M and P compact 9mm

This is a discussion on M and P compact 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought one today..what should I expect?Break in period etc....I have shot the full size,but I got the compact as a carry and idpa gun.also changing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M and P compact 9mm

M and P compact 9mm

Bought one today..what should I expect?Break in period etc....I have shot the full size,but I got the compact as a carry and idpa gun.also changing the backstrap in the store,I couldn't get the little thingy out to take the BS off...was I doing something wrong?I followed the directions(I think)any tips?
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I recommend the following forum for M&P owners. The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com.

There is a new M&P owners forum that is also worth a look. New Page 1

You will find great M&P specific advice in both.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    +1! I love my fullsize.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

TonyB - You have to turn/rotate the frame tool and pull it out of the frame.
    The backstrap then comes right off. It's on pg 24 of my manual.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    also changing the backstrap in the store,I couldn't get the little thingy out to take the BS off...was I doing something wrong?I followed the directions(I think)any tips?
    The first few times that you try to remove the retainer it is very difficult. It's just plastic, so it will wear in after a few cycles.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

You will really like my MP9c. I use a MP40c as my primary gun and it is a gun anyone who has tried it loves to shoot and can shoot well. Great gun and one that fits my hand very well.

The backstrap is tight but after a couple of times it frees up. Most likely you will use it only a couple of times and then leave it. It unlocks by turning either way.

Enjoy your MPc.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Congrats on the M&P9c! It's my EDC. As Howard mentioned, definitely check out MP-Pistol.com . One caution on the frame tool, make sure you when reassembling that you push the tool in all the way, maybe even tap it on a solid surface, before turning it into the locked position. This will help to lessen the wear on the retainer tab.

Let us know how your compact treats you!

Senior Moderator
    My first experience with the M&P as posted when I first took it to the range.....

Okay, it's time for a mixed review on the M&P.

JD bought me the M&P for Christmas so that I could have a lighter 9mm for range and carry should I choose.

I chose the M&P after months of battling it out between the Glock 19 and the M&P. I liked the reputation of the Glock, but wished it were just a TINY bit smaller (and I did not want a 26) and I really didn't like the finger grooves on the Glock. I have tiny fingers and they proved to keep my hand lower than I wanted it. I also didn't like how thick the grip was on the Glock. Again, I have very small hands and the Glock grip is the Glock grip. The only way to change it is to put slip on grips over it but that only makes the grip bigger.

I had shot all of the M&P models when a S&W Rep brought them to the range I used to work at and I loved them all.

The decision was made, I got the M&P 9c.

Then I took it out to shoot it.

I got one 100-round box of Winchester White Box and my husband got two boxes of Remmington 9mm for his H&K P7 (we were kind of making a 9mm day out of it).

We were shooting outdoor, in just above freezing weather conditions with a pretty good wind and I was wearing gloves.

Right from the get go I was having a few feeding problems. The cartridge would get half into the chamber and not seat fully and the slide would fall on the cartridge.

Racking the slide seemed to do nothing as it would fail to extract the cartridge and attempt to feed the next and I'd instantly be stuck with a double feed type of jam.

I dropped the magazine, the round fed and I pulled the trigger... Nothing.

DARNED MAGAZINE DISCONNECT..

Let me tell you, that's going to be one of the first things to go.

Annoyed with my coat interfering with my stance as it was pulling on my shoulders, I removed my coat and rapid-fired a whole magazine into the target.

Not only did I get GREAT results in my group but the gun worked perfectly for the entire string of fire.

Confused, I went back to slow fire.

More failures to feed and failures to eject and extract.

I reassessed my grip and stance trying to make sure it wasn't me or limp wristing and when I was sure that it wasn't I was still confused by the feeding, ejecting and extracting problems.

I tried another string of rapid fire (since it seemed to work before) and EVERY SINGLE ROUND was a problem, mostly due to failures to extract and/or eject spent casings.

Frustrated, I gave it to JD to look at and he put a magazine through it only for it to work perfectly (although if memory serves us both correctly he used his Remmington Ammo, not my WWB).

He was very happy with how it felt in the hand and I was ticked that it worked so well for him.

He put another magazine through it and it worked wonderfully.

By this time we were out of ammo and we had to leave (also we were all pretty much frozen to the bone, especially since I took my coat off).

Even with the problems I have to say that this gun was VERY comfortable to shoot (when it did shoot). I was very disappointed with its failures because I was getting great shots with it.

I had a wonderful target with a beautiful hole COM and in the head. The double taps were easy and aiming the gun was as natural as pointing a finger. It came right back on target and was a joy to the hand even after 100 rounds.

Also, this was right out of the box. I had not, as of yet, cleaned or lubed the M&P so that may have also had something to do with it.

Of course I won't carry it until it has proved itself 100% reliable, and at about 300 rounds, if it's still having problems it's going back to the factory for some diagnostic medicine.

This is my first striker-fired gun and it's taking a little getting used to, especially with not having the visual confirmation of a hammer falling.

