Defensive Carry banner

Novice looking for CCW

2K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  jwhite75 
#1 ·
I just took a firearms safety class in prep for looking for a handgun for personal protection that I can carry concealed if I need to. I'm not that familiar with guns yet - learned a lot in the class (first time handling a semiautomatic - Beretta 9mm - quite a kick with each shot) and on this forum. I'm not a big guy - 6 feet, 165 pounds, with fairly small hands.
The Beretta was a bit large for me to handle comfortably and I don't see how I could conceal a handgun that large on me.

Do you have any advice on what types of guns I might rent to practice with at the shooting range to help me select one? From what I've been reading some people carry .38 revolvers and .380 autos that are not difficult for someone my size to conceal and use effectively.

#13 ·
M&P 45?

I'm very curious. I've seen a lot of people say on forums, that they carry a full sized weapon like an M&P in a Smart Carry. I just bought one and I can't see for the life of me, how you are keeping the butt from sticking out like you've been fantasizing about a case of whipped cream and the Deal or No Deal case holders! Tried it with my M&P 9mm. What am I doing wrong? (My Kel-tec PF-9 hides reasonably well with business casual pants.)

#4 ·
Try a bunch. Narrow your choices , then come back and ask again. A lot will depend on what feels comfortable to you.

#5 ·
Another Welcome from Dallas!

If your local range rents 1911's, any manufacturer would be a good place to start. Most 1911's, have slimmer grips, and are easier to conceal and to hold. I, also, like the feel of the XD9 or XD45, that is Springfield XD 9mm or XD 45.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Beretta 9mm, but if you are beginning to shoot for the first time, I will throw out my standard recommendation. If you are the type of guy who likes to learn for himself, I would recommend a semi-automatic in .22 caliber(I like the Beretta Neos), if you prefer great(but costly, and cheaper in the long run) education, I would recommend you make an appointment with somebody who gives lessons on pistol-craft.

It's not always easy to learn a new skill, and you should not expect this to be something you can 'just pick up'. Quality instruction goes a long way, and will help you decide on the pistol that is right for you. With quality instruction, your options, as far as pistols, will also increase dramatically.

Most problems with platforms, or recoil, or accuracy are related to the shooter, and not the gun. The ability of the shootist/concealer, greatly outweighs the attributes of the gun.

I personally like the 1911 due to it's inherent point-ability, and I like the XD style pistol due to the 'relatively' cheap price, capacity, reliability, and the grip.

With small hands, you should probably look at something that is single stack rather than double stack, but you would be surprised with what you can really do when you get good training to start out with.

It takes a lifetime to 'unlearn' bad habits, but only an afternoon to learn the right ones to begin with(don't get me wrong, it sill takes practice..

Good luck, and stay safe out there!

#6 ·
Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions; I'm making notes so I can further research and get more hands-on training as you suggest. Your forum here has so many knowledgeable and generous folks; I'm glad I came across it.

#8 ·
We're glad you came across it, too. Who knows when the point or suggestion that you bring up, might help save one of our lives.

Again, welcome aboard, and feel free to ask all of the questions you like. Post count or 'member status' mean absolutely nothing at this forum. Stick around a while, this forum is a wealth of information.

#7 ·
I wouldn't really worry too much about recoil and handling issues. Practice is essential and pretty much anything you get, you will get used to real quick.

9mm is a good caliber, and there are many guns out there that are easy shooters in 9.

If you really want to start with a .380, I suggest the Bersa .380. It's a straight shooter and real easy to handle. It conceals like a champ, too.

#9 ·
Find a range that rents guns. Try several in different calibers. All of the web sites have threads that talk about the various calibers and the discussions get pretty heated.

First you need to shoot and shoot a lot. Shot placement is the most important aspect of the business. Take a couple of classes.

Second, find a gun that fits your hand and you can comfortably conceal. Concealment is as much about the right holster, the right belt, and proper clothes as it is the gun size. If you are serious about carrying then suck it up and buy a quality holster and belt.

Shoot different calibers. A lot of new shooters are intimidated by the .45, but in reality it is not any "harder" on you than 9mm. My Taurus PT-145 has a more controllable recoil that my Keltec P3AT. Recoil is as much about weapon weight and barrel length as it is about caliber.

Whatever gun you decide on you will find people on these sites that hate it and love it. Ultimately you need to decide if you are confident and comfortable enough to carry it every day.

