Finally got a SIG

This is a discussion on Finally got a SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always like SIG's. They are well made, reliable and very ergonomic, not to mention there are a ton of accessories available for them. However, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a SIG

Finally got a SIG

I've always like SIG's. They are well made, reliable and very ergonomic, not to mention there are a ton of accessories available for them. However, I considered SIG's somewhat pricey compared to the competition so I never bought one... until yesterday.

I was at a local gun show over the weekend and several of the dealers had SIG 225/P6 police trade in's for sale. For those that don't know, these are compact versions of the 9mm SIG 220 used by the German or Swiss police & military that were sent to the factory when the departments upgraded their inventories. They have been hitting the US market for the past year or two and vary in condition from good (mainly holster wear on the slide and grips) to like new. Most come with cleaning kits, owners manuals, the original factory box, two magazines, a holster and spare mag pouch. Anyway, after shopping around I found a like new pistol with all the previously mentioned accessories for $289 and decided to take the plunge. I got it home, took it apart and aside from some dust and grease under the grips, the gun seemed to be in excellent shape. While they are in good shape, I'll be replacing the plastic factory grips and sights with aftermarket night sights and a nice set of walnut grips I found on the internet. So, at $300 for the gun/accessories and about $100 for new sights and grips, I've entered the world of SIG. FYI, these guns have a single stack 8rd mag which makes for an almost 1911 style feel when you hold the gun and is EXCELLENT for people with smaller hands!

I'll post a review after I get a chance to take it to the range and will add a couple of pix after I install the new parts. This is a very well made gun at an outstanding price and if it performs like I think it will, this will definately be a keeper.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the Sig. Sounds like you got a good deal. Sig's are great guns. I have a 220 SAS .45acp that is an excellent shooter and totally reliable. I paid a pretty price for it but I've never regretted buying it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

I just bought 1 at aim surplus ,they come with 2 magazines and a german holster for 269.95 + S&H. and they have them in stock,some places on gunbroker are wanted 300+ for the same setup
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very, very nice pickup.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy the SIG!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    You're about to find out just why they cost a little more than the rest of the pack!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Now you've gone and done it... You wont be able to stop now :)
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    The 225/P6 was my first Sig also. It felt good, but the one I got was a lemon. It wouldn't feed HP rounds and the barrel was loose making it very inaccurate. But I did love the feel so I brought it back to the gunshop and used the refund on a 229.

Sigs are amazing handguns. It's scary how accurate they are. Yes I got a lemon for a P6, but most of the stories I've heard from members here tell me that my gun was the exception. You will be very pleased now that you are a member of the Sig family. The only problem is, they're like potato chips. You can't have just one.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Go to Top Gun Supply right this very instant and order yourself four (4) factory P225 magazines. They won't last, and if you don't need all four (limit per customer) you'll be able to make a tidy little profit on GunBroker before too long...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Sponsor
    TGS is out of them again already.

I've secured 5 mags for my p-6, that should be enough as I don't plan on ever carrying it. If I carry a Sig, it's the "220 carry". I've got two more w german 220's from the 80's put away as well.

Good pickup on the P-6 sir. The ones that won't run hollow points have the older barrel with a different feed ramp configuration. If yours doesn't like HP's, it's the barrel feed ramp and likely one of the older P-6's. A new barrel or a smith readjusting the feed ramp will solve the issue.

Edited to add: The feed ramp on the P6's changed in 1989, from 54 to 52 degrees, according to Sig. This change was to facilitate the feeding of other types of bullets, beside the round ball ammo which the P6's original designed for the Germans police.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Go to Top Gun Supply right this very instant and order yourself four (4) factory P225 magazines. They won't last, and if you don't need all four (limit per customer) you'll be able to make a tidy little profit on GunBroker before too long...
    Thank's for the heads up, but I checked there earlier and the site said they were already out of stock.

To answer AzQkr: my gun was made on 3/82 and I'm pretty sure it's the original barrel since it has a serial number and the number is the same as the one on the frame. When I finally get to the range I'll bring several different types of ammo to see if there is a feeding problem with any of them. Hopefully, by the time I can get to the gun range all my new parts will be here and I'll have them installed. Besides, with the new sights I ordered I'd have to sight the gun in again anyway and I'd rather do everything at once and save myself an extra trip, especially with our 100 degree plus weather here in TX lately (it's an outdoor gun range) and the price of gas!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    Thank's for the heads up, but I checked there earlier and the site said they were already out of stock.
    Sorry. They just sent out the in stock notice yesterday...

Oh, and the ProMag P225s are crapola, I am afraid. (I have one and had tons of feed issues when I brought it to the range.)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Yep, Top Gun Supply is the place to go for SIG goodies. I just bought two mags for my P229 there, the best deal I found and super fast service.

I had to get on the e-mail notification for "in stock" in order to get hold of them.

Yes, Pro Mag=Crap...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Congrats on the new gun to both of us.

I picked a P6 up this weekend for just over $300 including tax. I figured it was an ok price, since I didn't have to pay shipping or a transfer fee like I would if I ordered one. Plus they let me handpick the best looking one of the bunch. :-)

Just shot it today for the first time. It's quite accurate and a nice shooter. I shot about 50 hps through it and about 25 fmjs. Two FTF with hps. Both occured over half way through the magazine. The gun came with two mags, one looks to be brand new, the other has wear on the floorplate indicating that it is well used.

The older mag is the one that had feed problems. No problem with the new mag. The spring feels lighter in the old mag, so I'm thinking a new spring from wolf may solve the problem? We'll see.

Also the hps I was using are the flat nosed type in the white Winchester box. I bet it will feed Gold Dots or Golden Sabers fine, since they are more tapered and sort of rounded on the nose compared to these. I'll try some and report back.

I had been wanting to get a 9mm, since I sold all the ones I had a few years back, but now 9mm is the only reasonably priced ammo. I bought 100 WWB at wally world for 19.99. The hps were 50 for just over $20. Way cheaper than .45 or 38 Spl.

I also picked up 125 rounds of empty brass someone left at the range :-) I'll mostly be reloading them for target shooting from here on out.

Hopefully someone will get some Sig factory mags on the market soon so we can both get some. I too missed the ones mentioned above. They had already sold out. I'm on the email notification list as well. I'd like to pick up at least two spares just in case.
    Last edited by sgtD; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added pics
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links