I'm going to have to get to know this gun a little better before I trust my life to it, but I'd be happy to carry it, if only it worked!

Every gun manufacturer puts out a few lemons in their time and most modern companies go through a lot of trouble to make sure they fix ailments in their firearms. I have no doubt that these issues would be addressed if I sent the gun back and if that's what it takes I'll do it.

I love the gun, I love how it feels. The trigger isn't as nice as my 1911, but one of the best striker-fired ones I've ever felt. The interchangeable palm swells are fabulous for people who have small hands (like me) and it really is a very comfortable shooting gun.

Once its reliable it will certainly find a place among my carry guns.
    Round 2..

I wrote about my first experience with the S&W M&P 9c and it's many frustrating problems to deal with including failures to feed, fire, eject and everything else. Not to mention the slide locking back prematurely.

So, we took it home, cleaned it up, oiled it and JD took it back out on one of their "guy's days to the range" trips.

For him and Chooie it worked beautifully for 100 rounds of Remington UMC and Winchester White Box.

So now it was my turn again with it and I'm pleased to report that it did 150 rounds of Winchester White Box with the only problem being two instances of the slide locking back prematurely. I didn't even notice it at first because I just assumed the gun was empty, dropped mag, reloaded and kept shooting only to pick up the other magazine and see that there was one round left.

It only did it twice and with only one round left in the magazines. (It also could have been because of my "high thumb" grip that I accidentally engaged the slide stop without knowing it.. Future range visits will tell.)

Next I'll have to see if it's a particular magazine. I think it may just need a little more "working."

Either way I'm thinking that all she needed was a good cleaning and a little more of a "break in."

We're getting there!
    I haven't taken it back out since then because I found out I was pregnant about.. oh a DAY after that post was written and shooting and pregnancy don't mix. So it's been sitting in the safe, waiting for the baby's birth.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Lima,

What you reported is exactly what I've encountered.

I recently purchased a 9c that has had a professional trigger job done on it.

I've fired probably 4-500 rds now and can report the following:

- NO problems with Rem/UMC FMJ (Dick's Sporting Goods, std 115 gr).

- CONTINUAL problems with WWB (Wal-Mart) ammo. FTF last round, premature lock-back, happened 4 out of 5 (I think) times on ONE MAG (other Mag only happened once out of ~10 loadings).

All the above was posted on the MP-Pistol forum by myself (and others).

Calling S&W is on my short list. They have a plant shut-down for the next two weeks so if I don't get to it by tomorrow it will have to wait. I also have 2 more new mags to test out for more data points.

Bottom line, seems to be one mag and ONLY with WWB ammo!

To easily remove the "tool", remove mag, (and make sure no round is in the chamber), put flat part of tool on an edge, eg table top, press down on gun while rotating pistol 90 degrees.

Cloudpeak

I got the tool out w/ a little wiggling......a buddy had some issues while breaking in his full size m and p....he thinks it's the stiff mags.I'm not gonna panic if I have few issues in the beginning..I will have a range report soon.Thanks for the replies.....

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I just bought a MP9c the day before yesterday and yesterday I took it out to the range for the first time.

Ammo:

Winchester USA 115 gr. 300 rounds
    Federal Tactical Bonded 135 gr. +P 100 rounds
    Winchester Ranger 147 gr. 50 rounds
    Corbon DPX 115 gr. 40 rounds

The only failure was a failure to extract on the 11th round of the first magazine.

The little bugger is a joy to shoot and is now my EDC with the Fed Tac load.

It's nice to know the tool is there but I've been using a hex wrench I have in my range bag. I think I'll just leave the tool where it is except for emergecies.
    Last edited by GentlemanJim; August 1st, 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    The first few times that you try to remove the retainer it is very difficult. It's just plastic, so it will wear in after a few cycles.
    I have not found this to be the case. Just as hard to remove now as it was 6 months ago. But anyway, I love my M&P 9

range reoprt:
    200 rounds,1FTF in the 2nd mag(white box ammo)
    fast and accurate.Shot at about 20 yards and closer.I wasn't trying real hard for accuracy,I was just trying to get a bunch of rounds thru it...all in all VERY happy.
    here's the ammo breakdown:100 white box,50 remington,50 Precision reloads,10 speer JHP,10 JHP of unknown brand.
    this week off to get a good ccw holster and another mag(till my free ones come).
    one thing my buddy noticed..all the brass was going exactly in the same place,which we took as a sign of a good positive extractor.Monday I'm putting more ammo of different kinds thru it and will report then too.But so far,I AM a M and P convert.

Love mine... perfection for concealed carry. About 1,000 rounds downrange thus far with no problems. I've only been shooting IDPA about two months now and shot the classifier this weekend with the M&Pc. I'm extremely pleased that I made the Sharpshooter classification with that little pistol. I only missed one shot (head shot) during the entire classifier!

I have a M&P Pro (5" model) in the mail which should make IDPA even more fun!
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links