Getting a 1911 compact

Getting a 1911 compact

This is a discussion on Getting a 1911 compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to get a compact 1911 model for conceal carry, and was wondering if anyone here had experience with the Springfield 1911 GI ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a 1911 compact

Getting a 1911 compact

I am going to get a compact 1911 model for conceal carry, and was wondering if anyone here had experience with the Springfield 1911 GI micros(3in barrel). I realize they make "prettier" guns, but I do like the throw back look to the WWII era pistol and have fired a similar one many years ago a couple of times. But just wanted to see if anyone in here has this gun and what you think of it.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    I have a Springfield Loaded Champion (1" longer) and Springfield makes a great 1911! Dunno about the compact, never felt the need to lose an inch or two rounds!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Compact 1911s

I made a similar inquiry last year on another forum (M1911.org) and I was left with the feeling that the 3" model 1911 has a very colorful reliability history. Like always it depends on who you talk to, but in my case, I also witnessed numerous FTRB/Stove Pipe problems from fellow shooters on the range. It didn't seem to be localized to one manufacturer. I've seen compacts made by Kimber, SA, and Para-Ordnance all jam...a lot.

Personally, I had a Kimber Tac Pro II (4.25") that had terrible reliability. I could only conclude the shorter, compact versions may not be a good investment if your priority is reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_79 View Post
    I made a similar inquiry last year on another forum (M1911.org) and I was left with the feeling that the 3" model 1911 has a very colorful reliability history. Like always it depends on who you talk to, but in my case, I also witnessed numerous FTRB/Stove Pipe problems from fellow shooters on the range. It didn't seem to be localized to one manufacturer. I've seen compacts made by Kimber, SA, and Para-Ordnance all jam...a lot.

Personally, I had a Kimber Tac Pro II (4.25") that had terrible reliability. I could only conclude the shorter, compact versions may not be a good investment if your priority is reliability.

Thats interesting and helpful, the main reason I wanted the 3in was concealment, guess I will have to look into it, maybe the 4 in might not have the same issues. Because reliabilty is always the number one priority and should be, a bad gun then looks good, but doesn't work is pointless, not to mention a waste of money.
    The only other one I was considering was the Colt Defender, just wasn't crazy about spending over $200 more for it if funcionality they are almost the same.
    Last edited by Scott; August 14th, 2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: profanity
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

I've had no problems with my 3" 1911. I chose Kimber over Springfield, but with Springfield's customer service, and my experience with Kimber, I have no doubt either would be a great gun.

As far as concealment, I don't think the extra inch helps all that much, but I also don't feel like the loss of that inch hurts in accuracy. I love my Ultra Carry and can shoot it almost as well as my Grand Raptor.

Go with the one you like best, and be confident that either Kimber or Springfield will make it right if there is a problem.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I was lucky and found a 4" slide with a 7 round officers grip, Kimber compact pre series II. With 1 in the pipe I get 8 rounds total and have the same size grip but the added reliabllility of the 4" guns. Best of both worlds really :)

I went thru a similar decision process, and for the same reasons as yours and bought a 3" Colt .45 New Agent. I have a little over 1,000 rds. thru it, including 2 boxes of HP's, without a single malfunction of any kind. For my situation its the perfect concealed carry gun; 23oz. empty, 7+1 capacity. After getting used to the trench sights, I can keep almost all shots within a 5" dia. circle at 21 ft. Fits my hand perfectly, has a great trigger, and its a good looking gun if one is concerned about such things.

Like Kerbouchard, I've had an excellent experience with my Kimber 3" 1911. My Ultra CDP II is extremely accurate and altogether reliable. I believe that Springfield also makes a very high quality 1911. You can find problem stories of practically every make and model of every firearm. A quality weapon, properly cared for, will typically return good results.

Of course, there can certainly be lemons, just like the occasional Mercedes.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

My problem is I keep desiring to carry my full size guns unless its t shirt weather :)

I go up...then to the saller gun...then back up like a yo-yo!! :)

Do the best of all...bobtail a Pro, Commander, or Government model for carry.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

UHhh I don't know

my SA micro only requires about 200 rounds of fmj to break in

but then it runs fine... also +P is a no no

I love it - best of both worlds I get my .45 in my snub's size!!

The pleasure derived from my three 3" 1911s doesn't compare with my happy marriage...but it may "place" among other things!

I've had no issues with any of the 3" sized Kimbers I've owned (two 45's and one 9) that weren't solved when I changed from the stock Kimber mag to the KimPro mags. Oops for got an occasional FTF when I use Blazer Brass (maybe 1 in 100 rounds) and the fact that the 45's do not like Remington "bulk buy" JHPs. No issue with any other ammo (I usually practice with Blazer Brass or Winchester "white box" and carry Federal Hydra Shock, Federal HSTs or Winchester Personal Defense).

If you continue to ask others, you will find that there can be mechanical issues with any firearm.
    I like my Kimbers and have never had issues with any of them. That Ultra CDP II is a great shooter, has smooth custom lines, and is easy to CCW.

Stay armed...get a 1911...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I've had no problems with my 3" 1911. I chose Kimber over Springfield, but with Springfield's customer service, and my experience with Kimber, I have no doubt either would be a great gun.

As far as concealment, I don't think the extra inch helps all that much, but I also don't feel like the loss of that inch hurts in accuracy. I love my Ultra Carry and can shoot it almost as well as my Grand Raptor.

Go with the one you like best, and be confident that either Kimber or Springfield will make it right if there is a problem.

Yeah I did hear from others if you do have any problems that Springfield's customer service is one of the best out there. I actually lookswise like the Colt Defender, but again I'm one that doesn't put gun beauty as the number one reason too buy. I do actually like the old look of the GI model. I was also reading some people saying that on some 1911's that getting the feedslide(trying to think of the name), the bottom of the barrel where the bullet feeds up into the barrel, alot of people said getting that polished helped remedy any feeding problem people had.

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links