Opinions on a new carry weapon.

This is a discussion on Opinions on a new carry weapon. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright guys.....I've caught heck for carrying a Bersa .380 as my primary weapon. Which was especially understandable after i recieved a threat from a group ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a new carry weapon.

Alright guys.....I've caught heck for carrying a Bersa .380 as my primary weapon. Which was especially understandable after i recieved a threat from a group of at least 6-8 guys the other day. My little bersa wouldn't quite be sufficient considering it only holds about 7 rounds and likely would take more than 1 to take someone down. I've been looking at the Springfield XD-m as a replacement. I was going to wait about a month to buy a new gun as I don't want to eat top ramen for the rest of the month, but taking into account the new threat, I believe the expenditure is well worth it. Anyone have experience with that weapon?

Administrator
    If the new threat is a real threat, I would buy a pistol with an established reputation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    LOL at the eating Ramen part. In my opinion, if these threats seem like they are not going away I would definitely get a new pistol. If you don't want your Bersa anymore, use it to get credit for your new pistol. I noticed you want the XD-m which runs about $750, and I also noticed you want to save some money as well; I would got with a regular because they cost less and are great pistols. The XD-45ACP hold 13+1 rounds and a great shooter(costs around $600). You'll save money and have a great pistol with good round capacity and power.

Let us know what you decide on
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Not the XD-M, But my XD45 is a wonderfull weapon. Ive heard good reviews of the (M) and if its anything like the regular XD or better then it gets my vote!!

The XD-M is still new on the market, I'd go with something more established, like the regular XD line.

That being said, a handgun is always a pretty bad fight stopper, long gun rounds work a lot better.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I saw an XDM the other day...was quite nice...but i suggest regular xd like previous posts have mentioned..if you're not deadset on springfield...i would look at Glock, SW M&P, etc...

I am a die hard glock fan, but stay with something that has a reputation already.

I've also shot XD's and S&W MP, those are great choices too.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    The X D is a terrific choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve View Post
    Alright guys.....I've caught heck for carrying a Bersa .380 as my primary weapon. Which was especially understandable after i recieved a threat from a group of at least 6-8 guys the other day. My little bersa wouldn't quite be sufficient considering it only holds about 7 rounds and likely would take more than 1 to take someone down. I've been looking at the Springfield XD-m as a replacement. I was going to wait about a month to buy a new gun as I don't want to eat top ramen for the rest of the month, but taking into account the new threat, I believe the expenditure is well worth it. Anyone have experience with that weapon?
    Regardless of what you get, I'd find a new place to hang out. Why would 6-8 guys threaten you? You did nothing? These guys just decided to get on your case?
    Mmmmmm...

May I also recommend you look at Glocks?

Tell us more...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I talked quite a bit about the situation in another thread. here is the link:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-attack.html

As for finding a new place to hang out....I live in a small town and believe that disappearing like that would just reinforce their belief that attempting to intimidate someone is acceptable. I'm not willing to hide from a bully or bullies. I am however willing to stay aware and prepared and forgo imbibing anthing that will lower my awareness and capability to deal with a confrontation. My family was a respected part of this community 65 years and 4 generations before any of these men blew into town. Maybe it's just pride talking, but I'm not going to kowtow and hide. I will do the best I can to avoid confrontation. As much as the idea bothers me I may even pull the guy they all look to aside to make peace. The problem is that our static stemmed from their mistreatment of a woman I care very much for who does not have the emotional strength to stand up to an abusive man or men due to her past.

GLOCK or xd But my vote is GLOCK
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If the new threat is a real threat, I would buy a pistol with an established reputation.
    Ditto. Glock is probably going to be the "cheapest" Name, new or used.

Alright guys. I made a purchase over lunch. I didn't spend a whole lot of time considering a glock. I owned the longslide .40 and shot both the .45 and .357 sig. I know they are fine weapon, but I didn't like shooting them. I read quite a bit about the M&P, and while it sounds like a fine weapon; most places recommended the XD instead. From what I have read on Springfield Armory's site as well as about 20 reviews is that the XD is a wonderful primary weapon, but is better with some tweaking. The XD-m is essentially the XD with the necessary tweaks already done save for possibly a trigger job. I went into my local gun shop and fully intended to look at them and think about it, then I saw this:

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve View Post
    6-8 guys huh?

If you need to deal with them one at a time, I think I agree with everyone else. Stick with something that's not new, and has a good reputation. I carry an XD and used to carry a 1911.

ETA: man I'm slow today. Congrats on your purchase.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I have shot both the XDM and the XD. I could not tell a smidgen worth of difference between the two, except the M shot more between mag changes. Yeah the M series looks a little more pleasing to the eye, but once you obtain a good sight picture the differences, well disappear. The only real difference at that point is the trigger pull. I will admit the M series is better, but in a "have to" situation, I would not be able to tell the difference. Go with whatever you feel good about, but of money is an issue, I would take a hard look at the XD's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links