Annoying Magazine Rattle

Annoying Magazine Rattle

This is a discussion on Annoying Magazine Rattle within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a new XD 45, and the magazine rattles, right at tha base of the grip. It is just a little sideways play. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Magazine Rattle

Annoying Magazine Rattle

I just got a new XD 45, and the magazine rattles, right at tha base of the grip. It is just a little sideways play. I was thinking of a wrap of electrical tape. Is there a better fix for this?
    It is no big deal, but it is annoying for a new gun to rattle like this.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

when i first got my xd45 it did the same thing, was thinking about doing something about it and poof it stopped,,,, dont know why it stopped, it just did, may be because i am not carrying it everyday that i just dont notice it anymore, but I went to the range yesterday with 3 13 round mags that had been preloaded for months sitting in the gun safe with the pistol and none of them rattled at all... Had a similar problem with kel tec mags for the p-11 never did bother to use the solution they had for it,, (kel tec forums, or if you cant locate it there pm me)

reread the origional post and not sure if I am understanding the problem,, are you saying the rounds are rattling in the mag or the mag is loose in the firearm to where it rattles? my problem was ammo inside the mag rattling,,, and it just stopped. you saying electical tape makes me assume its a poor fit for the mag, and for that I could not help you, sorry.
    Last edited by Southtexas; August 3rd, 2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: clarifying what the question was

Is the mag contacting the sides of the mag well? Where is the "rattle" coming from? Does it do it with a empty mag? Just need some more info. If the mag moves around that much in the mag well it would worry me.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Throw the mag away and load them one at a time in the chamber,no more rattle to worry aboutseriously tho like others have posted is it the rounds in the magazine rattling if it is a lot of double stack mags do the same thing,I never realised it til somebody brought it up in a forum on here and I grabbed a couple and shook them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Is the mag contacting the sides of the mag well? Where is the "rattle" coming from? Does it do it with a empty mag? Just need some more info. If the mag moves around that much in the mag well it would worry me.

NCH
    Yes, the mag has play an the base of the grip, or mag well. Not much, but it is very noticable.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    My Kahr MK9 had some ply at the base of the grip so it rattled even when I carried IWB and tucked. I took care of it by stretching a small rubber bad above the floor plate of my carry magazine. The band acted as a buffer and made the fit tight. I considered electrical tape too, but the rubber band is a much cleaner solution that is less likely to roll up or leave residue.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not uncommon for double stack mags to rattle a little. I just smack the back of the mag against the palm of my hand before inserting it into the pistol (or the spare into my mag pouch). This seems to help "seat" the rounds in the mag reducing the rattle.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything (electric tape, etc.) on the magazine. Just too "Murphy prone" for my tastes.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I bet its the bullets rattling in the mag and not the mag rattling in the magwell. Mine does it. Take a round or two out and see if it stops.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not uncommon for double stack mags to rattle a little. I just smack the back of the mag against the palm of my hand before inserting it into the pistol (or the spare into my mag pouch). This seems to help "seat" the rounds in the mag reducing the rattle.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything (electric tape, etc.) on the magazine. Just too "Murphy prone" for my tastes.

This would be fine if it were the bullets rattling in the mag itself, but that isn't the case, the mag itself is hitting the sides of the mag well. Is there a actual gap between the two that you can see? The reason I ask is I am wondering if debris could also get in this area? Try a rubberband it may solve both problems.

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    What Matt an Tally said.

Its not bullets....that is a whole seperate rattle.

I really hate to put a rubber band on my new gun

If there is so much "slop" that the mag is rattling around in the mag-well, you might want to call SA and ask them about it...that just doesn't sound right to me.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    If there is so much "slop" that the mag is rattling around in the mag-well, you might want to call SA and ask them about it...that just doesn't sound right to me.
    That is exactly what he is saying and I wouldn't be happy with it either.

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If there is that much slop in the magazine fitment then you must have the wrong magazine. Did you purchase this gun new? Did you purchase extra magazines for it lately?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Can you give us a photo of the magwell with the mag inserted?

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links