I want to move from revolver to pistol for ccw.

This is a discussion on I want to move from revolver to pistol for ccw. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have been carrying a S&W Air Lite .357 Mag Revolver. for 3&1/2 years. I was thinking of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to move from revolver to pistol for ccw.

Question I want to move from revolver to pistol for ccw.

Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I have been carrying a S&W Air Lite .357 Mag Revolver. for 3&1/2 years. I was thinking of going to a bigger caliber like the .45 auto but I don't know anything about sub-compact pistols and I can only rent full sizes at my ranges. (I own many full size pistols but no sub-compacts) So I need advice from you guys if you don't mind. I hope I'm not asking to many question but this is whats on my mind.

1. Are sub-compact guns reliable or should I stay with a bigger gun? (Ex. Is glock 30sf ok?) do sub-compacts jam up allot more? If so then why so so many people carry them?

2. Would a revolver in .45 long colt be better? (more accurate, easier to shoot) I was looking at the Taurus Judge also.

3. Can I hit a target from 25 yards with a subcompact .45 with out much practice? I am good with my full frame guns. Are sub-compacts allot harder to control than my big guns?

4. Is .45 auto ok to have in a sub-compact? I heard that the barrel of a .45 should be long so it has more speed because a .45 is slow.

5. Would you guys recommend something else or is my choice ok?

6. I keep hearing that their are much better guns than glock, like h&k. What does better mean? Easier to shoot? Will a H&K subcompact jam less than a Glock?

7. If I want a Glock more accurate I can just drop in a longer barrel right?

I'm so sorry about the long post. I just thought I will get it all out now and then I wont have to post anymore.

Any suggestions will help. If I wasn't specific enough just ask me a question and I will clarify.

Thank you all so so much.

Last edited by JD; August 7th, 2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Fixed emoticon

2. Remove Ads

The short answer; it depends.

Some subcompact .45's are known to be hit or miss as far as reliability. For instance, 3" 1911's have a reputation(undeserved, IMO) of FTF's or FTE's, but for the most part, they have all gotten more reliable.

As far as accuracy, it is more dependant upon the type of gun you choose. A 1911 will probably be more accurate than you are. I often shoot at 25 yards with my 3" 1911 and score much better than I do with a full size XD.

My recommendation would be a Kimber Ultra Carry or something similiar. 1911 in .45, with a great trigger, and amazing accuracy.

I would avoid the .45 long colt because of price of ammo and how difficult it is to find.

ETA: And welcome to the forum!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard LockingBlock!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    The short answer; it depends.

Some subcompact .45's are known to be hit or miss as far as reliability. For instance, 3" 1911's have a reputation(undeserved, IMO) of FTF's or FTE's, but for the most part, they have all gotten more reliable.

As far as accuracy, it is more dependant upon the type of gun you choose. A 1911 will probably be more accurate than you are. I often shoot at 25 yards with my 3" 1911 and score much better than I do with a full size XD.

My recommendation would be a Kimber Ultra Carry or something similiar. 1911 in .45, with a great trigger, and amazing accuracy.
    see now... the 1911 is what I wanted in the first place but I couldn't get over all the bad things people say about them. people even say bad things about the new 1911's so it really turned me off. I carried a revolver for so many years because I am scared that anything else might jam. I am doomed. :( I don't ever think I will find the perfect carry gun.

I would say that most modern Autos are more accurate than we the users are. As for accuracy out to 25 yards, for self defense purposes, I would hesitate shooting any gun at that distance.

#6. My Glocks (21 and 23) have never jammed even when I first got them, so how can a gun do better than this? :)

As for wanting to try out a sub compact auto, why not as someone at the range if you can try out their gun? I can't imagine someone saying no if you offer to buy your own ammo - I wouldn't.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

I carry an Officer's 1911 and would never recommend against it...

that said...

I would question your underlying assumption that a .45 is better than a .357.

If you didn't have either, then I would certainly suggest any number of choices very similar to the Kimber mentioned above. BUT if you already have a .357 and are comfortable with it... I can't help thinking you're spending a lot of effort to make a marginal-if-any upgrade.

.357 kicks butt. Yeah, so does a .45ACP, but still... If you're accurate with your current gun at 25 yards (way more than SD range) and you have total confidence in it then I'd say, "stick with it"

And again, that's from somebody who carries a .45

edit: - on the topic of Glocks... I'm not a Glock hater, but I'll probably never own one. - I just can't stand the trigger feel, but understand that's a personal preference. - If you are even remotely considering buying one, I strongly advise you shoot two or three different glocks before you do. -you might love it, but you might hate it.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

That's a good point Fozzy.

The .357 and the .45 ACP is so close in terms of effectiveness for SD, why're you thinking of switching? (Just curious).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LockingBlock View Post
    see now... the 1911 is what I wanted in the first place but I couldn't get over all the bad things people say about them. people even say bad things about the new 1911's so it really turned me off. I carried a revolver for so many years because I am scared that anything else might jam. I am doomed. :( I don't ever think I will find the perfect carry gun.
    I carry one of three commander sized (4 1/4") 1911's daily. I have not experienced ANY feed/eject problems of any kind since day one. In fact, the only malfunction I have had was me not seating the magazine! I have over 1000 roiunds through my Springfield Loaded Champion and about 400 rounds each through my S&W 1911PD and SC.

I use Wilson 47D magazines in these weapons and have complete confidence in them.

There are a lot of 1911 guys and gals here who will tell simular stories but nothing beats your own experience!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I agree completely ChuckE. At 25 it wouldn't be self defense but I want a ccw that is accurate. i just threw a number out there.

sorry about the confusion.

