New user question on .45s

This is a discussion on New user question on .45s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I figure I can never learn too much about concealed carry, guns, etc. So I'm looking forward ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New user question on .45s

New user question on .45s

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I figure I can never learn too much about concealed carry, guns, etc. So I'm looking forward to reading all your posts.

I am currently carrying a Sig pro SP2022. I really love this gun, but as a carry, it seems a little bulky.
    I'd rather have a .45 to carry and was thinking of the Para Warthog.
    I'm interested because of a few factors. S/A on the first shot - every shot, hi-capacity and small size.
    Currently I do not own a .45 caliber anymore and wanted to find a 1911 style.
    Thought maybe I could kill two birds here. The biggest thing holding me back is the price.
    Is there a good reason that anyone can give me that this would not be a good choice or investment?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome! Regarding the Para Warthog, I found it to be rather thick/wide in the grip for comfort and concealability. I ended up with the Para Slim Hawg instead.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe there is a high capacity yet thin 45 on the market. What do you think is high capacity?

I would recommend you look at the MP45compact would be a good choice.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe there is a high capacity yet thin 45 on the market. What do you think is high capacity?

I would recommend you look at the MP45compact would be a good choice.
    well you're right, high capacity is relative. but i figure a 3" slim .45 would hold about 6 rounds, right? just seams like that's not enough.

I'll look at the m&p and take that into consideration. i see that it holds 8+1.

Welcome!

The M&P's are nice to carry, and fairly easy to conceal. Is there a reason you want a .45 as opposed to a .40? Just thinking if you want more capacity, Glocks have higher than most and with the G27's 8+1 and the G23 at 13+1...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes.

well you're right, high capacity is relative. but i figure a 3" slim .45 would hold about 6 rounds, right? just seams like that's not enough.

Gee, and I carry a 6-Shooter as my "Primary" off duty gun most days. Somebody please send me the Memo that 6 rounds is not enough, I must have misplaced it.

Biker

I carry a Hawg 9 from time to time. I love it for it's 1911 platform, 12 rounds in a magazine, and small body. I've yet to have an issue with it firing manufactured loads, it doesn't seem to fire reloads very well because the chamber is so tight. Also, as someone else noted, it is pretty wide. I normally carry mine when I'm wearing a white T with an open shirt around it.

It's a great gun and Para Ord is a totally reliable company. I've never had anything go wrong with the gun or the company.

If you are looking for a smaller package though, as I did after carrying this for a bit. Check out the Kahrs. I purchased a CW9 and I carry it most of the time now. Hope this helps!
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    Welcome!

The M&P's are nice to carry, and fairly easy to conceal. Is there a reason you want a .45 as opposed to a .40? Just thinking if you want more capacity, Glocks have higher than most and with the G27's 8+1 and the G23 at 13+1...
    +1 on the line of M&Ps. Welcome to the forum.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

+1 on the Kahrs. I have a P9 that I love. Never held any of their.45's, but I am sure they are great.

This thread and a few other threads I vaguely remember have scared me off from Para products:

Para-Ordnance Warthawg - Range Report & Warning - THR

Even ones of older manufacture worry me a little, though not nearly as much.... but if something gets hokey with a Para with an LDA trigger, I think I might be needing Para customer service, as it's not like finding a regular 1911 guru.

Too bad, too. Their double-stack 1911's fit my hand perfectly - I'd love to have a reliable Carry 12.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

My Kimber Ultra is 7+1...plenty of ammo for any WalMart parking lot. If not, Mmmmmm......another mag?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Gee, and I carry a 6-Shooter as my "Primary" off duty gun most days. Somebody please send me the Memo that 6 rounds is not enough, I must have misplaced it.

Biker

i figure why not have another advantage on my side? if i have the option of 6 or 8, i'll take 8, why not?

i had a taurus pt-145 for a short time that i carried, but i didn't have full confidence in it. i hated the heavy dao trigger. the thing was though, it was the perfect set up for me. .45 acp, held 10 rounds, small 3 1/4" barrel. fit my hands fine and i dont have big hands. wasn't too thick. so basically i'm trying to find something like that but in a SA or SA/DA and a more quality brand.

2AMOMMA mentioned the glocks in .40. while looking at these i noticed the G30. maybe i'll look at one in person. seams to fit the description of the taurus and only a 5.5lb trigger.

adam

Welcome aboard, I'm a Buckeye at heart, even though I don't get to visit there much.

Why not look at 3" 1911's?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes.

I'll look at the m&p and take that into consideration. i see that it holds 8+1.
    i held one of these over the weekend. seamed a little big in comparison to a subcompact.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Welcome aboard, I'm a Buckeye at heart, even though I don't get to visit there much.

Why not look at 3" 1911's?
    besides the occasional collage football game, there's probably not much to see.

3" 1911's are what started this whole mess. trying to find something with more bangs in it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links