SA vs DA Only 1911 first carry weapon

This is a discussion on SA vs DA Only 1911 first carry weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After firing my friend's 1911, I think I have decided I want a 1911. I think I am leaning toward the Kimber Pro Carry II ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SA vs DA Only 1911 first carry weapon

After firing my friend's 1911, I think I have decided I want a 1911. I think I am leaning toward the Kimber Pro Carry II (stainless).
    When I put in my hand, it was a perfect match.
    Perfect length, perfect grip angle, AMAZING TRIGGER PULL, Sights were naturally dead on and it will be easy to conceal on or about my skinny person.

My Problem lies with it being SA only. I am still not sure how OK with SA only I am.

As far as SA only goes, whenever I cock the slide, the hammer will come back and when it fires, the slide comes back and cocks the hammer again however, I am just not sure about carrying right away with a round in the chamber and the hammer back (even with the safety).

As far as DA Only goes, I dont't have the problem of hammer back but I lose the amazing trigger pull that the Kimber has.

I am trying to think how SA/DA would affect me in a survival situation whether my accuracy (smoother trigger pull) or my speed of draw/firing (not having to rack the slide if none in chamber or having to pull the hammer back because I am a "hammer back wimp") will give me the best chance.

What do you guys/gals think of SA vs DA (or even the Kimber itself) for a first conceal carry weapon??

Matt

I carry a SA 1911 and have no issues with it. The safeties are easy and natural to manipulate. Isreali carry (Condition 3) doesn't make sense to me, too slow, what if your off hand is busy fighting someone off.

It is a comfort thing, and a mental block, but you can get over it. Most DAO pistols don't have external safeties, yet somehow people feel more secure with them than 1911.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    People have carried the 1911 in condition 1 for almost 100 years now. It is a mental thing that just about everyone has to get over when getting used to them. Most DA/SA pistols can't be carried "cocked and locked" so you have a long mushy DA pull on the first round and then a nicer SA pull for all follow ups... which I always found weird trying to get used to. DAO's generally have longer pulls... though some do have nice triggers.

Personally I have no problem with a 1911 in condition 1... to me it makes good, good sense.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I have two Kimbers (CDP's), an Ultra, and a Compact (used to have a Pro, but traded that external extractor for the Compact with an internal extractor...another story).

The Kimber carried cocked and locked is as safe as any other pistol. Remember, it's always a trigger thing.
    With the 1911, you have the grip safety, the manual safety, and then the finger off the trigger (safety).

Once you get used to the idea of what cocked and locked does...you will forget about it...you're safe, the gun won't fire unless one has a grasp of the grip, releases the manual slide lock, and then puts the finger on the trigger.
    I'd call that about as safe as you can be with any pistol...OMO.

With developed 'muscle memory', the manual slide lock will be clicked off as the gun leaves the holster...a natural part of the draw. You won't even think about it.

I also have a Beretta 9000S (not a 1911)...it is an example of a DA/SA pistol (as mentioned by an above poster), and it can be carried with the hammer down, or cocked and locked...either way...not all DA/SA pistols can do that.

I think you would find the Kimber a suitable sidearm for CCW...I would, however, take a pistol self-defense course with it to become more familiar with its operation.

Stay armed...cocked and locked is good...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 1st, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A 1911, cocked and locked (Condition 1) is one of the safest carry weapon conditions that you can have. As stated, it takes 3 actions (thumb safety down, grip on the handle safety, and finger on the trigger pulling) to fire the weapon.

When presented with a threat, you start the draw, thumb clicks off slide safety, grip the handle safety, finger outside the trigger guard until sights on "shootable" target, and squeeze the trigger.

It takes practice on your handgun of choice, and you must understand which parts you manipulate to make it go boom.

Although we're concealed, a cocked and locked 1911 .45 is a damn sexy weapon; safe as well as leathel in the right hands.

If you're worried, go for a revolver. Just pull the trigger, not worry if SA, DA, DAO, or where the safety is, for the most part.

Go for the Kimber, a beautiful piece.

I personally have never felt comfortable with "cocked and locked" carry. I have Bersa 9mm and .45 pistols which are DA/SA. I carry in the DA mode with safety off. However, the option is available to carry "cocked and locked" with the safety on. More than the DA vs SA issue though, what keeps me away from 1911 type pistols is lack of a decocker. I don't relish the idea of my thumb slipping off the hammer while decocking.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

JD
    Administrator
    To the OP, read this: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-question.html

If C&L still isn't for you, but you still want a 1911, go with a Para LDA, it's a DAO 1911 with a very sweet trigger.

The easiest way to build confidence in Condition 1 carry is to carry it around your home for a while in Condition 1 but with an empty chamber. In a short time you'll realize it's not going to fire unless you pull the trigger. I frequently nap on the couch with my 1911 fully loaded and in Condition 1 - I still have only those holes in my body that I was born with.

The only caveat to this rule is that the firearm in question must be in mechanically sound condition. There's no way I'd carry ANY firearm I bought used until it was checked by a qualified gunsmith. There are lots of kitchen table 'smiths (aka "hacks") out there and carrying an unsafe pistol is simply not an option.

Use a quality holster that positively engages the thumb safety in the "ON" position and you won't have a problem with accidental discharges. I prefer leather but kydex works well for lots of folks, just be sure to buy one that's made for your specific model firearm - just as you would with a Sig, Glock, H&K, etc.. Leave the cheap, one size fits all, nylon holsters on the shelf where they belong.

You might also check out the Para Ordnance LDA models. I was honestly surprised and impressed by the smooth, light trigger pull when I tried one as I didn't expect to like them at all.
    Jack

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Not everyone is comfortable with cocked and locked no matter how safe it is...if you are even the least bit unsure, go with a double action...and having a trigger that requires a bit more pull in such a stressful situation isn't a bad thing to have...

+1 for the Para LDA if your looking for a DA 1911, you hardly feel the hammer move when you are pulling the trigger until the very end.

Another 1911 carrier in cocked and locked fashion. Takes a little getting use to but get it and carry it around the house for awhile. See how often it is no longer locked.(doesn't just flip off by itself.)

Enjoy your 1911. I am sure there will be more of them in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I personally have never felt comfortable with "cocked and locked" carry. I have Bersa 9mm and .45 pistols which are DA/SA. I carry in the DA mode with safety off. However, the option is available to carry "cocked and locked" with the safety on. More than the DA vs SA issue though, what keeps me away from 1911 type pistols is lack of a decocker. I don't relish the idea of my thumb slipping off the hammer while decocking.
    Just out of curiosity, why would you ever de-cock a loaded SA 1911?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I carry a 1911 too. Yeah, it looks scary until you understand how the 1911 functions.

Personally, I'm more concerned with a Glock. To me, a Glock is "cocked and un-locked"!

So you see, it's all in your head!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why would you ever de-cock a loaded SA 1911?
    My thought as well. I'm a strong believer in not going against one's conscience. So if C&L make you uncomfortable, don't do it. Just get a glock and carry cocked and unlocked. Works for a lot of folks.

Another test is to take an unloaded(triple check) 1911, cock it and engage the safety, put it in a box, and shake it around for a few hours. I bet that would cure your fears of C&L. I was skeptical of C&L at first until I had an old timer demonstrate to me how difficult it really is to get a 1911 to fire w/out pulling the trigger(that pretty much goes for any properly operating weapon).
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I carry a 1911 too. Yeah, it looks scary until you understand how the 1911 functions.

Personally, I'm more concerned with a Glock. To me, a Glock is "cocked and un-locked"!

So you see, it's all in your head!
    Along the lines of learning how the 1911 functions, check out this ANIMATION BY STI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links