In my humble opinion he .45acp doesn't lend itself well to super short barrels because it is such a low pressure round.

I carry a 4" 1911. The 3" models scare me. There are many that are completely reliable and many that are not, even within the same manufacturer and model. They seem pretty pricey for such a gamble. Also, self defense effectiveness isn't as simple as measuring the diameter of the projectile.

I personally carry 230gn JHPs in my 4" 1911. Sometimes, I carry a 9mm or a .38 snubbie instead. I'm completely comfortable with all of them. I mostly carry the 1911, but it's not for the big bullet, it's because I shoot it the best.

There are many semi-autos that are very reliable. Springfield XD, Glock, HK, Sig Sauer. It might be good to narrow your search a bit, then ask. If you just throw out the question, "Which gun is the best and most reliable?" you'll get more responses than there are guns.

Also, think about recoil. That's going to go up quite a bit in a small, light gun when compared to your full size guns. You'll probably place accurate shots more quickly in a lower recoiling load.

In small autos I tend to lean towards 9mm over larger calibers. In the same amount of time, I can shoot 5 accurate shots with a 9mm verses 3 with a .45 from a small pistol. Given that, the .45acp's big holes no longer have an advantage. In fact, given that shot placement trumps hole size, the 9mm probably has an advantage here because I have 5 chances to hit something important rather then 3.

If you can't shoot the subcompacts that interest you, at least hold them at the gun store, then ask for opinions on them from folks that do have them.

Some good ones are:
    Glock 26/27
    XD Subcompact
    S&W M&P Compact
    HK P2000SK
    Sig 239

If you insist on a small .45 then,
    Glock 30/36
    Kimber CDP

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    I carry an Officer's 1911 and would never recommend against it...

that said...

I would question your underlying assumption that a .45 is better than a .357.

If you didn't have either, then I would certainly suggest any number of choices very similar to the Kimber mentioned above. BUT if you already have a .357 and are comfortable with it... I can't help thinking you're spending a lot of effort to make a marginal-if-any upgrade.

.357 kicks butt. Yeah, so does a .45ACP, but still... If you're accurate with your current gun at 25 yards (way more than SD range) and you have total confidence in it then I'd say, "stick with it"

And again, that's from somebody who carries a .45

edit: - on the topic of Glocks... I'm not a Glock hater, but I'll probably never own one. - I just can't stand the trigger feel, but understand that's a personal preference. - If you are even remotely considering buying one, I strongly advise you shoot two or three different glocks before you do. -you might love it, but you might hate it.
    Fozzy Bear.

Sorry about the confusion. The gun is a .357 but I shoot .38's in it. I in no way can shoot a .357 Air Lite accurately at 25 yards but I can shoot my other full frame auto's accurately at 25 Yards. This is why I was looking for an upgrade.

sorry about the confusion again.

Ah, that makes sense.

I still think the best thing for you to do is to try and shoot as many autos as you can and feel what's best for you. Then you'll have a better idea what you may be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by LockingBlock View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I have been carrying a S&W Air Lite .357 Mag Revolver. for 3&1/2 years. I was thinking of going to a bigger caliber like the .45 auto but I don't know anything about sub-compact pistols and I can only rent full sizes at my ranges. (I own many full size pistols but no sub-compacts) So I need advice from you guys if you don't mind. I hope I'm not asking to many question but this is whats on my mind.

1. Are sub-compact guns reliable or should I stay with a bigger gun? (Ex. Is glock 30sf ok?) do sub-compacts jam up allot more? If so then why so so many people carry them?
    Glock 30SF is fine, so's a 19/23/32
    2. Would a revolver in .45 long colt be better? (more accurate, easier to shoot) I was looking at the Taurus Judge also.
    The street results of the 45 Colt aren't as good as some of the more "modern" calibers.
    3. Can I hit a target from 25 yards with a subcompact .45 with out much practice? I am good with my full frame guns. Are sub-compacts allot harder to control than my big guns?
    Depends, I do headshots with my J-Frame at 25 Yards. It all depends on you, and how good you are.
    4. Is .45 auto ok to have in a sub-compact? I heard that the barrel of a .45 should be long so it has more speed because a .45 is slow.
    When you start chopping off the Barrel of a 45 ACP you notice a drastic decrease in bullet velocity, moreso than say a 9 MM. I load 185 Grain +P JHP's in my shorter barreled 45's.
    5. Would you guys recommend something else or is my choice ok?
    The Glock 30SF is a good weapon. I wouldn't feel bad if that's all I had.
    6. I keep hearing that their are much better guns than glock, like h&k. What does better mean? Easier to shoot? Will a H&K subcompact jam less than a Glock?
    It all depends on what you're looking for. It's just like Revolvers, some people like Ruger, some like S&W and some won't own anything but a Colt.
    7. If I want a Glock more accurate I can just drop in a longer barrel right?
    Instead of dropping in a longer barrel, spend more time practicing. The shorter barrel will be more accurate than you are.
    I'm so sorry about the long post. I just thought I will get it all out now and then I wont have to post anymore.
    Keep asking questions, it's how you learn.
    Any suggestions will help. If I wasn't specific enough just ask me a question and I will clarify.
    Get a 30SF and go shoot, and have fun, but stay safe.
    Thank you all so so much.
    You're welcome. Biker
    I put my answers in Bold in your post.

Thanks for the input biker

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret

As your questions have been answered above, let me also recommend the Kimber Ultra in .45.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links