1911 mag question

This is a discussion on 1911 mag question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK guys, I'm new too the 1911 bug. I have a series I compact Kimber When I first ordered some mags (came with 2 shooting ...

Thread: 1911 mag question

1911 mag question

OK guys, I'm new too the 1911 bug. I have a series I compact Kimber When I first ordered some mags (came with 2 shooting stars) I ordered 3 47ox and one 10 round tactical. I was thinking 10 round backup to the 8 in the gun. The first practice session I slammed the 10 rounder in and my slide wouldn't close. I took it out felt it lock up and fired it fine. Needless to say I sent it back and 47ox is all I carry now. In the officers frame are the 7 rounders all that will work dependably . Should the 10 rounder have worked? I'm sticking to 47ox for now but would like a couple extra rounds. Is my option a fullsize gun or be happy with 7?
    Thanks.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    No the 10 round should not have worked, it is for full size frames only, the "stop" on the 10rd mag is too low to work on the officers size frame and the 10rd mag over inserted into the gun causing your issues. Later tonight I'll try and take some pics to describe the issue better.

Always make sure the mags you buy are for the right gun, Wilson does a pretty good job of giving out the fit codes on their website.

If you want a flush mag, be happy with the 7, original spec was 6. The 47DOX (8rd) should work fine as a reload.

IIRC someone makes a slip on grip adapter for longer mags to fit the officers, but as the Wilson and McCormick 10rd mags are sort of custom mags, I don't think you'll be able to find a grip adapter to accommodate them

Thanks JD, I'm not one to push it, so my 7 rds wilsons will be fine.
    8 in the gun and 7 on my side ( god help me if I ever need them,god send help if I need more then that)
    Thanks
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

My Pro Carry is really finicky about which magazines work and which won't (even identical magazines don't seem to make a difference). The KimPro Tac Mags wouldn't work at all. Luckily when I had to send it to Kimber to have the extractor adjusted and ramp polished they sent it back with a bunch of new magazines that they used to test it and they work great.

I gave the ones that wouldn't work away.

I agree with JD though that Wilson seems to have the best chart to tell you what will and won't fit and they have excellent magazines.

JD
    Administrator
    I'd like to revise my earlier statement, I was kind of in a rush when I posted my earlier post. Bad JD, bad!

Technically, an extended mag such as the 10rd Wilson will work in an Officer size frame, but you have to be careful. Without a properly located floor plate or other method to stop the mag from over traveling, you're relying on the mag catch to stop the mag from over inserting and you can damage the feed lips on the mag. When I was shooting Paras, I would regularly shoot my P10 with a P14 mag as a reload, but I was very careful when I did it.

From the way CD worded his post:

The first practice session I slammed the 10 rounder in and my slide wouldn't close. I took it out felt it lock up and fired it fine
    It sounds like you had the slide open when inserting the mag? If so, you probably over inserted the mag past the mag catch and the mag itself was blocking the slide from closing.

The Wilson 47DOX is basically a Wilson 47D (Gov't 8rd) tube with a modified base pad with a raised lip which prevents the mag from being over inserted, so it's OK to run in a "compact" 1911.

VIP Member
    Slamming in mags too hard can seperate the feed lips.
    I did that and it the short period of time it takes the gun to auto load/chamber on firing, 3 rnds came out of the mag, one chambered normal and the other two unfired rnds would hit me in the chest.

When I first got my Eclipse Ultra, I used Wilson 47D's and ETM's in it as I didn't have the officers mags yet. I was careful not to slam them into the gun and was only using them for range practice and all of them worked fine. I now have several 47oxc's, 7 round with the thin base plate. I am planning on getting some 47dox, 8 round as backups.

Administrator
    Great. I see that JD corrected that.
    What you can do is have somebody Hard Silver Braze a piece of Brass onto your magazine body at the exact correct location.
    That will act as a physical "Stop" and will prevent you from over inserting an extended magazine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I use the tripp cobra mags like this for the extra round, one is an 8 round and fit's flush and this one is a 9 round that has the correct stop.

Links