Walther PPS

Walther PPS

This is a discussion on Walther PPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took delivery of my new Walther PPS in 9MM yesterday and headed straight for the range to test her out. All I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Walther PPS

I just took delivery of my new Walther PPS in 9MM yesterday and headed straight for the range to test her out. All I can say is: WOW!

What a great shooting gun this is. I was hitting the bullseye at 25 feet with the first 4 rounds out of the gun. The fit and finish is top notch. The svelte profile of the frame hides well under summer clothes and the recoil is Cadillac plush. My only criticism is the capacity. I would like to have 1 or 2 more in the mag.

I had my XD40SC and the LCP along for comparison and concluded that the PPS will be my new daily carry. The XD40SC is a solid performer and very trustworthy and comfortable to shoot but it is a brick compared to the PPS. After shooting the PPS and the XD and characterizing their felt recoil as "plush" I picked up the LCP and realized for the first time how harsh that little beast is on the webbing of the hand. 2 dozen rounds out of the LCP and I was ready to put it away for the day. It is a great little BUG but man does it transfer the energy back into the hand of the shooter. I just wanted to share my first impressions of my new Walther PPS.

Notice the bullseye, it was punched out with the first 4 shots at 25 feet. This gun is as intuitive to shoot as my H&K P7. Point, Shoot, Dead.

Sorry about the fuzzy range shots, they were taken on a cellphone camera.

Hey there congrats! Nice looking gun you got there! Just one question though. How do you feel about the functionality of the magazine release and the design of the magazines and how they interact with the grip.

When I held this gun I had much difficulty working the release and when i did the mag would not drop (the extended mag that is) because the mag itself acts as part of the grip so my hand held it in place.

Granted I never shot the gun and did not really get to use it in a practical testing session, but how did the above mentioned things work for you? Do you feel that they would work well in a high stress situation?

Thanks

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

Quote Originally Posted by matt8185 View Post
    Hey there congrats! Nice looking gun you got there! Just one question though. How do you feel about the functionality of the magazine release and the design of the magazines and how they interact with the grip.

When I held this gun I had much difficulty working the release and when i did the mag would not drop (the extended mag that is) because the mag itself acts as part of the grip so my hand held it in place.

Granted I never shot the gun and did not really get to use it in a practical testing session, but how did the above mentioned things work for you? Do you feel that they would work well in a high stress situation?

Thanks

Matt
    As a civilian and shooting enthusiast I feel it is incumbent on me to work out all the kinks that may arise in a "pressure" situation. As far as the mag release lever is concerned I didn't seem to have a problem adjusting to it and I even remarked to my buddy how much I liked it. I have small hands so maybe someone with large paws might get a different impression. Personally, I love the gun. This is the one I traded in my S&W M&P .40c for because I had problems with the S&W and it left a very bad first impression on me.

The first impression of this gun was everything it should be. It was brand new (straight from store to range) so no time to oil or clean before it ate a box of WWB, a box of Remington, a box of Federal and one old Black Talon I found in the sock drawer. It was pure bliss. I got her home and cleaned her up and it is just a marvel of German precision machining. I highly reccomend trying one out or picking one up.

I like the magazine release on my Walthers. It works real nice for me!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Very cool.

I have very mixed feelings about the Walther PPS.

My wife has the P99C. She and I both don't know how the PPS makes us feel. A little buyer's remorse mixed with confusion.

We can't find a store that has one (just so we can feel it in our hands). All the ranges we know that rent would never put up for rent as they are selling them so fast. We don't know anyone with one.

IOM PPS vs J-Frame

PPS: 9mm better round than .38. A good pocket gun, one of the best inside the waist holster carries.

J-frame: A little better in the pocket carry. Can be shot in a coat pocket (sounds sinister, but is a plus). Can shoot .357 Mag (but unrealistic for most).

Greatful for post (and a gun I am thinking hard about). Has anyone else shot the PPS?

