A one shot stop - failure!

This is a discussion on A one shot stop - failure! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess this will fit here. I reproduce a new post from THR which is decidedly interesting - for all I think. I have corrected ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Administrator

I guess this will fit here.

I reproduce a new post from THR which is decidedly interesting - for all I think. I have corrected one or two typo's.

Patrol120 was the poster - it seems only fair to credit this to the originator - who I assume is a cop.
    Tonight I had the unfortunate opportunity to fire my weapon in the line of duty. Thankfully it was a dog, not a person. I reponded to a viscious animal at large call, and with head fully in a$$, I did not grab the shotgun from the car when I got out.

I spot the dog, a very agitated Pit mix. The dog, instead of doing the normal dog thing, and backing off while remaining defensive, comes toward me in a menacing manner. It lunged at me once, and backed off. Light bulb above my head goes off, and I unholster my Sig P220, and ooze ever so slowly towards my patrol car to fetch the scattergun.

The dog doesn't give me chance, and again approaches me in a threatening manner. I shot the dog once in the center of the chest from a distance of about 6 feet, maybe 8. Shot lands good, and the dog does a complete backflip, and takes off running. I fire one more shot, that I THINK landed in the gut region. The dog then proceeds to run about a mile and a half into the woods, where I lose it.

The whole time the dog is running, it's dying. From my hunting days, I can tell a lung shot easily. Frothy blood everywhere, and running on pure fear and adrenaline. Every few feet, the dog falters, and regains its step. By the time I lose visual, the dog is completely red, covered in blood it has aspirated.

230gr .45acp Gold Dots are good rounds. No one has ever denied that. This simply goes to show that a one shot stop is a myth, even in a dog. Anger, fear, and adrenaline are powerful mitigating factors in survival. I am sure the dog died soon after losing it. I am sure the dog would have died had I not chased it, causing more fear. I should have gone for a head shot, but Hindsight is 20/20, and the shot did protect myself, stopping the threat.

Now, I must undergo a shooting advisory board. Have I lost faith in the Gold Dot? Absoultely not. The shot was good, and the best I can tell, the bullet performed as designed. The dog simply did not want to die, and thats what any shooting boils down to, I imagine.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I bet the 12 ga would have stopped it.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Assistant Administrator
    I bet the 12 ga would have stopped it.
    At that range - you betcha!
    Chris - P95

He was down to 5-6 rounds if that was a 1911. Good thing there were not 3 dogs! :) Caliber still that big a deal, or shot placement and rounds on hand?

I need to get a shotgun.
    Support the NRA, GOA, & SAF

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    He was down to 5-6 rounds if that was a 1911. Good thing there were not 3 dogs! :) Caliber still that big a deal, or shot placement and rounds on hand?
    Still would take a 45 over the 9 it would have bounched off the pit

Also been many a acases here where 9's and 40's have faild to stop the pits and rots the drug dealer like to have on hand in the house some with head shots some with out

But yeah its more shot placement but rember 45 never gets smaller and its almost a 1/2 hole ever time

Also its his own falut for not using proper tool for the job ala shotgun he has one i would have nabbed it on way out

VIP Member
    <Taco Bell dog>I think I need a bigger gun</Taco Bell dog>

Yep, just needed a bigger gun is all. A shotty would have probably have worked nicely. Also what if the officer had followed what we typically say for a human. Double tap to the chest and then maybe one to the head. Although I realize our four paw drive friends move faster and differently from people, maybe the multiple quick shots would have stopped the mutt?

A P220 in 45 is the same capacity as a 1911 BTW. In fact my Sig P220 mags work in my 1911.

-Scott-

Thats really the main reason i carry when i'm at home. not so much for 2 legged problems, but i'm much more likely to be approached, in the country, by an unkonwn animal and should it show agression i am prepared for such.
    no shotgun though. kinda tought to tote a 12 ga. though so my 38 snubby (mr relaible) or 1911 (my lil pain) will hafta do.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

OD*
    if that was a 1911.
    I unholster my Sig P220
    Caliber still that big a deal, or shot placement and rounds on hand?
    I shot the dog once in the center of the chest from a distance of about 6 feet, maybe 8.
    Doubt a hi-cap 9 would have made any difference.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    That was an interesting and thought provoking post. I wouldn't have thought a dog would be that hard to bring down. Something to file in the back of what's left of my mind!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I know one shot stops are basically mythology where angry/drug laden humans are concerned. Would never have imagined a dog of any size would be that tough to stop. I carry outside on my place as I am in the country and we do have cougars in the general area, though we haven't seen one in about 6 months. I figgered the old .45 ACP would do the job. Guess I'll have to lean the shot gun up against the wood pile.

Good food for thought. One shot doesn't always do the trick.
    I'm certainly going to remember this. 2 to the COM.... and 1 to the head if at all possible. Hopfully all the power will be shut off by that time.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Good food for thought. One shot doesn't always do the trick.
    I'm certainly going to remember this. 2 to the COM.... and 1 to the head if at all possible. Hopfully all the power will be shut off by that time.
    Hmmmm. If you're taking time to evaluate effectiveness......your opponent has time to react. I have a working slide-lock for a reason....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Hmmmm. If you're taking time to evaluate effectiveness......your opponent has time to react. I have a working slide-lock for a reason....
    I totallt agree with you Rob. No time to think about it, just time to react and deal with the situation at hand. My training as I remember it, was the way I described it above. That way, the "lights go out" and the confrontation ends.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    A valid point was made on this later - by a guy who teaches anatomy and physiology - reminding us usefully of the fact that it is not the loss of heart function, aortic leak, bleed-out etc - that directly stops anything - it is of course lack of O2, which is transported by circulatory system.

The brain can probably manage for the approx 4 minutes and even muscles have some ''depot'' aspects re oxygen and even ATP which can metabolize without O2. Only when O2 is sufficiently depleted will things stop, other than as we all know - a CNS hit where lights go out real quick.

I think too there is the factor with four legged critters, where there will be no ''psycho'' effects to slow them - no thoughts of ''oh crap, I have been shot" - just pure adrenaline reaction to fight or flight.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links