SA XDSC vs. S&W M&P Compact?

This is a discussion on SA XDSC vs. S&W M&P Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which gun would you recommend for cc? The Springfield XD Sub-Compact .40? Or the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .40?...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SA XDSC vs. S&W M&P Compact?

Question SA XDSC vs. S&W M&P Compact?

Which gun would you recommend for cc? The Springfield XD Sub-Compact .40? Or the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .40?

2. Remove Ads

I would have to go with the XD. I have an XD 9mm and love it. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck and it conceals perfectly.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

The XD hands down, I carry the 4" XD40 and I love it.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Does the XD being chunkier than the M&P make that much of a difference when you carry it? How does the trigger pull feel?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhunter828 View Post
    Which gun would you recommend for cc? The Springfield XD Sub-Compact .40? Or the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .40?
    When I was initially choosing a handgun for cc, the final two candidates were the XD and the M&P. I finally decided based on how they felt in my hand. The sale price and the M&P rebates also helped tip the scale.

I have had no regrets on my choice. I joined the M&P forum The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com and found a lot of information on pros and cons and reliability of the M&P. One of the trainers on the forum is conducting a torture test on the M&P 9c that currently exceeds 25,000 rounds.

I am so happy with the M&P that I just purchased the newly released M&P 45c. I love shooting it and it will become my primary carry as soon as I have enough rounds through it to assure its reliability and Crimson Trace comes out with a LaserGrip for it.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. I think they are both good choices.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Do you have the 3 white dot sights on it? If you do, how do you like them?

Does the XD being chunkier than the M&P make that much of a difference when you carry it? How does the trigger pull feel?
    I carry in a SmartCarry holster, so chunkier, within limits, would not be a criteria. I now carry with an attached Insight Procyon weapon light that adds width to the M&P but still hides perfectly in the SmartCarry.

The trigger started out a little gritty but has smoothed out considerably with lots of live and dry fire. I am happy with the results, but there are several smiths that offer trigger jobs that have been popular. One of the smiths even published a do-it-yourself trigger job claiming the M&P is one of the easiest handguns to work on. I used the first few steps of his instructions so that I could remove the thumb safety activation lever to install the CT laser. I am tool-use challenged, but found the instructions so well documented with pictures that I had no difficulty.
    Howard

What's the ballpark of "lots" of rounds through it? I heard that the trigger feels spongy, is that true? Does it make that much of a difference if it is?

Do you have the 3 white dot sights on it? If you do, how do you like them?
    Yes on my M&P and I have not had problems with them. I can shoot fairly well with them, but I am at the stage where the weapon shoots much better than I do. I'm not sufficiently experienced as a handgun shooter to really comment any more effectively.

I was contemplating tritium based night sights and a CT laser. I ended up with the laser because of the training benefits. It has helped with my trigger control. With an attached laser and weapon light I'm no longer pressed to get night sights. I may eventually get them, but my training schedule with the current new tools is overfilled.
    Howard

What was the price range on your laser (if you don't mind my asking)? Where'd you get it at?

I've got an XD 9 service and I'm planning to get either an XD-M 40or an M&P 40.

They are both great guns and I think it comes down to how they feel with you, I haven't heard of any problems with either.

I will say that the grip safety on the XD appeals to me. I've never been comfortable with the Glock theory of a relatively light trigger being a safety (I've had triggers get caught on shirts when I was reholstering). But that's just me.

I read that with the trigger safety on the XD makes it feel spongy, is that true? How do you like the grip and trigger safety when you're shooting it? Does it get in the way or anything?

What's the ballpark of "lots" of rounds through it? I heard that the trigger feels spongy, is that true? Does it make that much of a difference if it is?
    I have over 500 rounds through my M&P and thousands of dry firings using A-Zoom snap caps. I continue to dry fire using the laser as a guide to how smooth my trigger pull is.

Again, I'm not sufficiently experienced to know about how other triggers feel. However, I would not describe any part of the trigger pull as spongy. The break is clean and the reset matches my current abilities. I occasionally use a timer to see if my split time is improving. It is improving but I still need practice. Of course, the trigger is only a small contributor to split time.
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I have over 500 rounds through my M&P and thousands of dry firings using A-Zoom snap caps. I continue to dry fire using the laser as a guide to how smooth my trigger pull is.

Again, I'm not sufficiently experienced to know about how other triggers feel. However, I would not describe any part of the trigger pull as spongy. The break is clean and the reset matches my current abilities. I occasionally use a timer to see if my split time is improving. It is improving but I still need practice. Of course, the trigger is only a small contributor to split time.

Who makes the rounds you put through it? And what ones do you use when you carry it?

I read that with the trigger safety on the XD makes it feel spongy, is that true? How do you like the grip and trigger safety when you're shooting it? Does it get in the way or anything?
    I've never noticed that the trigger feels "spongy" and I don't even notice the grip safety (it's less noticeable than the grip safety on a 1911).

If you can you should find a range where you can rent both guns and see what you think.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links