I put a king cobra on layaway today have some questions

This is a discussion on I put a king cobra on layaway today have some questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I put a colt king cobra on layaway today(I plan on picking her up next week on payday )its stainless w/a 4" barrel and ...

Thread: I put a king cobra on layaway today have some questions

I put a king cobra on layaway today have some questions

Well I put a colt king cobra on layaway today(I plan on picking her up next week on payday )its stainless w/a 4" barrel and factory rubber grips. This gun handles beautifully and points just as well. And the action feels like a well made swiss watch,in fact everything about this gun is as smooth as silk. My OTD price was $500 which I feel is a great deal the gun is like new.

Now my questions are is it safe to dry fire with snap caps? And is it true S&W k and L frame leather fit the king cobras? I've been thinking of getting ken null's UNS or Gibraltar speed scabbard. I would think either of these would hide this gun nicely,what are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I have a 8" barrel KC that I bought in 1989,I have always dry fired mine without snap caps,no damage done yet!The single action trigger on mine is awesome,double action is not too bad,I have felt worse,it stacks a little more than a Smith.$500 sounds like a decent price,I think any holster built for the L frame will work, since The L frame and the KC both have full lug barrels,holsters for the K frame probably will not work!

Enjoy your new revolver,mine is hyper accurate,and fairly strong,although the cylinder only locks in the rear,unlike a Smith that locks fore and aft.

According to Galco's web site, both a 4" KC and a 4" L frame take a FL104 holster so I'm guessing that what you've heard is accurate, at least for the mass produced leather holsters. However, given the cost and this on Ken Null's description of the speed scabbard:
    This form fitted scabbard needs no retaining devices as it relies completely on its exquisitely formed contours for retention.
    I'd be hesitant to spend that much money without calling him and asking him about fit.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Now my questions are is it safe to dry fire with snap caps? And is it true S&W k and L frame leather fit the king cobras?
    My advice: do NOT dry-fire a King Cobra without snap caps! One may indeed not have any damage, but if one does, ONLY a trip to the Colt factory will get it fixed. Replacing the firing-pin assembly requires special equipment which only the Colt factory has. Snap caps are cheap insurance.

From Colt Forum: Is dryfiring a Colt DA bad? - ColtForum

COLT FORUM - ColtForum

I have an L-frame holster which fits my King Cobra begrudgingly--I don't think K-frame holsters would be very likely to do so (at least not boned or fitted holsters).
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

+1 on snap caps to dry fire, cheap insurance against breakage. No experience with the holsters.

Links