Which one would you buy?

Which one would you buy?

This is a discussion on Which one would you buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am thinking about getting an airweight for the Mrs., she is going to take the class this fall when I have to do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one would you buy?

Which one would you buy?

Ok, I am thinking about getting an airweight for the Mrs., she is going to take the class this fall when I have to do my renewal.

Anyway I am looking at the Taurus 85, or the S&W 642 or 638.

Which one would you buy and why. Other than the name, I know S&W will cost about 125 more and will hold their value better, but that doesn't bother me because I don't sell guns once I buy them.

Are there any advantanges with either of the Smith's vs the Taurus, or visa versa. I think the Taurus will run about 300, and the S&W will be about 430 or so. Is there something else out there in that price range, size, and dependability that will shoot the 38+P?

Thanks for the input.

Edited: One of my friends also a member here, has a S&W not sure which model, that I will borrow to let her shoot.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    I'd buy a Smith, and probably the 642 over the 638... but that part is a toss up.
    Quality is worth the extra money IMO.

The real question here is which one the Mrs. would buy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My wife has the 637(w/hammer), and there are some disadvantages and advantages to having such.
    Of your choices, I would take the 638 so the hammer can still be cocked. OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    I would disagree with Retsup and go with the 642, which I own and carry at times. The internal hammer is, IMO, safer and won't snag on the draw.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

The real question here is which one the Mrs. would buy.
    +1 Have her shoot them and any others she thinks she might like and then decide.

JT
    S&W 642

The way I see it, I have no need to be able to cock a snub-nose revolver. Odds are that if I need to use the weapon, I’m going to need it quick, and I won’t be cocking the hammer. And I want to train the way I will use it if something goes wrong, so again, no need for an exposed hammer. All it does is get in the way.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lead Moderator
    S&W makes a better quality gun IMO. I would pick the DAO , but it does take some practice to get really accurate shooting DA.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

SW airweight...my wife has one

I have a Model 642 but like the idea of the Model 638 and its single action capability better.

OD*
    I would wait a little while and buy the Smith 642 without the internal lock.

Edit: looks like they are availble now;
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/97471608...ShowRegister=1
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I have a 638 and like it, I'd let her shoot an airweight before buying her one though. SA probably would never be necessary in a SD situation, but I like the option.

I'd go with S&W, and I bet you feel like your wife is worth the extra cash.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I would disagree with Retsup and go with the 642, which I own and carry at times. The internal hammer is, IMO, safer and won't snag on the draw.
    Ron, the 638 doesn't have a hammer, just a snub which won't snag.

How's the Kimber?

Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

B52
    My wife has a S&W M-38 a lot like the 638 and really likes it. The cool thing about it, is that you could shoot it while in a pocket if ever needed.

I have a Taurus model 85 ultra-lite and love it. Yes it is not a S&W, but I like it anyhow. Take a look at it and I am sure you'll like what you see.

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    My wife has a S&W M-38 a lot like the 638 and really likes it. The cool thing about it, is that you could shoot it while in a pocket if ever needed.
    Why would you ever need to shoot it while in your pocket? Assuming your a guy, what could you possibly be aiming at?

After doing some looking, it doesn't appear that the Taurus's are in very good supply right now. At least not in stainless or the light weight version. Only thing out there seem to be the blued.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links