Quote Originally Posted by matt8185 View Post
    Matt
    I experienced the very same thing when checking one out at a gun show. It killed the sale for me. The mid-sized mag with the small grip seems the most problematic. I suspect that if one changed to the large grip which seems to protrude beyond the mag, that might make it functional (I like the mid-sized grip where I can get all three fingers on). Ah, but then there's that atypical mag release. Not for me. I'll wait till S&W makes an M&P 9c single stack as thin as the PPS. Then I'll be in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    I experienced the very same thing when checking one out at a gun show. It killed the sale for me. The mid-sized mag with the small grip seems the most problematic. I suspect that if one changed to the large grip which seems to protrude beyond the mag, that might make it functional (I like the mid-sized grip where I can get all three fingers on). Ah, but then there's that atypical mag release. Not for me. I'll wait till S&W makes an M&P 9c single stack as thin as the PPS. Then I'll be in heaven.
    There is just something magical about that sound of German steel slapping as a round slides into the chamber. I love USA made too but you have to admit that the Germans know how to build things to a higher standard. I date a German girl for that very reason.

However, I hate the DeSantis holster I bought. I stopped at Alessi Holster's shop yesterday but it was closed so he may be on vacation. I cannot be sure if he is even making one for this gun without a custom order. Any suggestions as to some nice leather that isn't stamped by DeSantis and that won't take 6 months of waiting?

bae
    I like my PPS quite a lot. My only complaint is the difficulty I've had finding magazines for it for a sane price.

I also like my PPS .40 cal a lot. It has been working very well in my dress slacks as a front pocket gun and has been replacing my 340PD in that role most of the time lately.

People get all wrapped up in the mag release, but I do like it. I know during stress I may stumble for a brief moment since I practice with and carry standard mag release type guns as well but one should remember that my 5 + 1 then at least two more six round mags in the pocket still has my 340PD beat by a long-shot on the reload time. If I'm still fighting after the first six then I'm still better off than I would have been with the 340PD and speed loaders or strips.

Siafu:
    Congrats on the new gun. I've had zero problems with mine (both 9mm & 40S&W). I'm anxiously awaiting my UBG Canute holster so I can start carrying the 40.

PShooter:
    Don't know if you'd be interested, but Andean, Inc. does have the 7 round mags for the 40 in stock. I just ordered an extra 6 round and a 7 round from them. Received delivery in just a few days.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a First Edition and love it. I carry it mostly in my pocket or SmartCarry, but I do have a SuperTuck for it as well. I have about 900 rounds through it so far.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I like my PPS in 9MM a lot. Very pleased with it. As a person with small hands, I find the grip fantastic- I can actually get my hand around it for a change. By comparison, my father, who, at 6'3" is an average sized guy with large hands, likes his PPS equally well, though he does prefer to carry the largest of the 3 magazines in it.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

I have been looking at these, I think the front profile looks like a small Desert Eagle. Where is the mag release? Is that a button on the base , front side, of the grip, just in front of the mag well? I am proficient with my Sip P232 with the mag release on the base of the mag well, just not sure if I would like it on the lower front, if that is indeed where it is. I too haven't seen one in a store, but our gun shops are pretty weak!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I have been looking at these, I think the front profile looks like a small Desert Eagle. Where is the mag release? Is that a button on the base , front side, of the grip, just in front of the mag well? I am proficient with my Sip P232 with the mag release on the base of the mag well, just not sure if I would like it on the lower front, if that is indeed where it is. I too haven't seen one in a store, but our gun shops are pretty weak!!

NCH
    The mag release is the bottom portion of the trigger guard. It can be pushed down from either side.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I just a photo of the right side and saw it there on the trigger guard. I would have to play with this but it seems you would drastically have to change your firing grip to change the mag. Not sure I like that. What possesed them to place it there??? other than that I actually like the gun. Hopefully I can handle one soon.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links