Glock 21

Glock 21

This is a discussion on Glock 21 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting a glock 21 not for carry but as a house gun because I really like the 45 acp cartridge. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 21

Glock 21

I am looking at getting a glock 21 not for carry but as a house gun because I really like the 45 acp cartridge. I was wondering what people feel/think about the glock 21.
    It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Glocks are pretty reliable tools and 45 ACP is a more than an adequate round for home defense.

However I recommend that you hold a G21 in your own hand and fire it to see if it works for you. Some folks find it too big or clunky in their hands to use comfortably.

I have a G19 which is fine for me; it may not be fine for you.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Glocks are pretty reliable tools and 45 ACP is a more than an adequate round for home defense.

However I recommend that you hold a G21 in your own hand and fire it to see if it works for you. Some folks find it too big or clunky in their hands to use comfortably.
    I'd have to go with a 21SF (slim frame) I finally got to wrap my hand around a G30 and a G30SF and couldn't believe the difference.

Well it's a Glock so it's going to be damn reliable. You chose the 21 so you'll have the time-tested .45 ACP. I've shot a Glock 21 before, it felt like all the other Glocks I've shot, so-so. Go and shoot one and see how you like it. Try some other guns as well. If you've got your heart set on .45 then take a look at the Sig Sauer P220, the H&K USP .45, the Smith and Wesson M&P .45, and of course a 1911. Take some time, shoot them all and then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'd have to go with a 21SF (slim frame) I finally got to wrap my hand around a G30 and a G30SF and couldn't believe the difference.
    Agreed. That's why I don't have my G21 anymore. While I still have the rest of the Glock flock, and I've singled out the specific 'house (bedtime) guns', all of mine get carried in their own time. For me and the G21, it just wasn't happening. Since the SF versions of the G21 and G30 were not available when I had mine, they've both gone separate ways and I've looked elsewhere for my 45acp. If the SF models would have come out a couple years ago, I'd likely never have strayed from Glock. It is what it is, and I've never owned a handgun for the specific purpose of being a 'house gun'. If I did, the G21 wouldn't be a bad idea, but then again, if I were to picture/imagine a 'house gun', it would probably be more along the lines of a 1911 model despite a smaller magazine capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    well. If you've got your heart set on .45 then take a look at the Sig Sauer P220, the H&K USP .45, the Smith and Wesson M&P .45, and of course a 1911. Take some time, shoot them all and then decide.
    Another good point! My 'other than Glock' choice is currently the SIG P220 SAO! But remember....it's not my 'house gun'.

Don't discard the idea of a Glock-36...still a .45 ACP.

Wait until you wrap you hands around the G-36.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's a Glock!!! You will be well protected. I myself prefer the G23 but that is why they make so many different models. Get a set of TFO sights for it, you will love it. By far the brightest sights I have seen on a firearm. I also just ordered a set of CT grips for it, I will give a report on them once they arrive.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I like my G21. But definitely take one out for a test run before you purchase one...the thick and chunky grip ain't for everyone.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

glock 21

i have and carry on a daily basis at times mostley in the colder weather my glock 21 its has worked flawless and is extreamly accurate and reliable for my home and sd carry gun i load it up with rem gs 230 jhp ammo and its all set to rock & roll if needed. like i said i carry it in the cooler weather in a shoulder holster under a winter coat and at times i carry it in a galco summer compfort in the appendix position, i also have a safepacker pouch holster which is great in any weather, and if need be attaches to my car safety belt for added security and quick access, i always carry it with 2 full mags just in case. sure it does feel heavy in the beginning but after 2 yrs ive become use to the weight of it, as i am not a small person so the gun feels good on me, last note i bought a winter jacket from Mc gills catalog that is made by sig arms it has large pockets sewn inside each side of the jacket which fits mostly all size hand guns and extra mags inside it as well another great conceal carry item for you guys to check out

The G21 is my duty weapon. I just got my NJ firearm ID and my first 2 handgun purchase permits so Im shopping around for the best price on my off-duty weapon purchases. In the meantime, I carry the G21 probably 95-98% of my off-duty time. I agree that the grip isn't for everyone. I like it, but I have big hands and long fingers. If the gun wasn't so big and thick, I would probably keep it as my EDC for most situations. Once I find a good price and get the wife to agree, I'm going to get a G30 and a Ruger Sp-101.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman85 View Post
    I am looking at getting a glock 21 not for carry but as a house gun because I really like the 45 acp cartridge. I was wondering what people feel/think about the glock 21.
    Sweet is what I think. I love the 21 - not so much for carrying - but for home & range. If it fits your hand - purchase one by all means.

Great pistol, had mine for a few months and is the best pistol I've had. Alot of people are going to tell you the grip is too wide, I'd look at one first at a gun store and grip it yourself to see if it fits you. For me personally it is the best grip I've had on a pistol and I have average sized hands. Overall though love it!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

If if fits your hand give it a hard looks. It is my main carry gun, I have not been disappointed.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I carry my G21 quite a bit, and have shot a few IDPA matches with it. It's a great gun- corrosion resistant, accurate, 13 + 1 capacity, lightweight, dead reliable. I'd recommend it to anyone!
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

VIP Member
    I've carried a G30 for my CC piece for 3 years, finally got a used G21 from a buddy a few weeks ago
    I love it!, recoil is very tame and it shoots great, accurate-very accurate, it now resides in my bedside safe with a Streamlight TLR light as my extra home defense weapon and is on my hip when I go on the road

definitely get your hands on one and shoot if possible, but if you can grip it properly I don't think you'll be disappointed
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links