A one shot stop - failure!

This is a discussion on A one shot stop - failure! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dogs die hard. I have had the occasion to kill a few feral dogs when I was on active duty in Washinton State. I always ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A one shot stop - failure!

Dogs die hard. I have had the occasion to kill a few feral dogs when I was on active duty in Washinton State. I always went for the head shot, which was pretty easy since they were always up close and getting closer! When I walk my gentle giant Newfoundlands I always carry a 45 to protect them and my wife from the occasional Rottie, or Akita that sometimes roam the neighborhood. I had to warn an IDIOT once that his big dumb Akita had better not get loose while my family was in the area. This guy just loved scaring folks with his big mean dog. He stood in his front yard behind a three foot wall and smirked at me and said in heavily accented english: Yea...what-choo gonna do HESSE? He sounded just like a cartoon character or Cheech Marin. I politely told him that if his dog attacked my leashed dog and my wife and me, I'd have to very regretfully put a 45 caliber slug thru it's tiny brain. Then it was: REX!!! GET INSIDE!!! I never drew, never flashed the weapon....but this bozo had a neighborhood rep. I called the cops when I got home to go on record about his threatening mutt.

The one shot stop is ONLY a reality when the shot is cranio-ocular. Thru and eye or into the 4x6 cranial vault behind the forehead. That will reliably put anybody down. Making the shot is something else. Any old head shot won't do....what if you shatter a BGs jaw? I think that'd just make him mad.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    The one shot stop is ONLY a reality when the shot is cranio-ocular. Thru and eye or into the 4x6 cranial vault behind the forehead. That will reliably put anybody down. Making the shot is something else. Any old head shot won't do....what if you shatter a BGs jaw? I think that'd just make him mad.
    Yah, empty the brain pan, and it becomes Raggedy Andy. Unfortunately we aren't allowed to carry scoped .300 WSM's for CCW........

P95,

Amazing story...glad you posted it.

When working as lineman re-conductoring cable through fenced easements, I came upon a yard that had a "mama" pit bull with several pups (9-10 weeks old) in evidence. Needless to say, she was quite protective of her pups and this required that I request the occupant of the house to put the dog up. The dog was chained to a about a 6 inch wooden post with what I thought was an eyebolt. It was a lag bolt as it turned out, and when I came in the yard the dog went to raising a fuss. The next thing I know it was coming across the yard at me (it jerked the lag bolt right out) and the occupant of the house was either shocked and didn't say anything to call the dog off, or didn't care. It happened so quickly that the only "weapon" I reacted with was my hard hat, an industrial one with the three ridges on top. Due to lucky timing, I smacked the dog right on top of the skull with the center ridge of that hard hat. It cracked the dog's skull and it died at my feet almost instantly, and yet a .45 at close range didn't take the dog in the post out. I'll never cease to be amazed at the odd way things can happen. It took many hours of explanation to my company (and their lawyers), and several hundred dollars to the occupant of that house to keep me out of trouble. You never know what it'll take to stop any kind of assailant or what a simple act of defense will cost you. I was in a probationary period (recently hired) and nearly lost my job over this incident. I suppose the bottom line is "do what you gotta do"...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Lead Moderator
    guess that officer wasn't much of a hunter. Should have waited about 15-30 min. To track the dog. chasing it , just makes it run further. I think animals are a bit diffrent than people as how they react from a gunshot. that said 1 shot stops are not reliable!

As others have already noted, it's good to keep in mind that most animals die a lot harder than most humans. They'll fight to and past their last breath. For the most part we humans are far weaker in comparison.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

VIP Member
    Why the second shot after the dog is running away? That could be the reason he has to face a review board.

Senior Moderator
    Why the second shot after the dog is running away? That could be the reason he has to face a review board.
    I doubt it.
    ANYTIME a weapon is fired in the line of duty it will get reviewed and rereviewed countless times.

I always thought that the process was somewhat lobsided when you have several people sitting in a room discussing what happened and what could have been done differently if....
    and they have hours,days and even months discussing a decision that the shooter may have made in split seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor
    IF the target had been human, yeah, I'd say he'd have a tough time. But as someone already pointed out, ANYTIME you fire your weapon in line of duty type situations, there will be a review board.

I'd say he fired the 2nd shot in the hopes of putting the dog down. In the end, it likely made no difference.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I wouldn't bet on the shottie either.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

"The shot was good, and the best I can tell, the bullet performed as designed. The dog simply did not want to die, and thats what any shooting boils down to, I imagine"

This is a great truth.

Just some observations from two different shootings I investigated. Both are from 25+ years ago.

1- male shot once with .32 cal RG revolver. Witnesses stated that he was shot from a distance of approxiomately 5 feet and that he took one partial step and collapsed. The autopsey revealed that the round had severed his aorta. The medical examiner stated to me that , basically, "he was dead when he hit the floor."

2- male shot from approx. 10 feet away with 12 ga. slug. The slug passed completely through his abdomen. The victim stated to me that he initially went down , but then walked across the room to sit in the same chair in which I found him. There was profuse blood loss, but he still wanted to walk to the ambulance. The ambulance crew, of course, would not allow this, so I don't know if he could have done it or not. He is very much alive to this day, the slug miraculously not seriously damaging anything vital.

You can draw your own conclusions. Mine is that one shot stops are possible, but don't count on it.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Also been many a acases here where 9's and 40's have faild to stop the pits and rots the drug dealer like to have on hand in the house some with head shots some with out
    How about .44 special or .357 magnum?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links