've had an excellent experience with my Kimber 3" 1911. My Ultra CDP II is extremely accurate and altogether ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a 1911 compact

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Like Kerbouchard, I've had an excellent experience with my Kimber 3" 1911. My Ultra CDP II is extremely accurate and altogether reliable. I believe that Springfield also makes a very high quality 1911. You can find problem stories of practically every make and model of every firearm. A quality weapon, properly cared for, will typically return good results.

Of course, there can certainly be lemons, just like the occasional Mercedes.
    Believe it or not Mercedes has alot of problems, I work in the auto industry and have seen them. Just like guns, my first handgun was a cheap Ruger P90 45 ACP, still have it and 5,000 plus rounds later not one single malfunction, then I've seen $1,000 handguns jam like crazy with all kinds of issues so your right.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd spend a little more for a Colt. More $$ but, they maintain their value well.
    Of course I drink the Colt Kool-Aid so mine is not exactly an unbiased opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    Yeah I did hear from others if you do have any problems that Springfield's customer service is one of the best out there. I actually lookswise like the Colt Defender, but again I'm one that doesn't put gun beauty as the number one reason too buy. I do actually like the old look of the GI model. I was also reading some people saying that on some 1911's that getting the feedslide(trying to think of the name), the bottom of the barrel where the bullet feeds up into the barrel, alot of people said getting that polished helped remedy any feeding problem people had.
    The term is feedramp, and yes, you are correct. Polishing the feedramp does indeed prevent or solve a lot of problems with a 1911 or any weapon for that matter. Just be careful with the old GI model, especially in a compact size if you have large hands. There is nothing enjoyable about the hammer drawing blood on the web of your hand with every shot fired.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

YEP Kerbouchard...my Springer will make me bleed every time and thats with WWB ammo! Still ahve the scar on my hand from repeatedly opening it up every week trying to break the gun in.

I have given this gun many chances to be a designated "go to gun" even sent it back to Springfield and should send it back again because its reliability has been absolute crap. it will not and has never gotten thru 1 mag of ammo...ever! well maybe once before stovepiping, double feeding, or any other undesireable outcome. I can hide my 5" just as well as the 3" and would never make the mistake of buying a 3" again. 4" minimum for me. If anybody is interested I would make them a deal on it as it has been a safe queen for the past 4 years! and prolly has less than 300 rounds thru it...all troublesomely put thru as well so go into it knowing that!

But as was stated before even quality, high end car makers have problems so I may just have gotten the lemon of the week. I should send it back to Springer though.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Colt Kool Aid

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'd spend a little more for a Colt. More $$ but, they maintain their value well.
    Of course I drink the Colt Kool-Aid so mine is not exactly an unbiased opinion.
    I also drink Colt Kool Aid quite a bit, and have 8 of them including a 3 inch Defender. It has worked perfectly through about 700 rounds so far. It sure does conceal easily with thin grip panels - the slide is 0.90 inches thick and the grips just over 1.0 inches thick.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Don't forget the recent offering to the Kool Aid addicted -- Colt New Agent. I haven't fired one, but I checked it out at the store and I liked it. Channel sight (ilo of std frt/rr sights), but for carry it looks like it would conceal like a dream

I've always wanted a Colt Officer's model, but with those hard to find the Defender or the New Agent are catching my attention. Maybe trade in one of my 4" Kimbers for one....

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have two compacts. Each has a 4 inch barrel and and Officer's frame. One is a Springfield LW SS, and the other a Kimber blued gun.

I personally would not go with the 3 inch barrel, but would want an officer frame. I find that the difficulty in concealing a 1911 is the grip, and not the barrel. Also that the smaller officer's grip makes more difference in concealment than I would have thought. I have read too many problems with the shorter barrel. Maybe it is much better now considering the time on the market. I just prefer the 4 inch barrel anyway for the increased length of the slide make it easier to sight fast.

Unfortunately SA does not make that compact with the 4 inch barrel anymore. I would prefer it to the Kimber, but would get the Kimber to get the 4 inch barrel.

Regards,
    Jerry

Have these and have had zero problems out of any of them:

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I have both the colt Defender and a Springfield Microcompact .45 duo tone with the tac light. The basic pistols are very nearly clones of each other.Fit and finish are comparable and retail price is a bit higher for the Springer. Sights and frame rail for the light are selling points for the Springer. Springfield has (in my humble opinion) the best customer service period.The benifit of the Defender and Micro compact is the alloy frame and absolute minimal size for concealed carry. Never do any ramp mods to an alloy frame 1911. The ramps are hard anodized and polishing/grinding will ruin it. Also use plastic follower style mags or the ramps get peened up and will result in feed problems. Chuck.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Same question I had; I researched 3" and 4" 1911's until I almost went crazy, here's what I learned or at least have come to believe.

1. It IS NOT just as easy to conceal a commander or government model as it is an officer's grip which is what all of the 3" guns have. There is a physicall difference period. Now how much that grip length makes a difference depends on your size and shape. I'm 5'7 and 160lbs. It makes a BIG difference. I did carry a full size SA Mil Spec. The lenght poked out and printed and so did the grip. I now carry a 3" Colt New Agent and it's far more concealable than any of the commander sized guns I considered and even a bit better than a 4" officers model.