#10 ·
There are lots of good guns to choose from.

I would recommend going to a gun show (I know twist your arm :image035:) and test feel which guns feel right in your hand to create a short list. With the short list see if friends, family or forum members are willing to try the guns or go rent them if they are available.

Here are my personal recommendations.
1. Kel-tecs P3AT or PF9 or P11 guns are perfect sized guns but will never be range guns that you shoot all day. They are light, more challenging to shoot well and in 380 or 9mm versions for good fire power. Price below $300.
2. Bersa Thunder 380 and CC version. Good single stack heavier all metal gun with a good price (below $300). Everyone who has tried mine has liked them.
3. M&P 9 or 40 Compact double stack gun. With the replaceable back straps, most people can find a good grip that works for them. Another gun that everyone who has tried mine has loved shooting it. Larger than the two above but it is surprisingly easy to carry, shoot well and very reliable.
4. J-frame sized revolvers. In 357 version, I would recommend an all steel version like a S&W Model 60 or 640 or Taurus 605. The Taurus is cheaper than the Smith but is a very good gun. You can get grips (finding the right grip can cost some $$s) that change the feel of the gun.

So, hopefully this helps and please make sure the gun feels right for you and points well for you. If you can meet these two requirements you have found the gun for you. Generally you do not have to worry about reliability and you can go used if you find one of these.

Let us know what your get or if you boil it down to a couple of choices because we are not opinionated at all :rofl::bier:

#11 ·
I will definitely report back my experience and what I have narrowed down my choices to. I will look into every model mentioned in this thread and hopefully get to experience each - it just so happens there are gun shows regularly here in Marietta (I have never been to one, as I have just recently acted on my interest in learning about CCWs for personal defense) but you can bet I'll be at the next one. I appreciate all of the opinions and feel like I'll be better "armed" with some of your invaluable collective wisdom in learning more about and acquiring a CCW. My sincere thanks to all.

#14 ·
Glock 19 9mm. Easy to conceal, accurate, easy to find parts/accessories for, good capacity, etc. And, Glock 9mm's are arguably the most reliable pistols on the market.

#15 ·
For ease of carry, numerous accessories available and/or parts available, and ease of operation (point and shoot) capabilities, I would go with a Glock or a J Frame Revolver. J frame the obvious caliber would be a .38 special. In the Glock 9mm would get the call for me. The above suggestion of a Glock 19 is a very good one. BTW...spend the little extra and get night sights. Its worth it.

#16 · (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestion. I would like to try a Glock 19 at the range I am going to this weekend. Do you think though that it's size (almost 7 in in length) is a problem for concealment (say in an IWB holster) given my size (I'm 6 ft, 165 lbs)?

#27 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I would like to try a Glock 19 at the range I am going to this weekend. Do you think though that it's size (almost 7 in in length) is a problem for concealment (say in an IWB holster) given my size (I'm 6 ft, 165 lbs)?
Nope. I'm 5'10" and about 170 (when I'm in shape :biggrin2: ) and have no problems concealing it IWB with a good holster and belt. I know several guys shorter and/or smaller than me that have no problems concealing one.

#18 ·
I carry a G19 in either a Blackhawk Serpa or Comp-Tac Infidel IWB holster. As other members have mentioned before, try out as many handguns as you can, then make a decision. I made the mistake of flat out buying my handguns without trying them, and I've lost a lot of money in the process. In the end my Glock 19 became my EDC.

#20 ·
My $0.02!

Observations and trade-offs:

Weight / Size / Barrel Length
The lighter the gun, the easier it is to carry.
Lighter usually means smaller in size.
Lighter weight can involve the use of aluminium or polymer instead of steel, compromising wear over time when compared to a steel gun.
Smaller in size usually means reduced rounds carried in the gun.
Lighter weight will result in more recoil.
Bullet size can be reduced in caliber to off set recoil, which reduces knockdown power.
Shorter barrels are easier to carry, but the sight radius is also shorter, which then takes more time and effort to align the sights.

Revolver / Auto
A SW642 with 1 7/8" barrel in .38 +P is a small and light gun to pocket carry.
Revolvers are very slow to reload, even with practice, compared with an auto.
A small automatic is much quicker to reload.
Small automatics in larger calibers have really stiff recoil springs, and it can be tough to rack the slide.
Smaller autos can be less reliable due to the shorter slide and barrel.

