Glock 26 vs. Glock 39 (9mm vs. .45 GAP)

Glock 26 vs. Glock 39 (9mm vs. .45 GAP)

This is a discussion on Glock 26 vs. Glock 39 (9mm vs. .45 GAP) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Glock 26 and Glock 39 are identical in size. (Feel free to look them up on Glock's website to verify.) The Glock 26 fires ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glock 26 vs. Glock 39 (9mm vs. .45 GAP)

Question Glock 26 vs. Glock 39 (9mm vs. .45 GAP)

The Glock 26 and Glock 39 are identical in size. (Feel free to look them up on Glock's website to verify.) The Glock 26 fires 9mm rounds, and comes standard with 10 round magazines. The Glock 39 fires .45 GAP rounds, and comes standard with 6 round magazines. According to ballistic tests, the .45 GAP and .45 ACP have identical ballistics at the common grains, the only difference being that the GAP fits in smaller-framed guns.

Ammoman.com will give you 1000 rounds of .45 GAP FMJ (for target practice) for $350. You can generally find decent hollow points online for the same price as .45 ACP hollow points.

The Glock 39 is as small as the smallest sub-compact (9mm) Glock, fires the round with the most stopping power, ammo is readily available at good prices, and the .45 GAP has recently been chosen by many of today's law enforcement departments, as well as the USMC.

I was really leaning toward a Glock 26 until I discovered the new .45 GAP and Glock 39. Assuming I can handle the larger caliber without any loss of accuracy, can anyone think of any reason *not* to get a Glock 39?

Thanks,
    Raystonn

I nearly forgot to mention that, as I live in California, I cannot carry more than 10 rounds in a magazine. Extensions are available for Glock 39 to get it up to 10 rounds, so the limit on number of rounds doesn't really apply...

-Raystonn

Wow, you're right. I didn't realize the Glock chambered for GAP was thinner than the ACP.

It's an oddball round if (ammo prices, EOTWAWKI, etc.). 'Course a handgun isn't exactly the weapon of choice for EOTWAWKI.

I would expect GAP to be snappier than ACP due to less case volume. I don't know how much so. I might be entirely wrong here.

I wouldn't let those reasons dissuade me from it. Sounds interesting.

Price of practice ammo, and ability to get off a second shot quicker would be the two things I would consider.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    For that size Glock, I'd lean towards the G27.

Glock 27:
    CALIBER: .40
    WEIGHT: 560 g / 19.75 oz., LOADED (~) 765 g / 26.98 oz.
    LENGTH: 160 mm / 6.29 in.
    HEIGHT: 106 mm / 4.17 in.
    WIDTH: 30 mm / 1.18 in.
    BARREL HEIGHT: 32 mm / 1.26 in.
    BARREL LENGTH: 88 mm / 3.46 in.
    LINE OF SIGHT: 144 mm / 5.67 in.
    MAG. CAPACITY: Standard: 9, OPTIONAL 11/13/15/17

Glock 39:
    CALIBER: .45 G.A.P.
    WEIGHT: 548 g / 19.33 oz., LOADED (~) 718 g / 25.33 oz.
    LENGTH: 160 mm / 6.30 in.
    MAG. CAPACITY: Standard: 6, OPTIONAL 8 / 10

Glock 26:
    CALIBER: 9x19
    WEIGHT: 560 g / 19.75 oz., LOADED (~) 740 g / 26.10 oz.
    LENGTH: 160 mm / 6.29 in.
    MAG. CAPACITY: Standard: 10, OPTIONAL 12/15/17/19/33

The Glock 39 weighs a little less than both the Glock 26 and Glock 27, loaded and unloaded, and it has a more powerful caliber. I don't see the point of going with the Glock 27?

-Raystonn

Quote Originally Posted by Raystonn View Post
    I don't see the point of going with the Glock 27?

-Raystonn
    If you don't mind looking for ammo online or giving up 3 shots in capacity, than you may have a point.

I'd go with a Glock 26 if it were me.

The main reasons are: availability of ammo, cost of ammo and ease of shooting.

If you go in to a Mom & Pop store to buy ammo in Podunk, AR you may not find 45 GAP. You will find 9 mm. The same is true in South Africa, Australia and Hong Kong on the Black Market in those countries.

