Crimson Trace Laser For SA XD9 Sub Compact?

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace Laser For SA XD9 Sub Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys and gals I have a couple of questions: 1. Does anyone here have the Crimson Trace Laser grip on their XD? 2. Did it ...

Thread: Crimson Trace Laser For SA XD9 Sub Compact?

Guys and gals I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone here have the Crimson Trace Laser grip on their XD?

2. Did it make the grip awkward since it is a "slip-on" over the existing grip rather than a grip replacement?

3. In hindsight, were they really worth the money? (Or is that just what you tell your significant other to justify the cost)

4. In general, are laser sights worth the money for a self defense carry gun? I ask because of the relatively short distances involved when the situation goes condition RED.

I would be putting these on a Springfield Arms 9mm Sub Compact.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

In answer to your query:

1. Yes. Just put a set on my XD9sc last month

2. No. I actually like the feel of the "slip-on" combo. It's a tight fit and the combined grip feels better (to me)

3. Umm.....yes. The wifey wasn't to impressed at first. But she knows how much I research the crap out of anything I buy, so eventually she let it drop.

4. Lots of pros/cons when it come to lasers. I searched endless forums for info and google'd alot. But when it came down to making the decision, yes they are expensive.....but my firm belief is that anything that gives me an advantage over a potential BG threat...is going to be bad for the BG. I practiced extensively to become an excellent shot before the grips, and that hasn't changed. I don't "exclusively" use them when on the range. They're a tool. The XD9sc is my everyday carry, and I have no plans to take the CT grip off.

XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I just want to add that if you are left handed and use a proper high stacked thumb two hand grip, don't bother with these - you'll just light up your left thumbnail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I just want to add that if you are left handed and use a proper high stacked thumb two hand grip, don't bother with these - you'll just light up your left thumbnail.
    +1

Thankfully I'm right-handed....but left eye dominant......sighting in the laser I found is a bit tricky because of that, but maybe it's just me....
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Also if a lefty its hard to find a holster that will fit the gun/laser. The diode sticks out and gets in the way of the holster. Leather isn't to bad, it will eventually stretch and form around it. One of my Kydex holsters had to be reformed. Use a large Phillips screwdriver (or one that is the same diameter as the diode) to form the new channel, gently heat the area were you want the new channel and press the screwdriver into it. The lasergrip also wraps around the beavertail, you may have a hard time finding a holster with any kind of retention device that will fit (thumbsnaps on leather holsters don't unless you want to cut leather).

Also, they are completely useless in bright daylight. I would recommend you get a good set of night sights instead. I have the same gun and a CT on it, I keep it in the nightstand for things that go bump in the night, but I don't use it for EDC. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by spooter66; July 30th, 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: grammer

Almost forgot, welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks for the input so far everyone. My XD is my EDC in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. I don't think I will be having to modify much in regards to the holster if I get the grip but I'm still waiting to see what other's might say good or bad before I make a final decision.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Sponsored Links