Newbe here 1/4 IWB thickness

This is a discussion on Newbe here 1/4 IWB thickness within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two different gun, are basically the same but width is difference by 1/4 inch. IS 1/4 a big deal when its carried inside the waist ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbe here 1/4 IWB thickness

Newbe here 1/4 IWB thickness

Two different gun, are basically the same but width is difference by 1/4 inch. IS 1/4 a big deal when its carried inside the waist band?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Not really, I'd say it all depends on the holster, and what's the over all thickness of the guns?

If the two guns are 1" and 1.25", no there's not that big of a deal, most of a guns thickness comes from the grips, and for IWB, that's the only part sticks out of the pants.

Pending on which guns were talking about this may not be the case, but without knowing which exact two guns were talking about I'm going to have to say no there's not much of a difference.

Eh, it's not really a big deal, especially if you are just comparing the thickness of two guns.

Put those guns in holsters and try those measurements. A reinforced lip on a holster may add 1/4" in width.

I'd worry about other differences between the two guns instead of debating on the 1/4". Are the stats comparable? Have you shot both of them?

pps .40 vs M&P compact .40

pps .40 is .91 wide and M&P compact .40 is 1.2. That is a .29 difference. I get a discount on both but only the M&P is in stock and walther might be in December. I could buy either locally and not worry about the discount since I am moving next week. Ummm decisions!

Found a PM 40 to look at Monday before I leave the state. MO, where I am moving to you have to wait 6 months before you can purchase a handgun.

I would suggest you make sure the holster has a forward cant on it of about 15 degrees. That tilts the butt of the gun upward and helps conceal it. If there is zero cant, the butt of the gun will stick out more and is harder to conceal, no matter what the thickness of the gun.

TOF
    I carry a GP100 Revolver in a Galco Summer Comfort. Its much thicker that what you are talking about and it is so comfortable at 4:00 I forget it's there. Only those I let know realise it is present.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I can also get a glock 27 locally with a discount. Would rather have the M&P compact over the glock
    Because of my move, my options are buy the glock 27 for $425 locally or wait three months when i get back to Texas for the M&P compact $476 with night sights or buy the Kahr pm40 $645 locally before I leave Texas.
    So little time and not enought money to buy them all. I will probably order the M&P since I dont have a ccw license because Texas does not like my finger prints! If i really thought the walther would make a difference being thinner I would just buy it locally with no discount.

I carry IWB with a Glock all the time and have no problems. The M&P shouldn't present you with any major issues.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

As I understand it, there really is no big deal IWB with a thinner gun.
    Thanks for you input. Save me some sleepless nights

I have not shot any of these guns.
    Just to provoke some thought not anger ha! If you carry a block (glock) :) and in the same brand carry a walther pps .91 wide, would not the walther be the choice since it will not print as much as the block (glock :)? The grip is also thinner.

VIP Member
    Glocks have an established reputation for being bombproof. The knowledge that your weapon will go bang every time is worth the few millimeters of extra thickness to most people.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 26th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

1/4 inch is more than a few millimeters but, I hear what your saying about glocks.
    I have a military police buddy who swears by them and he would not have anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Glocks have an established reputation for being bombproof. The knowledge that your weapon will go bang every time is worth the few millimeters of extra thickness to most people.
    yup.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Walther PPS

Quote Originally Posted by majorpps View Post
    pps .40 is .91 wide and M&P compact .40 is 1.2. That is a .29 difference. I get a discount on both but only the M&P is in stock and walther might be in December. I could buy either locally and not worry about the discount since I am moving next week. Ummm decisions!

Found a PM 40 to look at Monday before I leave the state. MO, where I am moving to you have to wait 6 months before you can purchase a handgun.
    Get the PPS. My M&P was a colossal disappointment. Thankfully i have an XD 40 SC and an LCP to fall back on. I will be trading my M&P .40c in this week for store credit towards a Walther PPS.

What was disappointing about the M&P?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links