Defensive Carry banner

Best Revolver for carry ?

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Boss Spearman 
#1 ·
I am looking for an additional Revolver friends. I currently have my model 37 but looking for a 4 inch barrel and something I can conceal in a good holster and belt combo. I seen the 45acp revolver from SW but it looks big. I thinks its a 625. :cool:

#2 ·
If the 625 is too big, look into the K frame size if you want bigger than a snubnose. Model 66 maybe?

I find the 3" GP100 I just got to be the perfect size for a full sized revolver, personally, but it's basically an L frame so it might be too big for you, plus it is heavy.

If that's too much, I think they make 3 and 4 inch versions of the SP101. That would be a fantastic way to get the long sight radius and long barrel without a lot of bulk.

I find carrying the revolver in front of the hip works wonders. I carry my 5" barrel 629 sometimes. I'll be carrying it this week actually once my Thanksgiving time off commences. The problem with carrying this way however is that it is a pain to sit down, bend, etc. I find the 4" barrel of my 686 has the same effect, just slightly less.

My 3" GP100 however I can carry strong side IWB right on the hip or slightly behind it and it works wonderfully, or I can carry it forward of the hip and it is extremely comfortable.

#3 ·
Blue - much I think may be down to what concealment methods you can use. True as Euc says - maybe the 3" L frame category for size would be good but yeah, some weight there - tho I have no prob myself with weight.

I did for some weeks a ways back carry my M28-2 4" very successfully - the rig was actually for a 3" but otherwsie it was no prob, carried well for me (OWB), and would do it again.

Some folks like an old Model 10, then another piece I rather like is a Taurus M66 4" - this is a bit like a Smith really and mine is actually a superb shooter and trigger, tho it does not get a lot of use - it's one of the house guns.

I have pics of M66, M28 and others if required.

#4 ·
The S&W Model 66 is a great gun. But seems a bit heavy for CCW. I actually trained on the 66 for the PD. Got me to open my eyes how accurate a 4" barreled revolver could be.

#5 ·
I've been carrying my 2.5" S&W M66 for the last week or two. I'm using a cheap OWB holster and while the holster itself isn't the greatest, I'm really starting to think OWB may be the way to go for all my future rigs. I'm also thinking about switching the std. Hogues to wood boot grips for better concealability but that's just personal preference. (I still drool over the 686s and GP-100s every time I see them in the shop too).

Last time I was at the gunshop/range they had a 3" S&W M60 that was very VERY tempting. I guess it comes down to which caliber you want and then finding a suitable maker. I would think that a 3" to 4" in K or L frame size wouldn't be that much harder to conceal than anything else. Most of us already go untucked when carrying IWB anyway, right?

There is a notable weight difference between my 642 and 66 but the OWB holster is so much more comfortable that it only took a couple of days to adjust to the change. As soon as the Holidays are over I'm probably going to invest in a good pancake holster for the 66 and call it good.
Jack

#9 ·
Oh, and the Model 640 is real popular too but I personally consider it a very robust snubnose and not a full sized revolver, plus I don't think that's the barrel length you are looking for.

It's basically a K frame size, or a J frame size with a full size barrel then I guess. The Model 60LS looks like a good way to get a lot of revolver in a slender package.

K and L frames are like when they make a knife in a bigger size and a smaller size... personal preference kind of thing!

#10 ·
Bummer, looks like I'm too late. There are S&W N-Frames in 3" configurations. I have several and carry them. You can get 44 mag, 44 special, 10mm, 40 S&W, 41 mag and 45 acp. There is the 696 which is an L-Frame that I also have.

I will qualify that I am not a small framed person, so I can conceal large guns easily. In fact a Glock 17 is front pocket carry for me. :biggrin:

Have fun shopping.

-Scott-

#12 ·
I've carried everything from a single-action mini-revolver .22 to 1 7/8"-barrelled .38/.357/9mm revolvers to 3" .357/.38s to 4" .357s to 4" .41 mags to 5" .44 mags to 6" .357 mags - all concealed. (I used to manage a gun store, and I've been a gun nut forever.)

For pocket carry with a revolver, I've found that not much beats a 2" Colt Agent. Mine is from 1976 with a factory hammer shroud and is factory okay'd for +P usage. It's 15-oz weight is negligible, it's controllable, and it gives you six shots in a package that's just a teensy bit bigger than the 5-shot J-frames. My 3" S&W 36-1 (5-shot J-frame) is also carryable in the pocket, but it's a little long for some pockets, and a little heavy for some pants. I was not able to carry my SP 101 in the pocket, but it worked great IWB.

For IWB carry of the revolver, I've found that the 5-shot J-frame 3" S&W 36-1 .38 spl is a dandy. However, a 3" K-frame S&W 65 .357 works every bit as well. I prefer "appendix" (up-front) IWB carry with these 3" revolvers. I've extensively carried a couple of 4" .357 revolvers (S&W 686, S&W 13) concealed behind my hip, and that's worked fine as well - but it's not as comfortable for me as the 3" revo up front.

I've found that the 3" K-frame carries as easily as the 3" J-frame. I've carried L-frames and the Ruger GPs as well, and they work well . . . but I do think they carry a little "bigger" - so they're not quite as comfortable for me. The N-frames, well - I've carried them. They are not at all comfortable IWB for me. (And I'm quite trim, BTW.)

Having attempted concealed OWB and shoulder carry of revolvers, I have decided that these methods just don't fit my lifestyle. I don't think they fit many working folks' lifestyles, frankly.

Drat! This board won't let me attach a picture of what I bought just this Saturday for carry - a 3" S&W 65-5 K-frame - so maybe this link will work:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/530103904/m/967107078

#17 ·
What I've been wondering - at this may be a stupid question - we all know the K-frame Smiths only tolerate limited magnum use but what about the steel J-frames? Particularly the 60 and 640, the same limited use or did S&W beef up the designs to handle running magnums more frequently?

In time I'd like to get a 686 or GP100 but the J-frames are just so easy to carry and conceal, it'd be nice to carry a .357 year round instead of just in the cooler months.
Thanks!
Jack

#18 ·
Erich said:
Thank you, OD! I usually have no problem with posting pics, etc., but this board's software has been confounding me. Thanks!
I also find myself in a position that doesn't alow me to post the full pics without posting them as an attathment. I'd rather show them within the window, but can't figure how to do it.. What a dummy I am LOL :biggrin:

#19 ·
SP101 Rules!

tex45acp said:
I have a Ruger Stainless & Hammerless SP-101 that I carry whenever I carry a revolver. Accurate and easily controlable when shooting 125gr. .357mag ammunition.
Agreed. IWB or OWB you can't do any better than a DAO Sp101. It's what I trained my daughter on when she was 10 and what she now has as a married adult.

#20 ·
Bob, best thing for your pics is to host them somewhere like photobucket - then hotlink within the ''img'' tags - to get on-page display. I have my own servers and so bung loadsa pics up there ready to use.

As OD did too of course - often possible to hotlink to a pic on another board or site.

Don - not concealed hammer but otherwise much same - my SP-101 - the 2 1/4" bbl.

#21 ·
You know, that's exactly what I tried (from my photobucket acct, just like I do on all the other forums where I post), but it kept telling me it was an impermissible file type.

And it's a regular .jpeg !

Oh well, the photo's up now, thanks again to OD!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.