Opinion: What is the useful lifespan of Polymer Frame Guns?

This is a discussion on Opinion: What is the useful lifespan of Polymer Frame Guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what kind of useful lifespan I could expect from my polymer frame handguns. 10 years? 20 years? I know that I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: What is the useful lifespan of Polymer Frame Guns?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Lightbulb Opinion: What is the useful lifespan of Polymer Frame Guns?

I was wondering what kind of useful lifespan I could expect from my polymer frame handguns. 10 years? 20 years? I know that I will likely not be handing them down to my grandchildren but I would also like to know what the total cost of ownership per annum is. I am not interested in the cost of ammo or accessories factored into that equation. Will a $500 only last 10 years, thus costing me $50 per year? How many of you have shot 10k, 20k, 50k rounds through your poly pistol? I will take your responses off the air. Thank you.

~Siafu

2. Remove Ads

Don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to hand it down to your grandchildren. While a polymer frame gun isn't as pretty as a metal one it should last much longer than you will.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Cool

Every time I go to the gun store I try to like a 1911 but they are either too heavy, too clunky, or WAY too expensive. I don't have a problem spending $500-$700 for a quality weapon but some of the 1911's are $2000+ and that to me is just absurd. Next purchase for me is a S&W Revolver. Not sure if it will be a Scandium or just an Airlight but I have wanted a wheelgun for quite some time.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Every time I go to the gun store I try to like a 1911 but they are either too heavy, too clunky, or WAY too expensive. I don't have a problem spending $500-$700 for a quality weapon but some of the 1911's are $2000+ and that to me is just absurd. Next purchase for me is a S&W Revolver. Not sure if it will be a Scandium or just an Airlight but I have wanted a wheelgun for quite some time.
    I couldn't agree more. I can't justify spending 2,000 dollars on a 1911 that does nothing better than a 800-900 dollar 1911 with the same features (ambi safety, beavertail, etc.). If I had the money to blow on a super high end 1911, I might do it, but I don't.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I agree, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a firearm. It's just not in my budget. There are plenty of good, functioning and reliable 1911's for under $600. Think of the ammo and accessories you could buy with the difference!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

It'll last just fine until the day you leave it on top of your dashboard and forget it whilst checking on some livestock down in the back forty...

"The only plastic that should come near a gun is a credit card."

Here in Phoenix I've seen several officers' Glocks chip and crack after becoming brittle in the daily heat. Just a matter of time until a catastrophic failure.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have two 19s that are 16-17 years old with no problems. All original except for night sight install. For the record, I don't think a little heat affects them. Sunlight might. UV has a way of breaking everything down, including a humans skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwarvet View Post
    It'll last just fine until the day you leave it on top of your dashboard and forget it whilst checking on some livestock down in the back forty...

"The only plastic that should come near a gun is a credit card."
    And anyone who leaves a gun on a dashboard and forgets about it.....oh, nevermind.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I do not remember the number of rounds, but Chuck Taylor I think it was, conducted a test of a Glock. The number of rounds numbered almost 200,000.

I do not think sunlight will have an adverse impact on the ones owned by any of us, and believe one will spend thousands of dollars on ammo before the $500 - $700 gun expires.

I just called a friend of mine who is a Glock armorer, and works with the city, of which many of the officers have used Glocks for over 10 years. He has not heard of any problem with the frames.

Life of the frame or the gun would not be a consideration for me.

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    According to GLOCK:
    The Glock patented polymer frame has been tested to be able to withstand temperatures ranging from -40F to +392F so my guess is that long term exposure to extreme and extended Ultra Violet is the culprit doing the damage rather than Hot Car temperatures.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

UV is any plastics worst enemy.... I dont see why a glock or any other polymer wouldnt last long enough to "pass it down"

Unless you are planning to open carry your polymer frame pistol everyday in the hot desert sun, carrying concealed would make this a non issue anyway.

I bet my Glock 26 will outlast me!
    God bless our troops!

Brown safety: $35
    Brown sear: $45
    Brown hammer: :$65
    Barrel Lug : $20
    Brown Bushing: $45
    Fitting (if you don't roll your own): +/-$200
    Total:$410

New Glock frame and all internals: $375

You might do a little better or worse, depending on the market and whose parts you use, but Glock is still a better buy than a comparably reliable 1911 that requires rebuild at +/- 20K.

Sponsor
    I would also like to know what the total cost of ownership per annum is.

Lets see, glock 17 with 90+k through her since 1988. Thats 20 years of life so far at an original cost of 400.00. Seems that would work out to 20.00 per year [ and thats if it broke right now and could not be repaired.

I've spent something over $18,000+ in ammo costs in that 20 years on this one gun. Think I can afford to buy another glock for 500.00 if that glock 17 failed today? I likely won't be here in another 20 years, but the per annum cost goes down every year I own and shoot it.

BTW-It's my present carry piece supplemented with a 3rd gen 19 and a Sig 220 carry.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links