Charter Arms Undercover vs S&W 642

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Undercover vs S&W 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at one or the other b/c at times my sigma would be a burden. I am only 20, but will be 21 in ...

Thread: Charter Arms Undercover vs S&W 642

I'm looking at one or the other b/c at times my sigma would be a burden. I am only 20, but will be 21 in 3 months and can get my CC. I can carry my Sigma in most of the places i'm going to be, but still like the idea of a smaller pistol. My sigma has never ftf or jammed. Still yet, I kind of just want a new pistol, but don't really know if a CA Undercover will surfice or if I should definatly get a S&W 642. I'm just curious to thoughts and opinions. Obviously the S&W is higher quality, but its twice the price for something that will rarely be used. Also I'm not terribly worried about it jamming b/c of the fact that its a revolver lol, just squeeze the trigger again. As far as +P rounds go, I know the CA isn't rated for +P, but a handful of rounds for packing concealed isn't going to break it either. I don't know if the S&W is rated for +P rounds.

Administrator
    Well, you might not use it much, but when you need it, you really need it. Despite popular belief, revolvers do have malfunctions and are just as effected by poor quality materials and craftsmanship as the auto loaders are.

So, ask yourself this question- How much is your life worth?

Buy the best you can afford, and if you buy cheap, you will buy twice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    You picked a good time to look at the 642, S&W has made a run of them without the internal lock. Look for those, if they are not in your favorite store, ask if they are getting any in. The value of that revolver will only go up if you take care of it.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have a number of snubbies and both of the ones you are thinking of. For the amount of shooting you'll do I recommend a Charter Arms with the bobbed hammer. It is actually stronger then you think and don't get the idea you can't use good loads, just don't shoot +P as a habit. Use the Winchester FBI Load, (158 grain Lead Hollow point) as your carry load and you'll be good to go. Take the differnce in price and buy standard load bullets to practice with.

I have never had a failure with my Charter Arms.

Semper Fi

Ron
    I have carried a 642 for a number of years with no problem. I use +P Speer Gold Dots. Carries nicely in a pocket holster.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Just to clarify your info. Charter Arms are rated for limited +P use just not constant use so don't worry about testing a few cylinders worth and keeping it loaded with +P for SD.

My wife's got an Undercover and it's great for the times you need to simply grab and go. We've never had any failures with it.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Ok thanks for the replies. I'm also considering a Taurus 85 Ultra Light.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Personally I'd go with the Smith. I have a 638 thats sees occasional carry use. The Taurus guns are just ok. Charter arms I don't have much experience with. But S&W are pretty much the benchmark in this sector, so a hundred extra bucks or so is worth it to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    +1 on the 642. I bought one for my dad and he made me shoot it first. It's crazy nice and I want to buy one for myself.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

For a range gun and I would say saving a few bucks is okay, but I look at guns the way I look at tools, Buy the best you can the first time, nothing worse than working on something and have a tool break!!! If it is good enough to trust your life to, it is worth the best. This is my opinion YMMV. BTW. All my wheelers are Smith's

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

My wife carries a Taurus M605 and loves it. It has never given us any trouble. I purchased her a S&W 637 a few months ago as an additional option. We immediately had to return it to Smith because it would misfire on one round out of each cyclinder. S&W fixed it under warranty, and I have to say that S&W warranty/customer service is the best I have ever experienced anywhere. However after getting it back she shot it some more and did not like it. We sold it and she will now be using a Kahr CW9 instead.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I have the Undercover, and have shot someone else's Smith. At first I didn't like it, because there were lots of misfires, and unlike the semiautos I'm used to, you can't just fix the problem and go on to the next round... have to wait to see if the bullet goes bang or not.

However, when I started buying my own ammo for it and caring for it myself, I found that either it was an ammo problem or a breaking-in problem or possibly a cleanliness problem, because I haven't had a misfire in the last couple years (probably 300 more rounds through that gun- not my main shooting gun).

I like it because it is very lightweight, lighter than the Smith maybe, or at least the same weight. Yet, it is a workhorse- I carry it when I'm going to be in the roughest physical conditions, such as hiking and horseback riding, where a large jostle or dirt/mud/etc and getting banged around are likely. And, though it hurts to admit it, it is quite concealable- probably as concealable as my beloved PM9.

I don't know enough about wheel guns to know why I had so many problems with it in the beginning, but I can honestly say that I have none now.

I've worked both Chareter Arms and S&W thoroughly. Smith is a much better overall piece. CA is acceptable for modest use, but uses too many shimmed parts and polymer washers for something to practice with and use.

Links