Jamie

#21 ·
I would like to second, or is that third the Glock 19... unbelievably reliable, accurate, easy to carry handgun, and inexpensive compared to a lot of handguns.

Another alternative is the SIG P239 (9mm version)... personally, I have large hands and carried the P239, but it was too small and hard for me to keep a good grip. It was a very reliable gun with no FTF or FTE's ever. After buying the Glock 23, I decided to sell my P239 and buy a Glock 19.

Find a range and rent any guns you are considering.

#22 ·
Welcome to the asylum bameroni where everyone is nuts about guns! :rofl:

#23 ·
TRY and handle as many as you can before you buy. 9mm is good choice for an all around use in a semi auto, Take a look at the Glock 19, the Kahr's, S&W MP, Springfield XD. They have full size, compact and subcompact models in each. For a revolver, a .38/.357 is a good choice. I'd look at the Ruger SP 101 and the S7W j -frames, like the 642, 638. That is a good starting point and see what you like from there. It is all a matter of personal choice and what good and point good in your hand , as well as what fits you budget, both in buying the gun and a decent holster, along with buying ammo so you can practice and get proficient with it. 9 mm and . 38's are about the cheapest way to go, because they are common, reasonably price ammo is widely available. With a decent holster, a good gun belt ( not a common dress belt ) you'll be surprised what you can comfortably carry concealed.

#24 ·
I might suggest a HK p2000sk. You can try it in 9mm, 357 or .40. I have a .40 and 357. My wife carries it everyday in an M-tac holster. Very accurate and easy to handle. You can also change the grip on it to better fit your hand. Its not cheap but an excellent carry weapon. I carry a HK USP .45 CT....thats what we all carry here. The USP is larger but dead on as well. HK has several weapons to choose from if it's in your budget.

Jessie

#26 ·
Hi Bameroni-

You've been given a lot of good advice above. I agree that your best bet is to try them out at the range, and go to a big gun store, and just "feel" the one's your interested in. Once you've picked your caliber, go with what feels comfortable. It's very personal.

Just my preference: I like the CZ-75 PCR Compact 9mm, and the Ruger LCP .380.

#28 ·
Welcome,

If your a gun person. you'll end up like the rest of us, and own a whole bunch before it's all said and done.

I went through 5 carry guns before settling on one that was small and light enough to carry, and powerful enough to do the job if needed. Of course that was 15 years ago. i didn't have a resource like this site and there weren't as many guns being made to cater to the CCW market back then.

If your not really a "gun person" and don't think you'll become one, which some people justifiably decide, then stick with a double action revoler. It doesn't get any safer or easier to learn to operate. There are drawbacks as have been mentioned, but there are also several distinct pluses: No jams, no safeties, no expensive magazines to collect, not finicky about ammo etc. JMO YMMV.

#29 ·
Thank you; these postings are providing me with quite a bit of education for sure. They are also encouraging as the participants here are not only enthusiastic but they offer sincere advice and assessments of their experience. It's fairly new to me so I don't know how devoted I will eventually be but since I took my firearms class two weeks ago I have pretty much spent all of my spare time (and thinking about it when I didn't have spare time) researching and trying to learn more about CCWs for my purchase; I am thinking now that I will probably be considering not just one but more than one CCWs as I get familiar with them and acclimated to what it is like to carry. Not trying to rush things at all as I need to practice more at the firing range where I took the class and am really looking forward to a Gun Show in Marietta in August.

The firearms instructor was very helpful and has convinced me to look at semi-automatics - give them a chance through practice - as he feels that they may be a better fit for my carrying needs. It's interesting as his (firearm's instructor's) preferences were for Springfield and Ruger's; he seemed to have issues based on his experiences with Glocks (he was in the Navy as a trainer for 22 years before he acquired his gun shop). The large Beretta (9mm) that I practiced with was the 1st semi-automatic I've ever had in my hand. It was a bit large for my hands and the kick took some getting used to. I was able to hit the target at 15 feet with all of my 50 shots but only two were n the bulls-eye circle. The instructor told me that I should not worry about that as most of my shots were a little low of the bulls-eye and he felt that it was because I was so new to shooting I was "anticipating the recoil" and lunging slightly forward with each shot. He recommended renting a .22 pistol sometime to improve target shooting.

Thank you again for your helpful insights.

#30 ·
I am 6'3", and 265 lbs. I carry a G23 in anIWB, quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.