How many EDC A snubby?

This is a discussion on How many EDC A snubby? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you consider a 3" GP100 a "snubbie" then yes I do. Most people don't consider a 3" GP100 to be a "snubbie" so really, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many EDC A snubby?

If you consider a 3" GP100 a "snubbie" then yes I do.

Most people don't consider a 3" GP100 to be a "snubbie" so really, no, I don't. do carry an SP101 and a 442 as a pair of BUGs, even in 110 degree weather.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Depends on the part of town I am working around, usually my BUG. Sometimes dress dictates that the snubbie works better.

Like to have options.

Today it's a 605 Taurus and a SP101 Ruger, 2 Speed Loaders and 2 Speed Strips. All loaded with 125G. 357 JHP.

For many years my primary off-duty carry was a S&W 640 loaded with NYPD dept issue .38 nyclad semi wad cutters. Then they went to the hollow point nyclads. I think that they were 158 gr. When I left the NYPD I continued to carry the 640 off duty but with Speer GDs. However, shortly after 9/11 I started carrying my Glocks off-duty. Since then there have been very few occasions where I was armed only with the 640.

My 640 is a on-duty BUG now and my primary off-duty is my G27.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Pretty much, yup. I've tried many autos, and they just don't fit me as well as revolvers. I'm not real worried that 5 or 6 .357 or .44 plus a reload (and sometimes BUG) won't take care of me, but YMMV.

Here in Hot box Florida, my latest EDC is A S&W 638 in a Mika
    pocket Holster.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Pretty much, yup. I've tried many autos, and they just don't fit me as well as revolvers. I'm not real worried that 5 or 6 .357 or .44 plus a reload (and sometimes BUG) won't take care of me, but YMMV.
    The Trooper Coates video ended my belief that 5 or 6 .357 rounds would stop the threat.Not sure of .44 rounds though. That video is why I will carry a snubnose as a BUG but not as a primary. Coates hit his assailant with 5 .357 rounds COM and assailant survived, Coates got hit with 2 .22 rounds(IIRC) one in his vest, one in his armpit that pierced his heart through his armpit. Thats why I want more than 5 or 6 rounds regardless of how many BG'S I have to confront. OMO. YMMV
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Shot placement trumps caliber everytime.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Shot placement trumps caliber everytime.
    I agree, but 5 shots of .357 COM being inadequate? For a BG without a vest? Who would think that the BG they confront and fire those rounds COM would still be able to fire a round? After five .357 rounds COM,I would think the BG would be down and out. IMHO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

But what is center mass? Many will describe it differently.

A little tactical anatomy knowledge could redefine the end-users definition of center mass. I go for the "cardiovascular triangle" tracing Adam's apple to nipples, preferably along the centerline.

Back on topic to snubs and guns. Carry what you're comfortable with. Snubs may not work for some and for others they are the ideal carry.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Lately I've been carrying a J or K frame snubbie in the hot weather. Both have been carried AIWB for the last year or so. I can hit pretty well using point shooting for 0-5 yards and feel comfortable with that.

Snubbie

Also AIWB here and the shape of a snubbie lends itself to this position and the grip also presents well out of the pocket. I started with a snubbie, strayed for a while, but have ended up EDC with my snub.

H-

My EDC is a Ruger SP - 101 in a Comp-Tac 2 O'Clock holster.

GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Depends on dress. Typically in summer I carry my 642 w/ CT grips. I will sometimes carry my Pro CDP .45 IWB under a light hawaiian style shirt. Very seldom do I carry my J frame in the winter.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

S&W 642(pocket carry) in warm months and a S&W 640 (IWB) in cooler months. I haved seamstress lengthen and reinforce right front pockets for pocket carry. (I am a little guy and need all of my trousers shortened to 28 1/2 ' inseam anyways, so she does it at same time.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links