357. Mag hearing question.

This is a discussion on 357. Mag hearing question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to pick up a .357 for defensive carry (Currently use .45 or 9mm).. I keep reading around the internet about how the .357 will ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 357. Mag hearing question.

357. Mag hearing question.

Looking to pick up a .357 for defensive carry (Currently use .45 or 9mm).. I keep reading around the internet about how the .357 will blow your ear drums out if used inside and even outside and stories about people who shot them without ear protection for the first time throwing the gun thinking it has exploded.

I have tired to find some dB measures to compare a .357 to other guns, and some places list a .45 acp louder than the .357 mag and others have the .357 mag louder, (only 5 dB louder/less seems to be the ) but most have a consensus that the .357 is about 10dB louder than a .38. If I recall right 10dB= twice the loudness based on the human ear.

So .357? is a myth that its soo freaking loud.

I guess also what makes one bullet louder than the other? I know the speed of the bullet supersonic vs subsonic, but is it the overall amount of powder?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    thats never happened to me. You can definitely feel a difference but I've used one to hunt with and no my hearing is great.

Myth, absolutely. While asserting that it's a myth it is always smart to wear proper hearing protection with using it, or any firearm for that matter.

Sometime before my dad retired a co-worker was going on and on about how a .357 Magnum was so powerful that its recoil would split open a shooter's hand. My dad snorted that his tiny daughter-in-law could handle the .44 Magnum with ease and the .357 was not such a fearsome round.

Some people just have to make it up as they go.

VIP Member
    What say?

10dB= twice the loudness based on the human ear.
    Negagtive on that. 3dB is twice the loudness. 10dB is roughly TEN TIMES.

(Sorry I have no useful input on the .357mag topic, all of my 357s are bottomfeeders!)

VIP Member
    I know there is a bunch of muzzle flash with hot 357 loads in a short barreled revo. I don't think it's louder though.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    What say?

Heh, heh! Good one.

I'm there on hearing damage only I did it to myself way back at 18-20 shooting mass quantities of .38 Special without hearing protection.

If you are shooting it without ear protection..... it is loud, and consistent use that way would probably cause some hearing loss. But, that's true of almost any gun. However, in a self defense situation..... it will also make bad guys run and who cares how loud it is at that point. It won't break your ear drums, at least it never has mine and I've shot them inside and outside numerous times. I guess there could always be that 'one' case with anything.

To me, they are not louder than a .45 cal. Both are louder than a .38 , without doubt.

I've never shot a 357 indoors and I can't really say whether it's louder than a 45 or not. What I can say is that in my younger, stupider days I did a lot of shooting without hearing protection (that was for sissies) and I can say without a doubt that no handgun round hurts my ears as much as a 357. For me, it's not the actual decibel level as much as it is the pitch. Just seems to have a much higher frequency "crack" compared to the "boom" of other handguns. In a defense situation, you'll never hear the sound. You may feel the effects the next day but I do not believe that a single defensive situation inside a room would cost you your hearing. In the unlikely event that you did end up with some slight amount of hearing damage, I'm willing to bet you'd consider that a fair trade for your life.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My 9mil is bearable to shoot without hearing protection. With my .45, I need adrenaline to compensate for my sensitive hears.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

On a typical trip to the range, I will shoot .380, .357, and .45 +P. The .357 is noticeably louder.

I, too, have wondered what a .357 would do to my ears, unprotected, if fired down my hallway.

.357 is LOUD. If I'm ever in a SD situation, I don't think I'll really care.

I know at the indoor range I go to my .357 is definitely louder than my .45, .40, .38, or 9mm. I can feel the percussion from that thing. Outside it doesn't seem as bad. I'm sticking with the .40 for house defense. I love the .357 round, but I love my hearing more. The way ammo is going up I can't afford to practice with it anyway...

I think the .357 is crazy loud but a blast to shoot. I would think in a defense situation with your adrenaline running so high you would already not hear as good along with not having as good of sight.. i dont know if its true, just thinkin..

Back when I was younger I would shoot an old Cold .45 1911 without hearing protection without to much pain. But the other day I was talking with the wife and forgot to put my left ear plug in while shooting a 2" .357 snubbie and WOW!! That hurt my ear!! Im not sure if its cause of the short barrel of my revo but it did hurt...actual pain in the ear which I have never felt before with the .45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links