9 mm is cheaper to buy and shoot. Also, there is a wider variety of ammo available on store shelves to select from. Want it hot? you can load up with a +P+ load in the 9 mm. Want it soft, there are some nice soft shooting and accurate target loads available for the 9 mm.

As far as "Knockdown Power" no handgun round can be counted on to be 100% reliable, and they all stink. Having said that, I prefer the .357 magnum due to it's reported "Stopping Power" but I expect to have to shoot more than once and don't count on one bullet to do the trick. I've seen .357 magnum fail to stop, and 12 Guage too, if that tells you anything.

Biker
    sensei2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    If you don't mind looking for ammo online or giving up 3 shots in capacity, than you may have a point.
    I don't mind buying ammo online at all. In fact, it's cheaper that way for all calibers, so everyone should be doing it.

As far as capacity, California doesn't allow more than 10 rounds per magazine, which is the maximum for the Glock 39. So that's not really a restriction.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning toward the 39 now.

Thanks,
    Raystonn

I don't mind buying ammo online at all. In fact, it's cheaper that way for all calibers, so everyone should be doing it.

As far as capacity, California doesn't allow more than 10 rounds per magazine, which is the maximum for the Glock 39. So that's not really a restriction.

Thanks,
    Raystonn
    I agree with buying ammo online ahead of time if you can. Most all of the time I get my ammo from ammunitiontogo.com. Here's another site with a good FMJ GAP deal:
    Georgia Arms - .45 GAP

$305 for a 1000rds

As noted here already, finding it locally if you need to may be a problem.

As for the capacity, that's with the standard mags. That's also why the 39 is lighter loaded. If you don't mind the physically larger mag sticking out of the grip, then you are good to go. For carry, I'd prefer the physically smaller overall package.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks,
    Raystonn

You have compared ammo prices,so you know,you can shoot the
    9mm almost twice as much as the 45 GAP for the same coin.

In the same size carry package the 26 carrys 40% more ammo on board.

The 9mm has been around for 100 years,and is the most prolific handgun cartridge in existance,will the 45gap still be readily available in ten years.

The 9mm Glocks are the most troublefree pistols in Glocks lineup.

There is really no appreciable difference in effectiveness
    between the major calibers with modern high quality defensive ammo.

Ammo is not always cheaper online,I have yet to find an online vendor that can beat with shipping included ,Wal-Marts price of 18.00 per 100, WWB 9mm fmj practice fodder.I buy my carry ammo online!

The 45 Gap IMHO is a solution looking for a problem.I would take the 26 over the 39 anyday,the only other glock sub I personally would consider would be the 27.
    sensei2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    As for the capacity, that's with the standard mags. That's also why the 39 is lighter loaded. If you don't mind the physically larger mag sticking out of the grip, then you are good to go. For carry, I'd prefer the physically smaller overall package.
    You know, that's a really good point. I can't concealed carry in a reliable way with a giant magazine sticking out of the bottom. I'm now leaning toward a Glock 26 for CCW and Glock 37 (full sized .45 GAP pistol w/10 round mag capacity) for home defense.

Thanks for the insight!
    Raystonn

I don't know why, but I'm intrigued by the GAP Glocks as well. I'm looking more towards the compact model rather than the sub compact. I'm not a fan of the sub compact plastic guns.

As for as the ammo availability, that's why you buy the ammo before you need it and buy lots, not when you need it. I keep between 800-1000 rounds on hand for my 10mm guns.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Between the two, I'd choose the G26 for many of the previously posted reasons (ammo availability, higher capacity, slight reliability edge...). The slide on a 39 is wider than a 26's; it's the same width as a G21/30 slide. I used to have a 26, and liked it well enough...but:

If you're looking at 6 shots of .45, why rule out the G36? 6 shots of .45ACP, in a package slimmer than a G26. It's slightly larger than the G26--longer barrel, longer grip--but, you also can get your whole hand on the grip, instead of having to curl the pinky. And, while, yes, there are extensions for the G26/39, the ONLY time my G26 failed was when it was using extended mags....
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Go with the Glock 26... I've owned mine for about 6 months and love it... I'm now shooting this as well, if not better, than my Glock 19... utterly reliable, not one FTF or FTE... 9mm is much cheaper to shoot than any other caliber ammo... and shooting the Glock 26 is much easier to get back on target for quick and accurate followup shots... think shoot placement, not stopping power... just my 2 cents, and food for thought.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links