Kel-Tec PF9 Range Report

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF9 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a new Kel-Tec PF9. I went home, cleaned and oiled it and went to the range the next weekend. I shot 200 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF9 Range Report

Kel-Tec PF9 Range Report

I recently purchased a new Kel-Tec PF9. I went home, cleaned and oiled it and went to the range the next weekend. I shot 200 rounds of WWB through it and I was a little disappointed. I had about 8 FTF's during the session. Most seemed to occur on the 3rd to the last round in the magazine.

I don't think I am limp wristing it since I also have a Kahr PM9 and I have about 700 flawless rounds through it.

Should I try the fluff and buff next?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post

yes, along with different ammo and magazines.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks Sixto. So... does the PF9 prefer certain brands of ammo over others or is it just a matter of finding which ones mine likes?

Administrator
    Thanks Sixto. So... does the PF9 prefer certain brands of ammo over others or is it just a matter of finding which ones mine likes?
    Mine does... It likes WWB, but hates the other "bargain" ammo, like the UMC etc. I think you just to experiment a little; but a fluff n buff makes a huge difference too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

cj
    Maybe a good cleaning, and possibly a different magazine? Sorry to hear your trouble. I've been loving mine through WWB, Speer Gold Dots, and some rather dangerous reloads that I should have known better than to use, and had no problems.

Polishing the ramp & chamber won't hurt but I found with both of mine, the only times I had any problems was towards the end of a session shooting bunch of rds. Think the little thing tires me out more than I realize. Since I went w/50 rd per range visit limit, no problems in over a year. Shoot it first, then move on to bigger gun.

polishing the feed ramp is super easy, it made a difference on my P11.

i just bought a pf9 today for pocket carry. shot only 50 rounds of wwb with no problems so far.

I recently purchased a new Kel-Tec PF9. I went home, cleaned and oiled it and went to the range the next weekend. I shot 200 rounds of WWB through it and I was a little disappointed. I had about 8 FTF's during the session. Most seemed to occur on the 3rd to the last round in the magazine.

I don't think I am limp wristing it since I also have a Kahr PM9 and I have about 700 flawless rounds through it.

What does the s/n start with? Here is a link with a S/n breakdown KTOG Forum - A SHORT HISTORY (SO FAR) OF THE PF9

I have what they term as a 4th generation. I have only had a couple FTF. I would think a fluff & buff is in order.

From KTOG, anyone with a R6xxxx or higher SN is have no problems. My R6xxxx PF9 works perfectly without any problems firing 115 or 124/5 grain ammo. 147 square nose FMJ Ranger it does not like.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Check the barrel and see if it's an original PF-9 (first generation) or the modified version. The first batch of guns used the same barrel as the P-11 and there were problems due to it's short feed ramp. Around April of last year, K-T modified the barrel/feed ramp on PF-9's by making the ramp a bit longer and with a slight curve. Most feeding problems seem to have stopped after the mod. You may have an earlier model with the P-11 style feed ramp.

I have a gun with the new barrel & ramp and in the 18 months I've owned it I've have had no problems.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

The serial on my new PF-9 starts with RA****. I'm assuming that means it is fairly new on the production line. I spent 1.5 hours this weekend bonding with my new pistol performing the "fluff & buff" procedure. I'll try and get to the range this week and run another 200 rounds through it and report back. Thanks for all the advice.

GL

I have a P11 feeds everything without a hiccup including lead round nose reloads,Keltec owners website has good info on polishing feed ramps etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Update

I went to the range today and ran 200 rounds of WWB through my fluffed and buffed PF-9. I had one FTF. Not perfect, but a definite improvement.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and support.

GL

Hand sore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links