Para Nite Hawg?

This is a discussion on Para Nite Hawg? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been hearing good reports on the Para Nite Hawg .45, and others of the Hawg series, for both accuracy and reliability. However, the ...

Thread: Para Nite Hawg?

Para Nite Hawg?

I have been hearing good reports on the Para Nite Hawg .45, and others of the Hawg series, for both accuracy and reliability.

However, the group are all owners and a bit on the "all of my things are the best" side no matter if it is the worst thing you have ever seen.

That said, I am interested in the esteemed opinion of the group here as I value the opinions aired here as more reliable.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

I have one that was my first CCH firearm when Kansas passed their CCH law in 2006. I didn't end up carrying it much and have not shot it a lot (500-600 rounds) but it has never had a failure after I replaced the mag springs with Wolff springs. Only two things against the Nite-Hawg (or Para in general). They make lousy magazines (bad springs) and their black finish just plain sucks. Within three times in and out of the Galco holster I bought while waiting on my Brigade GunLeather holster, the finish was worn off the slide at the muzzle end, the slide release and the safety. It is, however, an excellent shooter and very accurate. Though small, it handles well due to the thickness of the double stack grip which spreads recoil out over a larger section of your hand. Muzzle rise is a little more dramatic than my full size Kimber, but felt recoil doesn't seem to be any different. If I were buying again, I'd probably opt for the Stainless WartHog and have night sights installed just to avoid the lousy black finish. If you buy, the springs you want are the ones for the Para Ordinance P-12. They'll reduce capacity by one round, but they'll feed every time. Even with the Wolff springs, the 9+1 capacity of 45 ACP makes for a formidable carry pistol.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

JD
    Administrator
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I had a NiteHawg when they frst came out, great shooter but the double stack mag kind of...impeded it's usefullness as a concealed weapon, that and IMHO it was unbalanced while carrying due to the heavier butt of the gun, however the wider grip made it a little more easy to shoot than the standard 3" 1911, If you allready have a Kimber ultra, I would suggest getting a larger Para, I've had a total of...4, a p16-40, a 14-45, the NiteHawg, and my CCW. All have been stellar performers and the customer service from Para is great.

If you have a p14 you can use that mag in a NiteHawg

I liked having a 10rd mag in the gun and a 14rd reload, alas the grip was a little to fat for my liking, I have had 4 Para's and loved them all, but I like my Kimbers<--No longer a true statment better, then again, I've had to replace parts and /or mags in both Kimber CDPs that I have, I can't say the same about my Para's, I've found many horror stories over what we pay for a Kimber and right out of the box it has to go back to the factory,
    None of my Para's ever had so much as a failure to feed, no matter what I put throught it.

Also Para offers lifetime warranty....not bad.

I've found all of Para's products to be relaibale, but make sure you get one in stainless as thier Parakote finish didn't really hold up too well.[/QUOTE]

The trigger pull is soooo much better than a 642, it's very smooth and not heavy at all.

Compared to which Kahr? It's an alloy framed 3" 1911, so it will be heavier than say a Kahr P9, or PM9.

It all depends on what features you like, you're going to have a grip safety on the Para, not on a Kahr. Both have good customer support from what I hear.

I don't care for the finish on Paras unless it's a stanless model.

Try and find any Para LDA at a shop and ask to dry fire it.
    I think you'll be very happy with the LDA, however, unless Para has changed their process in the last year, you may not want the matte balck finish on your gun, try and get stainless if you can, if you can't get stainless get the finish redone, both the Paras I had in the matte black looked worse after 3 months of carry than any other gun I've ever had.
    My general ansewer on Para's is that they are good guns, but the baked on finish Parakote has issues, I don't know if this has gotten better over the last year of two since I sold my last Para, but I wouldn't hessitate on buying a stainless steel Para of any type
    I had one for a little while, as I always state, if your going to go Para, go stainless, the Parakote doesn't hold up well.

I liked the Hawg, but it was incredibly unbalanced with the setup I had at the time, if I had a different holster, I may have kept it.

All I can say, is that you'll need a holster with a lot of space between loops if you go IWB, as the gun is top heavy when holstered. The butt of the gun is kinda wide, but if you're used to a double stack gun, it shouldn't be a problem.

Mine was super reliable, and the fatter grip did make the gun more controllable IMHO it was one of the better shooting and handling 3" 1911s I've ever shot.

One thing I did like about it, is that I could carry a 14rd P14 mag and use that as a reload, that was a very nice option.

Originally I had it has a partner to my P14-45 LDA, due to being able to use the P14 mags in the Hawg. I found my P14 to cumbersome for carry, sold it off, and the NiteHawg soon followed.

