Opinions on first carry weapon(G23/M&P)

This is a discussion on Opinions on first carry weapon(G23/M&P) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I am new to the concealed carry world and I want to purchase my first handgun. I have done some research and finally ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on first carry weapon(G23/M&P)

Smile Opinions on first carry weapon(G23/M&P)

Hey everyone,

I am new to the concealed carry world and I want to purchase my first handgun. I have done some research and finally got enough money to buy my first carry handgun and after trying out a few weapons, and going to two different stores n such, I think I have narrowed it down a little anyways.

I think I am leaning toward the .40. 9mm is too small (I think anyways) and my friend's Para .45 has a little more recoil then I think I can be accurate with. I am going to try the .45 again however I am pretty sure I am going to end up with a .40.

With that in mind, I am not sure which gun I actually like/want more and I was wondering what you guys/gals had to say about my choices so far.

1. S+W M&P .40 (full size)
    2. Glock G23 (Compact .40)
    3. Springfield XD40 (Mid size one)

I have tried the Glock (19 and 23) and the Springfield XD (Mid and Full sizes) and tomorrow I am going to finally get to shoot the M&P. I really think I am leaning toward the M&P because it just feels good to me. It doesn't have a manual safety and I do not know much about it's durability/ease of Maintenance but I really think that may be the one. I do plan on carrying it as a primary carry weapon and the only thing that may concern me is its size but what do you guys think?

Thanx Everyone,
    Matt

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

I won't say which one I like because it really doesn't matter.

When you've shot them you'll be much closer to knowing where true love lies!

By the way, there's nothing wrong with 9mm... it's NOT too small!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I went with the Glock 23 over the M&P...just personal preference is all...both great guns

We will all have opinions but considering that you live in FL and wanting a first CC gun I would opt for the M&P compact.
    I have the M&P 9C and it is very concealable with a good holster, comfortable to shoot and an accurate shooter. My son has the 40C and says it is also a sweet shooter. That just might be my next gun.
    I have the G19 which I liked a lot better than it's compact version, G26. It has a little different feel than the M&P or XD but a great shooter and reliable.
    I also have the XD45 compact which is virtually the same size as the G19.
    Now a 45 might be a good decision for a second gun when you have the $. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob87 View Post
    It all comes down to personal preference. Out of the three, the Glock is my favorite. I don't like the M&P, and XDs aren't MA-compliant.
    Hey Rob - Maybe I bought the XD that didn't make it to MA.
    Hey only kidding but why is it not compliant?

The M&P and the Glock are both good guns, I wouldn't own an XD if someone gave it to me.

There is nothing too small about the 9mm and getting a weapon chambered in that caliber will allow you to practice more due to the cheaper ammo.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Welcome Aboard!

Good job on taking you possiable choices for a 'test drive' first. All three of your choices a really good and I believe any one of them will do you justice. I carry a G23 and love it. It's a great platform for me. Whichever firearm you choose, practice with it, gain confidence and knowledge with it, and yourself.

Also recommend getting in a basic defensive pistol class and studying up on Flordia's firearm and carry laws.

Again, welcome to the forum!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmannfol View Post
    I am new to the concealed carry world and I want to purchase my first handgun.
    A good place to start in your situation is The Beginner's Guide to Carry http://media.concealedcarryforum.com/carryguide.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner's Guide to Carry
    The first thing to learn (which will be demonstrated later) is that in regards to concealed carry,
    everything is a compromise. You sacrifice caliber for capacity or overall size, features for cost,
    sight radius for concealability, etc. Get used to this concept now as it will be a factor in every
    decision you make from this point. There is no perfect gun, there is no magic bullet, and despite
    my best efforts (in this message) there is no one size fits all.
    The path you're on is not only one of responsibility, but also one of great adventure. Welcome.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    The path you're on is not only one of responsibility, but also one of great adventure. Welcome.
    That is a great line Howard

I may have to plagiarize that in my safty class next month
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The M&P has been a great EDC for me. I love the way it feels and the way it shoots. I had a Glock once and traded it for a Sigma. But thats me. Spend time shooting what you think you like and keep a open mind. Good luck and enjoy. And don't worry after you buy your first one, you will be back for more!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Welcome to the forum.

In the end, choose the one that feels right to you and points well. All three are very good guns can can't go wrong with any.

I choose the MP40 compact over the others because it felts right and pointed naturally. Easy to shoot, easier to carry then the others and 100% reliable.

The Glock's grip angle is all wrong for me and feels to blocky.
    The XD is nice but I did not care for the back grip safety.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

The 45acp has more of a push while the 40 has more of a snap upward. The 40 is a excellent SD round. Check out the Federal Tactical HST rounds for carry, and for a holster I highly recommend the Bianchi Carry Loc, I have carried a G23 for 12+ years and it is the best holster I have used, and I have used quite a few. All of the guns you posted are quality firearms, I myself prefer the Glock, but you need to choose what works best for you. I also agree you done good but shooting the different guns and calibers first. You may want to check out capacities of the different guns. With my high capacity G23 mags and the Glock +2 floor plates I carry 16 rounds of 40 cal. That is a lot of firepower with no reload. Don't know what the capacities of the others are.
    Welcome to the forum
    Kevin
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    I'd highly suggest you get over the mental block of 9mm is to small (I had the same problem) and purchase a G19 or M&P. The compact 40's are not the best to learn on, ammo is expensive, and if you want to do this right, you are going to be buying a lot of ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd highly suggest you get over the mental block of 9mm is to small (I had the same problem) and purchase a G19 or M&P. The compact 40's are not the best to learn on, ammo is expensive, and if you want to do this right, you are going to be buying a lot of ammo.
    on what he said.

But given the choice of what you listed in your thread, I'd go with the G23, more accessories, better track record, not as "clunky" as the XD.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I think you should try them out first if you can, then make your desicion from there. When purchasing a firearm the only opinion tht should matter is yours, because you are going to be the one practicing and carrying it.

Good Luck!!! and Keep us posted
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links