2. I do believe the shorter you go in barrel lenght the more the odds increase that you "may" have problems and have to send the gun back to get it tweaked, however, there's the crowd that says nothing under 4" is going to be reliable and that isn't so.

3. The Colt Defender "appears" to have the best (or one of the best) track records for reliability. I believe the Colt New Agent will do as well.

4. The trench sights on the New Agent are actually great for their purpose. It's just our hang up of being used to one kind of sight that makes it a mental thing. I've had front sights hang up on holsters, even when they had slots. that won't happen with the new agent. I am almost as good with the trench as standard novak night sights. And, I'm surprised that it's a tiny bid easier for me to acquire a sight picture with the trench than with conventional sights. I have poor eyesight but the long line of the trench is just more natural to line up than three dots.

5. I was afraid of 3" recoil in .45. You should have seen me the first time I was pulling the trigger on my New Agent In my opinion my 3" New Agent has less felt recoil than my full size SA Mil Spec. May be different for you!

6. I've read alot about the GI 3" having ejection problems and FTF. Still, I think they're great looking and wouldn't NOT buy one, but would recommend that if you do, that you be prepared to send it back to SA for some work. If you can get it reliable great, if not, then you're not out as much as some of the more expensive guns.

7. I believe the shorter 1911's can be more sensitive to ammo selection. Mine loves Golden Sabers (185 gr) and has never missed a beat with those but it FTF every few rounds with Speer Gold Dots.

I think the pleasure of a 3" 1911 is worth the effort to get one and to get it reliable. Eventually I want to have the SA EMP so I have a short 1911 in 9mm and .45. Then I'll call it good!

Actually looked at a Springfield GI 4in. and must say I was alot more impressed with it for what people in here are saying on it. First I am hearing about feed problems, my boss at work carries a Colt Defender, and he said it jammed, yes even the $300 more expensive gun jammed, and it had nothing to do with the feedrail, he switched to a Wilson Combat magazine and said it feeds perfect now, the gentlemen at the local gun store said the samething, he showed me the Springfield he carried and low and behold he had replaced his magazine with a Wilson Combat. I wonder if all these apparent jams I have heard of in here could be fixed by something that easy. He showed me the top of the magazine where the wilson design at the top as a much easier time releasing the cartridge from the magazine when it is come upward and being chambered because the opening of the wilson opens up wider then the Springfield, also looks like it has that same advantage over a kimber or colt magazine. Those of you that have had a feeding problem might want to try a wilson magazine if you haven't already. At least everything he said made sense and my boss's gun was proof of it.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

TX Husker Fan

Thanks for that good info.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I owned a Springfield Loaded MicroCompact and I was never able to get it to feed reliably, I ended up trading it in and swore I'd never own another officer size 1911. Based on talking to to other owners of officer size 1911's and research on the net it looks like a hit or miss on reliability, although the Springfield micro seems to have more problems than most. I've heard good things about the Kimbers but even they seem to have bad ones from time to time.

The wife recently bought a Springfield armory EMP(officer style 1911 in 9mm) which has about 500 rounds through it now and has eaten every thing we've feed it without any problems. So I'm rethinking my vow to never buy another officer size 1911, but we'll see.

In summary YMMV, but it does seem like the officer sized 1911s have more potential for issues than commander and full size 1911s do across all manufacturers.
    Rob

I have had a SA LW Micro for about 4 years, and believe that I can provide some real world observations:

PITA out of the box. FTF 2nd round in the mag, and rounds nose-diving and not feeding. I sent it back to SA - same thing on it's return. I then educated myself and fixed all of the issues.

I polished and throated the feedramp - it has a ramped barrel.
    Replaced the OEM extractor with an Ed Brown unit.
    I replaced the Firing Pin Stop with an EGW flat-bottomed stop. I lightly broke the bottom edge. This slows the slide a bit, allowing it sufficient time to pick up a round from the magazine.
    Exclusively use WIlson magazines.

I enjoyed the reward from this work, and the gun has functioned flawlessly since the work was performed.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by azagthoth View Post
    I owned a Springfield Loaded MicroCompact and I was never able to get it to feed reliably, I ended up trading it in and swore I'd never own another officer size 1911. Based on talking to to other owners of officer size 1911's and research on the net it looks like a hit or miss on reliability, although the Springfield micro seems to have more problems than most. I've heard good things about the Kimbers but even they seem to have bad ones from time to time.

The wife recently bought a Springfield armory EMP(officer style 1911 in 9mm) which has about 500 rounds through it now and has eaten every thing we've feed it without any problems. So I'm rethinking my vow to never buy another officer size 1911, but we'll see.

In summary YMMV, but it does seem like the officer sized 1911s have more potential for issues than commander and full size 1911s do across all manufacturers.

Actually I looked at a Kimber, I hated their grips more then any other gun! Then edges seem way to squared where they'd dig into my hand. Plus the guy at the gun shop said in his opinion Kimber's reliabilty has went down slightly in the last few years. He said if a Kimber comes in for a problem, its never one that was like 6-7 yrs old, they are the ones 1-3 yrs old. But still said overall they are good, I just will not buy one with how they handle, some people swear by them, just not for me. The Springfield fits perfect for me. If you do get another 1911, try the wilson combat magazines, my friend said it cured his jamming colt, and the guy at the gun shop had one in his springfield and he said no problems at all with the improved magazine.

Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links