I miss them both.
    Between the two, I'd take the Para, it doesn't have the firing pin safety, and you don't need the silly little tool to take it apart, the Hawg is heavier (while loaded) than the UC making it easier to control while firing.

But either one is a fine choice, I'm not overly thrilled with Kimber lately, but having had the Paras I've had, I can say that selling them to buy Kimbers that I no longer have was a mistake.

I think Kimber has them beat as far as fit and finsish are concerned, but while all the Paras were 100%, I have a 50% success rate with Kimbers, now keep in mind the ones I had problems with were not .45 caliber so your mileage may very.

My wife carried a Kimber Ultra Carry up until we got her a Wilson, and it had been a 100% shooter, but we had some mechanical troubles after some "drop tests" were done accidentally....don't ask.

Looking at the two, it's really all about capacity and how many .45s your comfortable with having on tap.
    I've had a number of 1911s from many different manufacturers, a gaggle of Paras, a pair of Colts, one lonely Springfield, a quadruplet of Kimbers etc. etc.

I miss my Paras more than my Kimbers, however I do not miss the Hawg more than my other Paras.

The HAWG fills a nice spot, but I found it to be "unbalanced", in retrospect, a different holster could have fixed the problem, but one of the leading graces for carrying any 1911 is the slim grip as that is (as noted above) the hardest part to conceal, and the width of the Warthawg does somewhat compromise the slim grip

My NiteHawg shot like a dream, I had no complaints on that aspect. If you do want to change out grips (another thing I like about the 1911 in general, lots of grip options) you'll have a problem finding after market grips for the double stack Paras.

My biggest gripe on most Paras is that the Parakote finish doesn't hold up well, so if you do go Para, I would go stainless.

Now regarding the SlimHawg, that is my other gripe on the new Paras is the "griptor grooves" on the front strap, I find them to be bothersome, more like finger grooves, I do not like finger grooves as I like my fingers to go where I want them, not where the makers of the gun want them to go, also due to the small size of a 3" 1911 and those grooves, I do not think that the SlimHawg would be fun to shoot on extended range sessions, however I have never tried a Para with such grooves so that's just my personal opinion.

Also, let's talk magazines, spare 10rd Warthawg mags are pricey, the lowest priced quality mag I've found runs $49.00 PER MAG.

Of the two choices, I would go with the Stainless Double stack Hawg.

BUT before I'd go and tell you to run off and buy one and trade in or sell your Kimber, I'd like to know exactly which 5" Kimber you have.

If you're happy with your Kimber, I'd say go with a Kimber Ultra or other single stack 3" 1911, simply because after market mags are more plentiful and cheaper.
    I've had 5? Paras, two of which were LDAs, I like it, but I preferred the normal C&L better. I will say that of all the out of the box DAOs I've ever shot, the LDA is probably the most smooth.

Never had a problem with the Paras, my only advice with Para is to go with a stainless finish, and buy the single stacks unless you specifically want the double stack as the double stack mags run about $50.00 and the Parakote finish on both the Parakoted guns I had didn't hold up for squat.
    Regarding accuracy and reliability, all my Paras were shooters, all ran very well, I don't think I ever had one failure of any sort with them, accuracy wise, I had no complaints, if I did my part, the gun did it's part.

JD and Hoss,

After reading your posts I recieved on this thread I am convinced that any new CC I buy will be stainless. At one time I did not think so.

However, you keep pulling me back to one word, Kimber.

Am saving my change (seriously) to up grade from a Kel-Tec P-11, and want to do the best I can. That may be a thread of its own.

Thanks

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    JD and Hoss,

After reading your posts I recieved on this thread I am convinced that any new CC I buy will be stainless. At one time I did not think so.

However, you keep pulling me back to one word, Kimber.

Am saving my change (seriously) to up grade from a Kel-Tec P-11, and want to do the best I can. That may be a thread of its own.

Thanks
    I don't know if you caught the edit in my posts, but I no longer have the same opinion on Para vs Kimber, I regret selling of my Paras for the Kimbers I had.

There's nothing wrong with the Paras other than the finish IMHO. I got caught up in 1911 snobbery which is why I went to Kimber, everyone makes them out to be the best there is, and IMHO they are not. I should have kept my Paras and taken the money lost on selling them buying Kimbers and just upgraded my Paras.

The Night Hawg has changed this year. The barrel is no longer blacked out. It looks more like the original Warthog now.

Thanks for the update. I have not made the leap yet, and am still interested in anything I can find out.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

VIP Member
    When I was looking at compact 1911's I looked at the HAWG. I didn't care for the feel of it in my hand. Too bulky for my taste. Ended up buying the SIG 1911 RCS. They did a great job dehorning it. Very accurate and so far reliable, and a few dollars less than the Kimber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links