TAC FOUR How do let the hammer down without..

This is a discussion on TAC FOUR How do let the hammer down without.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help! Can anyone help me! TAC FOUR hammer how do you let the hammer down without dry fire???.... I'am thinking that if I do that ...

Thread: TAC FOUR How do let the hammer down without..

TAC FOUR How do let the hammer down without..

Help! Can anyone help me! TAC FOUR hammer how do you let the hammer down without dry fire???.... I'am thinking that if I do that to often I will dammage something. I have a year old TAC FOUR coming.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Uhhh , I think the LDA action will have the hammer at rest until ya pull the trigger each time. The hammer will not rest in the cocked position as a SA 1911, Unless Para changed the LDA set up .

I real new I checked it out to day. I pulled the slide and the hammer went back a little then I fired. I tried to pull the trigger and it didn't fire after that. I guess. I will learn more after I get it out of layaway.

That doesn't make any sense -- the LDA is a double-action-only mechanism. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Lead Moderator
    It might need the slide to cycle for the trigger to reset. Been a while since I handled 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Help! Can anyone help me! TAC FOUR hammer how do you let the hammer down without dry fire???.... I'am thinking that if I do that to often I will dammage something. I have a year old TAC FOUR coming.
    I recommend that you get some kind of training on handling that pistol before you fire it/carry it.
    You can learn alot on these forums, but some issues can only be addressed with hands on training.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Cool Tac-four

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Please give frequent updates on this gun as I too, have been considering such a purchase. As I understand it, the slide is retracted and let fly forward into full battery and the hammer comes to rest against the frame but it is set. Then the safety is applied as if it were in SA "cocked and locked" mode. Take off the safety and the trigger pull is light smooth and sweet. But it only works once when there is not a live round followed by more live rounds. So dry fire works but once and live fire....boom...boom....boom! My concern with this is the length of travel the trigger must move to reset after each round. A lot of posters have stated that rapid fire....ain't.

The folks in my gun club tend to not like them for competition in IDPA because the springs wear out FAST (max 500rd spring life) and they say sometimes that's only one match. Also because the field strip and clean operation is extremely complex, so don't be fooled by 1911 looks...not so simple on the inside.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    I recommend that you get some kind of training on handling that pistol before you fire it/carry it.
    You can learn alot on these forums, but some issues can only be addressed with hands on training.
    Good luck.
    +1 and Amen to that!

Lead Moderator
    A lot of posters have stated that rapid fire....ain't.

Its about the same as any DAO pistol,only a lighter pull than most. Compared to a SA 1911, it is slower.

You can download a manual here http://www.paraord.com/pages/manual_PXT_LDA.html

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    A lot of posters have stated that rapid fire....ain't.

Its about the same as any DAO pistol,only a lighter pull than most. Compared to a SA 1911, it is slower.
    I think the salient question is how far must the trigger travel to reset for each shot? If the answer is to full extension, I would think the risk is there for the trigger finger to slightly lift for the end of each shot and that could send the next shot slightly off course as the surface pressure on the trigger face marginally alters.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I own a Tac Four. The slide must cycle for the trigger to reset. The trigger pull is sweet, but as someone here posted before, it's not a 1911. Also it's a bear to clean. The hammer is connected to the trigger action by a thin (0.020) link of blue spring steel. This link is hooked on a pin on the trigger action, and it's difficult to keep it hooked during re-assembly. It's kept in place by the inside of the slide, sort of a fragile design. Also the slide rails on the right side are much shorter than a 1911, due to the extra machining required for the LDA trigger action.

I'm considering selling mine, to get a micro-1911 as a BUG.
    Pershing SIR!!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I think the salient question is how far must the trigger travel to reset for each shot? If the answer is to full extension, I would think the risk is there for the trigger finger to slightly lift for the end of each shot and that could send the next shot slightly off course as the surface pressure on the trigger face marginally alters.

The LDA I shot was bettert han a DA revolver, but longer pull than a SA 1911. I would guess the pull affects it a bit, but not much as the pull is fairly light. I see it as a better choice for a DAO gun than most , if you are so inclined to carrry a DAO. If I remember right the Length of Pull isn't much more than a Glock. Beena while since I shot 1 though. Perhaps Frontsight can explain iit better, or atleast give his impressions on the trigger.

Thumbs down S.A. "micro?"

Quote Originally Posted by FrontSight
    I'm considering selling mine, to get a micro-1911 as a BUG.
    My SA "micro" was a total POS. Even the GURU of 1911's, Jeff Cooper has said that reliability with the sub-compact 1911's is problematical. I personally think that the 1911 design becomes inherently flawed when the barrel lengths shrink below 4." Witness that when I called WILSON COMBAT for one of their famous reliability packages on my micro they wrote back that they could do the job for $100 but they COULD NOT guarantee the job. That says a lot.

My "micro" had multiple FTF's and FTE's and was NEVER right....even from the get go. It had extractor problems. It had feed ramp issues....and after the first 500 rds and it still had troubles....I got rid of it. Even if I'd "ironed out" all the troubles....I'd never be able to trust it again. If you must have a compact 45 go for a Glock M30, or a Sig P245 (I have one of those and I love it) or one of the CZ/EAA family. Maybe a Beretta 8045 subcompact if you can find one.

Links