Carb cleaner + polymer frame

This is a discussion on Carb cleaner + polymer frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i'll admit i sprayed out my ruger sr9 frame with a can of carb cleaner, i was cleaning the 10/22's and ruger 45/22 at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb cleaner + polymer frame

So i'll admit i sprayed out my ruger sr9 frame with a can of carb cleaner, i was cleaning the 10/22's and ruger 45/22 at the time also the frame seems to be fine i double checked the owners manual no specific mention of what not to use but the frame is duller more of a matte finish actually like the matte look better but there were white flecks on the grip and mag well area they wiped off with a clean towel but i am curious as to any ill effects of carb cleaner or other no no chemicals
    I ran a search on the forum and found that mek and methanlyne chloride are bad but any other don'ts?

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    So i'll admit i sprayed out my ruger sr9 frame with a can of carb cleaner, i was cleaning the 10/22's and ruger 45/22 at the time also the frame seems to be fine i double checked the owners manual no specific mention of what not to use but the frame is duller more of a matte finish actually like the matte look better but there were white flecks on the grip and mag well area they wiped off with a clean towel but i am curious as to any ill effects of carb cleaner or other no no chemicals
    I ran a search on the forum and found that mek and methanlyne chloride are bad but any other don'ts?
    I don't know how it would effect the Ruger, my only experience was in the Army we used to clean out our M4 carbines with carb cleaner all the time, the M4/M16 is such a pain to clean, especially to get it to "military standard clean", instead of messing with tons of Q tips and small pieces of rags to get in the hard to clean areas, the carb cleaner zapped it right off! Hell we even used to use the parts cleaner in the motor pool with that cleaning solvent, and did not remember seeing it dull the finish. But who knows thats a Colt made carbine, maybe yours has differant polymers or plastic exterior parts.
    Last edited by Scott; August 14th, 2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: profanity
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I think you guys are confusing carb clean with brake cleaner?? Carb cleaner is extremely caustic and damages plastic and rubber.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is safe to use on polymer frames but keep it off your aftermarket fiber optic sights.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Dull has to be in context

Its still the same cooler of black shade and all just minus the sheen like the difference between semi gloss and flat paint. i figure i stipped all the oil and extra loube off the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I think you guys are confusing carb clean with brake cleaner?? Carb cleaner is extremely caustic and damages plastic and rubber.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is safe to use on polymer frames but keep it off your aftermarket fiber optic sights.
    Not confusing it, maybe it is bad on some firearms exteriors, I just know we used to use it all the time on M16/M4's. Mainly for the interior parts though.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Definantly carb cleaner

I am a service tech for a living it was gum out carb and choke the only stuff i buy by the case.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Well, I dont have a problem using carb cleaner on all metal parts but it never goes anywhere near my polymer frames, rubber o-rings or night sights.

I dont like the residue carb cleaner leaves behind either, and, it makes me feel sick. I too am a certified auto tech (no longer in the field though) and I hated carb cleaner almost as bad as used hypoid gear oil.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I am an auto tech and think i would have known better; but non-clo brake cleaner MELTED the grips on my Bernardelli
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    There are many gun cleaning chemicals on the market. Carb and choke cleaner has it's specific uses. All I have to ask is why? What made you do it? Read the labels on chemicals you think about using in non-specific applications. Ever used carb and choke cleaner to remove a stain on your carpet? Of course not!

I use brake cleaner on all my firearms and no problems with any negative effects on polymer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As to why

I fell victim to the to much out at once, i use carb cleaner all the time on the metal guns i have which is all of them except for the ruger sr9. and i just picked it up, saw dirt and sprayed it. The blast just hit the frame when i went crap and realized my mistake. anyways i took it out today and 400 rounds of good operation i don't think there are any ill affects. Any recomendations as to what to use to clean the carbon and gunk out of your trigger groups and such?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    No chlorine brake cleaner should be a watchword here . If not use kerosene or desil oil and scrub the hell out of things if you wont trouble yourself to make edds red ect.. The only aerosol i use on cleaning my guns is the same i use on computers , a can of " canned air " . On firearms i will turn it up side down so i get a " wet " spray if needed to clear blow crap off and still have a self clearing residue .

point is that if it is used you CAN shoot it . if the dealer tells you its a " consignment gun " then tell him call the fella . No shoot is no buy if your doing used
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I copy the following from a post I made last year concerning using brake cleaner instead of Gun Scrubber:
    A word of caution about brake cleaner. It will dissolve most plastic. Loctite must be some form of plastic and is used on lots of gun screws, both by us and the manufacturers. I've personally seen a Marlin cowboy rifle cease to function during a CAS match because the owner had used brake cleaner on the gun which dissolved the Loctite on the screws causing several of them to back out or fall out completely.
    This was no friend of a friend's brother's sister's story. I watched it happen. Took us a while to figure out why it was happening as the rifle had performed flawlessly for a couple of years and then all at once, started falling apart.

I believe if you will compare the MSDS sheets for carb cleaner and brake cleaner, you'll find they contain quite different ingredients than an actual gun product like Gun Scrubber. OMO, but I'd rather spend the 8 bucks for a can of Gun Scrubber than have my gun fall apart when needed most.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If you want to use an automotive product, then use a spray designed for a mass air flow sensor. It will not damage plastic and cleans as well as a regular carb cleaner.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Why use an automotive product on a firearm. There are plenty of firearm specific cleaners which work well, are inexpensive and I would imagine less likely to mess up your health.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links