Defensive Carry banner

Annoying Magazine Rattle

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  digitalexplr 
#1 ·
I just got a new XD 45, and the magazine rattles, right at tha base of the grip. It is just a little sideways play. I was thinking of a wrap of electrical tape. Is there a better fix for this?
It is no big deal, but it is annoying for a new gun to rattle like this.

#2 · (Edited)
when i first got my xd45 it did the same thing, was thinking about doing something about it and poof it stopped,,,, dont know why it stopped, it just did, may be because i am not carrying it everyday that i just dont notice it anymore, but I went to the range yesterday with 3 13 round mags that had been preloaded for months sitting in the gun safe with the pistol and none of them rattled at all... Had a similar problem with kel tec mags for the p-11 never did bother to use the solution they had for it,, (kel tec forums, or if you cant locate it there pm me)

reread the origional post and not sure if I am understanding the problem,, are you saying the rounds are rattling in the mag or the mag is loose in the firearm to where it rattles? my problem was ammo inside the mag rattling,,, and it just stopped. you saying electical tape makes me assume its a poor fit for the mag, and for that I could not help you, sorry.

#3 ·
Is the mag contacting the sides of the mag well? Where is the "rattle" coming from? Does it do it with a empty mag? Just need some more info. If the mag moves around that much in the mag well it would worry me.

NCH

#4 ·
Throw the mag away and load them one at a time in the chamber,no more rattle to worry about:rofl:seriously tho like others have posted is it the rounds in the magazine rattling if it is a lot of double stack mags do the same thing,I never realised it til somebody brought it up in a forum on here and I grabbed a couple and shook them

#6 ·
My Kahr MK9 had some ply at the base of the grip so it rattled even when I carried IWB and tucked. I took care of it by stretching a small rubber bad above the floor plate of my carry magazine. The band acted as a buffer and made the fit tight. I considered electrical tape too, but the rubber band is a much cleaner solution that is less likely to roll up or leave residue.

#7 ·
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not uncommon for double stack mags to rattle a little. I just smack the back of the mag against the palm of my hand before inserting it into the pistol (or the spare into my mag pouch). This seems to help "seat" the rounds in the mag reducing the rattle.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything (electric tape, etc.) on the magazine. Just too "Murphy prone" for my tastes.

#9 ·
This would be fine if it were the bullets rattling in the mag itself, but that isn't the case, the mag itself is hitting the sides of the mag well. Is there a actual gap between the two that you can see? The reason I ask is I am wondering if debris could also get in this area? Try a rubberband it may solve both problems.

NCH

#12 ·
If there is so much "slop" that the mag is rattling around in the mag-well, you might want to call SA and ask them about it...that just doesn't sound right to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.