Walther PPS?

Walther PPS?

This is a discussion on Walther PPS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here have any experience with the Walther PPS guns? I figured I'd ask as they've been out a while now,are they issues I should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS?

Walther PPS?

Anyone here have any experience with the Walther PPS guns? I figured I'd ask as they've been out a while now,are they issues I should know about before investing in one? I held one for the first time yesterday and it dawned on me that it would make a nice pocket pistol that could also be a primary CCW. Thanks for any info guys.

awesome guns for playing at the range, although you would never see it in a holster for CCW on me..

A search for "walther pps" in the subject line brings back 25+ discussions from earlier in the year. I know a number of folks with the PPS have posted about the reliability, function, fit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I love mine. I have almost 1000 rounds through it so far. I carry it either in a SmartCarry or pocket holster (BUG). I have a First Edition model so the crappy metal/gray paint on the frame is peeling, but I can send it in for a replacement.

I believe the problems were due to a bad spring design in the 9mm version which was shown while using 147 grain ammo. This was a problem with some of the earlier models. I think all the issues are worked out now.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Oddities

I do not like the odd mag release location and when examining one at a gun show, that had the mid-sized magazine that you could get your pinky finger on, I had trouble getting the mag to drop because it was touching my palm. (The mag extension goes all the way to the back of the grip.) These two items killed the sale for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with the Walther PPS guns? I figured I'd ask as they've been out a while now,are they issues I should know about before investing in one? I held one for the first time yesterday and it dawned on me that it would make a nice pocket pistol that could also be a primary CCW. Thanks for any info guys.
    Though I haven't done an extensive range report on mine or my wife's PPSs, here's a link to what I have posted. To date, both guns have been absolutely flawless. I recently bought the 40 PPS as just one of those things I thought I had to have. My wife's 9mm PPS is her carry gun. So far, I would judge them as an excellent buy and both of ours will be staying with the rest of the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    awesome guns for playing at the range, although you would never see it in a holster for CCW on me..
    I would appreciate if you could elaborate on why?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I prefer the old PPK's from Germany, I actually think S&W has done them a dis service as the early models were proned to problems. However later models seem to be doing better. May I suggest looking at the SIG P232, this is a very high quality weapon. Don't let the 380 naysayers get you down. Buffalo Bore has some 380 Golden Sabers that are traveling at or abover 9mm speeds. I do think the Sig's and PPK's are a bit to big for pocket carry, unless you wear cargo pants all the time.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    I resisted offering much of an opinion on the PPS for a while, mainly because I didn't want to spark the "Mine's great" type of a debacle.

I took a loaner out a few months ago to try it out, and hated it. It worked reasonably well, but it was nowhere near as refined as a polymer pistol selling well north of $500, and it most cases approaching 6+...
    The trigger was horrid, like something you would find on a $200 pistol, the grip was unnatural and it was awkward in hand. Malfunction drills were tough.
    If I really liked the PPS, I would save myself some cash and buy a Taurus, but if I really wanted a nice micro 9, I'd buy a Kahr.

Sorry guys, I call 'em like I see 'em.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This just makes me want a Glock "single-stack" 9mm all the more.

I looked at one today and outside of the magazine release, there ain't much I care for. I was considering it as a "pocket gun" as my Kahr didn't work out.

Oh well, I guess it's true, "wheelguns rule and all others drool." I'll keep my J-Frame, thank you.

Biker

I had one, but sold it off to get a lighter, smaller pocket gun. It was reliable though.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    Howcum?

It's light,small, comes in 2 fine calibers(9mm .40sw) and was Specifically
    designed for ease of carry concealed.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    I do not like the odd mag release location and when examining one at a gun show, that had the mid-sized magazine that you could get your pinky finger on, I had trouble getting the mag to drop because it was touching my palm. (The mag extension goes all the way to the back of the grip.) These two items killed the sale for me.
    I had the exact same complaint about the mag release lever. It was very awkward to use and even when i did get my fingers in a position to push the lever down to release the magazine, my grip on the gun prevented the mag from moving due to the way the grip and mag are designed together.

I simply couldn't make the purchase knowing that in a self defense situation I am not going to have the fine motor skills needed to reload that gun under stress even if i have trained the crap out of it.

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

bae
    I've put over 1000 rounds through mine, and like it quite a bit. Haven't had any failures.

My main complaint is the difficulty in finding spare magazines that haven't been marked up sky-high.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This just makes me want a Glock "single-stack" 9mm all the more.
    Biker
    Or a S&W M&P 9mm compact!

I like my PPS .40 cal so much that it has taken over the 340PDs role and my Glock 27s role for pocket, OWB and IWB carry. It is a pleasure to tote and accuracy and reliability have been a dream for me. I'll always have a place for the 340PD and G27 but it speaks volumes that there is a gun made that I would consider replacing those two with. I can't believe how well the PPS handles recoil too.
    It is a pleasure to shoot fairly hot loads in. The trigger is a well thought out deal as well. I like Glock triggers and this is as good or better in my opinion.

My MTAC IWB and Mernickle OWB holsters for the G27 work perfectly for the PPS as well.

I like the mag release. I would prefer not to have to train for two different types but I will adapt.

I like my many carry options so much that I bought three more six round mags. Now I can do up to two on the belt (oh, yeah, the 1911 Mernickle double mag holders for my leather belt / holster rig work perfectly with the PPS mags) and two in my front pocket (short nylon pouch) plus the five rounder in the gun.

Man it feels good having that kind of accurate firepower in the front pocket of your slacks. I carried it there for ten hours today and it never became cumbersome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links