Left-handed CCW?

Left-handed CCW?

This is a discussion on Left-handed CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Background: I have experience with long-arms, and some with military 9mm Beretta. I have a shotgun for home defense, that my wife and I practice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left-handed CCW?

Left-handed CCW?

Background: I have experience with long-arms, and some with military 9mm Beretta. I have a shotgun for home defense, that my wife and I practice with regularly. I am investigating concealed carry, with the plan to carry IWB or pocket, depending. So far, I prefer 9mm (or .38 +P).

And I am left-handed, and I don't have time and money to try out every handgun to see if I can figure out a left-handed manual of arms.

Any suggestions?

Kel Tec p38t other than the mag release is pretty much lefty friendly. Charter makes lefty revolvers. Can't remember if the Ruger LCP has a slide stop or not, I think it is pretty much a spitting image of the P38t though, so I am guessing it does not.

Welcome to the forum from the gunshine state!

I'll preface this by saying that even though I practice with my weak hand, I'm not left handed....

From a cc perspective, the only difference that I'd be terribly concerned with in most defensive scenarios is my ability to access the safety. Slide and mag releases are way down on my concern list and regardless, can easily be mastered with time and practice. With that said, I'd look for one of three things......either an auto with an ambidextrous safety, a DAO auto with no safety at all, or a revolver. Personal preference is one of the many good DAO autos out there. I carry a Kahr, but there are dozens to choose from, including Glock, Springfield, Sig, etc.... If you can find a range with a rental program you can try out a bunch. If not, choose a quality pistol that feels good in your hand and you won't likely go wrong.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

The Smith & Wesson M&P series is ambidextorous. The magazine release can easily be changed from RH to LH and the slide release can be engaged from either side.

Lead Moderator
    Get a pistol without a manual safety.
    Get a ambi safety pistol.
    I don't the time to list all the pistols that you could use as a lefty.............start searching.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    HK P2000SK has left hand slide release and mag release standard.., set up and ready for lefties right out of the box. This is not a pocket gun but rather holster sized. It is an excellent sidearm for personal protection.

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Lefty here and I carry a XD with no external safety with either jframe snub or the LCP as a bug. If I were to advise you I would say if you feel the need for a external safety then go with the S&W M&P compact line. All controls are ambi, safety, slide release and mag release.
    You can get it with the safety or without. The slide release is nice but not nessesary for me to be ambi. TMHO because I slingshot the slide in combat style shooting senerio training and practice one hand racking on my holster or boot.

The only reason I carry the way I do is I want to pull what ever gun I need to and pull the trigger, be that XD, revolver or LCP. No safety means I do exactly the same thing ever time. You don't want to be thumbing your revolver for the safety nor trying to squeeze your 1911 to death to make it fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Kel Tec p38t other than the mag release is pretty much lefty friendly. Charter makes lefty revolvers. Can't remember if the Ruger LCP has a slide stop or not, I think it is pretty much a spitting image of the P38t though, so I am guessing it does not.
    It does but it doesn't hold have a follower function to make the slide stay open after the last shot.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

I am also a lefty, but practice with both hands. My current carry is a J frame and that works just fine. No safeties to mess with, and reloading is actually easier using my left hand and holding the gun with my right. Now, auto's....as par with what everyone else said, either an ambi safety, or don't worry about it. The mag release is really easy to manipulate with your middle finger on the left hand. The one thing I would like is an ambi slide release. Most of the time I will be releasing the slide with my off hand, but if I am injured, knowing I can function with only one hand would be nice. But don't sweat it too much, go to your gun shop and see what feels good in your hands.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Another lefty here and I carry either a Glock or a 1911. The Glock, since it has no external safety isn't an issue to me. I've always used my index finger to press the mag release. No problem. I do, however, slingshot the slide because of the slide release being a bit tough for a lefty.

The 1911s I have are all equipped with an ambi-safety so, to me, they are just as easy for a lefty to operate as a Glock.

The biggest problem I've ever had being a lefty is finding a good holster. While most manufacturers will make a left handed version of most of their holsters it is almost always a special order and takes a while. Other than that, being a lefty is no problem.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

Lefty

I am a lefty and have done what you do not want to do. After buying several different types and sizes of pistols I have ended up with three carry pistols. If I were starting over I would choose differently. I do like to shoot and go to the range several times a month. I like semi-auto pistols over revolvers. As a lefty I would look at and shoot before I bought these guns:

HK P2000 series, they have compact and sub-compact models. Kahr pistols. Springfield Armory EMP, although not as ambidextrous as some pistols it has a very good trigger and ambidextrous safety.

These guns are not pocket pistols. Last you should look at and shoot a good revolver. You may like them over semi-autos. You need to find a range or gun club that will allow you to shoot several different pistols. Otherwise you will buy many guns and holsters trying to find the one that works for you.

This is what I carry now. Kel-Tec P32, XD9sc and sometimes a Hi-Power. It goes without saying I have not taken my own advice.

Good luck,

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I am also a lefty. If you decide to go with a revolver, its no big deal as any quality revolver works fine for lefties. With semi-autos, the big issue is the safety/decocker. Slide releases and mag releases can be dealt with. If your budget can stand it, an S&W M&P 9 Compact would be my recommendation. For a bit less money the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra-Carry is very good for lefties. The Kahr pistols are DAO and no safety to worry about, but they are a bit pricey. IF you like them, Glocks are very reliable and are also DAO. The Glock grip is different, and some people (including me) don't care for it; others find it to be perfect.

Holsters can be a problem. All custom makers have left-handed models, but you may have to wait a while and they tend to be expensive. Standard holsters are also available for the more common guns, but can be hard to find for less popular models like the Bersa (Note: Galco and Don Hume holster for the Glock 19 fit the Bersa perfectly).

Best of luck in your search!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

You've probably spent most of your life adapting to right hand products, so almost any handgun will become second nature. I think lefties have an advantage with the slide and mag controls on most autos. The hardest thing for me is learning to be right handed with my wallet, phone, keys, even walking the dog.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    The Smith & Wesson M&P series is ambidextorous. The magazine release can easily be changed from RH to LH and the slide release can be engaged from either side.
    +1 I'm a lefty and the M&P line is my choice. It's also nearly idiot proof, which is why I love mine.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Thanks for the replies.

I am reassured that I won't need to stay with revolvers.

It seems like every day I have a new favorite. Kel Tec PF-9. Then S&W M&P. Then Ruger SP101. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and spend some time at the range.

Pity me.

Welcome and good luck! I shoot lefty too (although I'm right handed...it's a long story involving the eye dominance thing). I carry a Kahr CW9 and have had no trouble with it. DAO, so no external safety. Mag release is on the left side, but it's actually easier to hit with your index finger than with your thumb. I usually slingshot the slide also, but I read an article recently by Massad Ayoob that suggests an easier method for reloads by lefties: when you slam in the magazine with your right hand, keep the fingers extended straight up and they'll end up right in line with the slide release. Just pull the fingertips down onto the slide release and presto! Anyway, any of the DAO-type semi-autos should be fine. Revolvers are good, but I have a hard time reloading them very efficiently left handed. As far as holsters, I got a lefty Crossbreed Supertuck for my Kahr in about 2 weeks and it's been wonderful. Once again, good luck.
    -LP-
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links