Traded in my S&W M&P .40c

This is a discussion on Traded in my S&W M&P .40c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After getting a S&W M&P .40c that failed to inspire confidence in me from day-1 I have taken the plunge and traded it in to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traded in my S&W M&P .40c

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

After getting a S&W M&P .40c that failed to inspire confidence in me from day-1 I have taken the plunge and traded it in to my retailer for a Walther PPS 9MM. I think the trade was pretty fair, I paid $549 and got 2 free magazines and a $50 rebate check and my retailer gave me a $370 trade allowance on the Walther PPS. I chose the 9MM because it of the economics of range shooting. I like the .40 but a good defensive 9MM Winchester SXT or Hornady TAP will get the job done when I'm CC.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your M&P. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate more insight into your disappointment.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Yes, I'd like to hear too, I've heard so much good from those M-P's.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Most I hear about M&P's is good too but mine was a stinker. I had severe FTF problems. Upon insertion of a full clip and racking the slide the M&P would almost always FTF and cock the shell in the breech. This would also happen when I would lock the slide back and insert a clip and release the slide with my thumb. What was most disturbing of all was when this would happened when the M&P was cycling under the power of its own recoil. I am sure S&W would have made it right. In fact I was even issued a UPS Overnight Air label by S&W but alas the lure of the sexy Walther PPS was too much to overcome. Accdepting a new gun into your life is a lot like when you were a teenager meeting your girlfriends parents for the first time; You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Let's hope the Walther is the marrying kind....

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I wish you had taken advantage of S&W's superior customer service, especially for the next owner. Perhaps you could have gotten a better price from your dealer since S&W frequently includes freebies and you could have shown a recent S&W tune-up.

I'm in danger of sounding like a shill, but I'm just a really satisfied S&W customer and appreciate good customer service when I experience it. I used to manage a software support group.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have the fullsize M&P AND the PPS! I'm covered.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Sorry you were not happy with your M&P.
    I bought a slightly used M&P 9C and loved the way it performed right up to when the mags started dropping and the slide started to lockup on the last round of each mag.
    S&W came thru for me as since they fixed these two issues the gun has been flawless. Not even one jam after 300+ rounds.
    Nice thing was it was fixed for free even though I was not the original owner. They really do have great customer service.

I also traded in my 40c recently, I traded for a H&K p2000sk in 40S&W also. And It is hands down a better ccw for me. The reduced recoil alows for alot faster and more accurate follow up shots. Although I did not have a single problem with my M&P it performed perfectly. I also got a M&P 9c recently so I wont miss that snappy 40 to much. I love the M&P line, I own 4 now, I have owned 6 but traded two. Great line that s&w has there. But the H&K has me looking at moving my 45 buiseness to them.

I had a M&P 40. Loved it (still do) up until the point that my mags started to drop. Sent it back twice, same problem, so I got rid of it. S&W will take it back to look at it on their own dime but never listened to your requests. I asked that they take a look at the dimensions of the mag well (since they had issued with the mold on some frames), and replace if need be. I keep getting a response of "changed mag release & test fired". Besides that, it ate everything I gave it. Once they fix the issues, I'll consider getting another.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Bad luck on your M&P I love mine. Even worse luck for the next owner unfortunately. I wish you better luck with the PPS although the mag release on the PPS just doesn't work for me.

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

I agree with Howard. I definitely would have sent it back first and then traded it if the lust was gone.

With the price of metals steadily climbing through the roof, 9mm ammo will be a lot cheaper to practice with in the future.

Sorry to hear that your M&P .40 was a lemon.
    Last edited by crzy4guns; August 1st, 2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: grammatical error
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    With the price of metals steadily climbing through roof, 9mm ammo will be a lot cheaper to practice with in the future.

Sorry to hear that your M&P .40 was a lemon.
    This is one of the justifications I kept telling myself. I am not a caliber snob, .40 is good, but so is 9MM and with some Horandy TAP or Winchester defense rounds I'm sure 9MM is sufficient to get the job done. That said, 9MM is between $5 and $10 per box cheaper than .40 of the same brand/type.

BLC
    What kind of ammo were you shooting? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
    ...Brian

Soory to hear of your problems, how long did you own it and what ammo were you using? It sounds like your dealer got the best of this deal, unless you had it for a period of time. It was awhile ago when they were offering the $50 and extra mag deal, or are they still offering it? I hope you have better luck with the PPS, from what I have heard many are having problems with them as well. I hope you find one that works, keep us posted.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links