Crimson Trace on a Glock

Crimson Trace on a Glock

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace on a Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who have used these I have a couple questions. While at my local gun shop today I held a customers G23 with a ...

Thread: Crimson Trace on a Glock

Crimson Trace on a Glock

For those who have used these I have a couple questions. While at my local gun shop today I held a customers G23 with a set of CT's and I really liked it. Before I order a set I have some questions though.
    First, I have a 2 nd gen G23, this means to finger grooves, I know many prefer this over the 3rd gens, but I like the finger grooves. I have a Hogue handal installed and I really like the grip now. I have carried this G23 for 12+ years and I am very accurate with it. My question is Can the Handal be used with the CT's? I can't see how this would be possible. First it would have to go inder the CT's as placing them on top would have the laser on at all times. But I am wondering if they could lay over the handal grip sleeve? What do you think? I am also wondering if I could trim the handall around the laser, just not sure if that would work. I am also contacting CT to see what they say.
    Next since this laser is mounted to the right side of the barell do you sight these in so the POI is 1/2" to the left of POA? It seems doing it this way would make the laser accurate for different distances. If you dial it so POI is dead nuts on POA this would only be good at a given distance , as the two would be criss crossing. 1/2" is not that important, and a Glock isn't a long range tool, but I was just curious how some of you have yours set up.
    Also how good are these to stay dialed in? They seem to be rock solid on the pistol, and that was something I was worried about. The man who owned the pistol says he has shot thousands, and thousands of rounds out of it and has never had to readjust anything.
    The only draw back I see is if there were an instance where you didn't want the laser to activate it doesn't seem there is a quick on off switch on these.
    I am just looking for general anwesrs to these questions and feedback. Also is this something a average Joe can install or does it need a gunsmith? It appears the pin in the frame has to be removed and replaced with a longer one.
    Thanks
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have a CT on my 1911 Gov't 45 and it is rock solid after aeveral thousand rounds. I have it dialed in at 7 yards and it puts a few through the same hole if I use a rest. Mine has an on/off at the bottom of the grip panel and it easy to use..

I hope someone helps with the specifics on the Glock model..

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I think you can email CT will all of your questions. I got a pretty quick response from them awhile back.Crimson Trace: Laser Gun Sights For Shooters
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

CT on Glock

I have CT on my 3 rd gen G27. They are a snug fit and I don't see how you could put them over a rubber slide on grip. You may possibly trim you rubber grip to go over the CT. As for sighting in CT are preset by the factory.
    I had to make no change to mine, accurate enough to 20 + yards.

The folks at CT should be able to give solid answers to your questions.

I kinda doubt that the grip-sleeve will work with the CT's...you could however stipple the grip where it's not covered by the CT.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thank's y'all, I have already contacted them but thought I would ask y'all. Yeah the Glock models don't have a master on/off switch and that is a draw back. I also looked at the lasermax but my local shop stopped carrying them because they had to many returns, the owner himself went through 2 in 6 months. I have actually been planning on doing some stipplin so I may just do that. I have looked at the photos more closely and I do believe I can trim the handall around the laser. Found a company selling them for $170, with lifetime supply of batteries and no shipping. Not a bad deal and the laser would be a help to these old eyes, although no replacement for iron sights. I just put a set of TFO's on the G23 today and these sights are totally awesome. You would swear someone has placed a light bulb in each vial!!
    Take Care

Kevin
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    As for sighting in CT are preset by the factory.

I have them on a 629 and a Colt Model 70 and both are adjustable.

Yes they are adjustable, there is a small allan head screw for elevation and windage. I just wish there was a master on/off switch.

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Yes they are adjustable, there is a small allan head screw for elevation and windage. I just wish there was a master on/off switch.
    NCH
    I agree with the master switch, but the Glock's grip dosn't make it easy to get a 'wrap-around' CT grip without completly changing the Glock's dynamic.

I've had a CT on my 3rd gen. G23 for a year now. The factory preset was way off......no problem. I adjusted it to be centered from about 6 yards out to about 11-12 yds. (the laser dot "disappears" in the bullet's hole at those distances). I double-check it every range trip and have not had to adjust it. That G23 has been my EDC for almost a year now. I trust it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks everyone, I placed a order with Shooters Resource, they have them for $170 with FREE shipping and lifetime supply on batteries. I also have a new set of TFO's on this pistol. As I said I handled a Glock 23 yesterday ( 3rd gen) with a set of CT's on it and it felt very comfortable, it added a palm swell to the grip that I found fit my hand very nice. We will see how they fit on my 2nd gen. I will also see if I can trim the handal around the CT or if I just learn to shoot without it.
    As for sighting the laser in, it would seem to me that if you kept the POA/POI offset 1/2" to the left it would be the same at 7 yards and it would be at 27 yards. It is when you adjust the POA/POI to be exactly the same that you now have a criss crossed pattern and there fore a fixed distance where the laser will be accurate. I realize this isn't really a SD worry, as 1/2" is nothing in a SD situation. I am just wondering what will be the best way to adjust the laser. I will probably try it both ways.
    Thanks again for all your help.

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    ....... I am just wondering what will be the best way to adjust the laser. I will probably try it both ways.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    NCH
    I set the distances on my CT the way I did because most SD and officer involved shootings (fed., state, and local) occure between 3 and 15 feet (roughly a car length). If I needed the laser it would be dead-on at and slightly past the distance of most shootings. This is based on my own readings, searches, and views.

That's only if I believed I needed the assistance of the laser............

I like my CT, I'm keeping it where it is. I don't need it. I practice and train without it. I don't use one on duty. Lasers can become a crutch and should not replace good, sound training and practice in the basics. Lasers certinly have a place and a use, just don't abandon using and training with your sights either.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I understand the logic of dialing it in for a given distance but you surely understand 1/2" off and being parallel would mean the same for any given distance, at least in theory and has it's benefits. Don't need to preach to me about iron sights, I have hunted for years with a 30-30 while all my buddies were looking through their 9x scopes I was looking through a large ghost ring, and I was usually more accurate!! As I said I just installed a set of TFO's on the gun as well so I am certainly covered either way, but I agree a laser can be very bad if you don't have the fundamentals down forst.

NCH
    Last edited by NCHornet; August 6th, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Sponsored Links