New to me G17

This is a discussion on New to me G17 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I guess I'm now part of the combat tupperware group. G17 with fiber sights, a few magazines the tried and true Glock name... Now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me G17

New to me G17

Well I guess I'm now part of the combat tupperware group.

G17 with fiber sights, a few magazines the tried and true Glock name...

Now the question is, will it be able to tackle carry duty or so i still have a reason to buy a G19 or G27 I think I can justify in my head that the fiber sights make it a no go and I should get a 19 with nights installed.

Whatdya all think?
    Attached Images
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice looking gun, I really like the fiber optic sights. Did you buy the G17 w/ those already installed or was that something done afterwards. I've been considering a G17.
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

I love my G17. I have a gen 2 with adjustable sights, a hogue grip sleave, and a slug plug on in. Shoots very well. I am not sure exactly how old it is but I am guessing 15+ years. I bought it used a couple years back. Still going strong and I've put a few thousand rounds through it.
    Enjoy!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

The G17 was the first handgun I ever shot. I would have one today if my preferences were different.

I have a G17 I believe is a second edition,I know it was sold with 10 round mags so it came out during hi cap ban,In the right holster it will conceal and carry just fine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Awsome, congrats. I am wanting to get a 17 to go along with the 19 I just bought. I think they are great guns. I love my 19. And I think you just justified the 19 for yourself in your question. I think the 17 is too large for carry personally. I know some do carry 17's on a regular basis, but it's not for me. I just want one for the range and maybe night stand duty. Besides, you can't ever have too many Glocks!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Welcome to the world of "DRASTIC PLASTIC"!!!

If you just want a 19, then go ahead and get one. If you think you need one to carry concealed, that might not be the case. I carry a Glock 22 about 90% of the time these days, and no one is any the wiser. It all comes down to your physical build and your clothing.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Congrats on the G17. I thought the G19 was going to be my only Glock but I got suckered into buying two more. I tried to fight the gun addiction time and time again, but it didn't quite work.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Subnine, you're missing the Glock 34!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Sponsor
    Congrats on the g17.

I've got 3 of em; two first gen and one third gen along with two 19's and a 26.

I carry one of the first gen g17 more than any other gun, probably 80% of the time, the other 20% sees a g19 or the Sig 220 on the belt. With the right holster, the 17 should be no problem, but it's going to be situationally dependent on body shape/size and what you are willing to use for a holster for them.

Good luck with that new 17, it will serve you very well

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

You need a G19 to go with it no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Riggs View Post
    Very nice looking gun, I really like the fiber optic sights. Did you buy the G17 w/ those already installed or was that something done afterwards. I've been considering a G17.
    They were already installed, I like them but if I want to carry I don't know if I should get some night sights as you just never know when your going to be out past dark.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm thinking maybe pick up a MTAC with the slide style kydex so if I do pick up the 19 I'll have a holster already. Heard tons of good stuff bout the MTAC so I don't think I can go wrong.

For those of you that said you carry the 17, what holsters are you all using?
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EMP View Post
    Heard tons of good stuff bout the MTAC so I don't think I can go wrong.
    I am carrying my 19 in an MTAC and so far so good. That seems to be one of the most popular combinations around here. A Glock 19 in an MTAC.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The G17 is a great workhorse!
    But I do get out more with the G19, and it carrys better.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

I miss my G17. I had to sell her about 5 years ago along with my 26. But I still have my 19
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links