Bersa Thunder 45 Anybody

Bersa Thunder 45 Anybody

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder 45 Anybody within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I considered a .38 Model 60 as an additional piece. However, I am strongly thinking about the Bersa 45 Compact. Birthday coming up soon and ...

Thread: Bersa Thunder 45 Anybody

Bersa Thunder 45 Anybody

I considered a .38 Model 60 as an additional piece. However, I am strongly thinking about the Bersa 45 Compact. Birthday coming up soon and wife will give me 150.00 bucks figure I could add a few dollars and permanently leave the model 37 home with the wife and carry 45 caliber without having to lug the 1911. Any ideas friends.

Last edited by QKShooter; November 23rd, 2005 at 07:27 PM. Reason: add photo
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - well I have wanted to get my hands on one of these to try out for ages - no luck yet. I do tho rate my (oh - forgot, wife's now!) .380 Thunder quite highly.

I guess my only reservation might be (assuming alloy frame) would be toughness, longevity etc, with the more potent caliber. Otherwise it seems a bit like a PM9 without the high cost!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks 95 for your input. I love the caliber and although many don't consider my S&W model 37 as being underarmed. I would feel more comfortable with a larger caliber. So, the 275 to 300 for a Bersa was very tempting. thanks again.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not really concerned much about the alloy frame...most carry guns have them and they seem to hold up well. I personally think that Bersa's are highly underated. I see lots of them at the range when qualifiying people for CCW permits and most have them have run without a hitch.

For the money, I beleive its one of the best values on the market. Here you have a first shot double action capability with single shot action after that, a feature that is seen on many high dollar guns.

Keep in mind that Bersa recommends a minimum 200 round break in period. I've known of several cases where the gun was "stiff" at first with some FTE and FTF's but after several boxes of ammo the problems took care of themselves. A few shooting sessions with it and all is well.

Size wise, its hard to beat and heck...its a .45. While not as expensive as most other guns, it'll do exactly the same thing..for less.

:fing02:

Assistant Administrator
    Blue, HG - without going to check - what is std mag capacity? And is there an extended mag available?

I manage to find one 10 rounder for my (the wife's! ) .380 - and it performs well - and makes for a good back-up second mag. be good if a bigger one available for the .45.

Know what - I am getting - hmmm - interested
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    7 rounds...

6 in the mag 1 in the pipe...

not a great capacity, but for the size it'll do. I'd rather have 7 .45's than 10 .380's I think....

Assistant Administrator
    Thx HG - that is very acceptable.

Be nice tho as a second mag to have an extended giving 9 or 10 - very nicely expanding the overall ''usefulness''
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    P95...
    The gun is still pretty new. Its probably just a matter of time for someone to make an extended mag if they havent already done so...

I tell ya what fellas, I am currently building a 86 Mustang GT but will hold off to get the pistola. I travel alot of back roads and I feel "ok" with the 38 but no where near as well as I would carry the 45 round. People say if 5 rounds of 38's won't stop'em then its time to run. Well if I transition to 45 then I know I will be running. This is my next gun. Now don't know if I want it blue or black. Local pawn has it in metal like finish most all my guns are black.

How bout a Taurus P145? They're a poly frame, in D/A and feel pretty good in the hand. Might be a bit smaller than the Bersa too. Just a suggestion or an option to have in place.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Don't have the .45 but I really like my Bersa .40 !! I've run probably 2k through it so far without one FTF. I keep it well lubed with Militec-1 and haven't seen any wearing yet. A lot of people maybe poo-poo the Bersa but it IS very well built and as good as quality as some guns double the price !
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Take a look at the main Bersa forum, bersatalk.com, and you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about Bersa's. I personally own four of them, the compact 45, compact 9, a full size 9 and the 380. As someone has already said, they are probably the most under rated and best value for the money gun sold today. I think all the Bersa models are outstanding values for the money and would recommend them to anyone. I've put at least a thousand rounds thru each of my guns without so much as a burp (with one exeption) and they are very user friendly - especially for lefty's - with ambidextrous safety, slide catch and mag release. The compact 45 holds 7 shots and the compact 9mm holds 10rds (a 13rd mag is soon to be available). The full size 9 holds 17rds.

That being said, there were some issues with the 45 you should be aware of. There were problems with weak recoil springs in early production models made prior to '04. Later models seem to be as reliable as the rest of the Bersa line. For owners of earlier model Thunder 45's (like me) the recoil spring problem appears to have been solved with new springs recently sent from the factory to the importer, Eagle Imports. They can be ordered from the importer or a site called yourgunparts.com for $2 each if you want new springs. Aside from the weak recoil spring's on the 45 causing an accasional failure to completely feed a round into the chamber (a tap on the rear of the slide completed the seating), I've never had any problem with FTF, FTE or anything thing else that I'm aware of with any Bersa. They are accurate and very solidly built. I'd trust my life to one... in fact I do just that every time I carry one. I've already posted pix of my UC45 with a few accessories for it and a target from my last practice session. Links are below if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...tachmentid=597
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...tachmentid=794
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rachilders; November 26th, 2005 at 04:35 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Sponsored Links