taurus 851UL opinions please

This is a discussion on taurus 851UL opinions please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering getting a Taurus 851UL for ccw use and would like some feedback from DC members here who own these or any other Taurus ...

Thread: taurus 851UL opinions please

taurus 851UL opinions please

I'm considering getting a Taurus 851UL for ccw use and would like some feedback from DC members here who own these or any other Taurus small frame revolver. I'm considering the 851UL for its lightweight and built in hammer shroud,as I'd like the option of shooting the gun single action. Also will these guns use J-frame leather and speed loaders?

Now my only concern is the lock Taurus puts in their guns. has there been any cases of these locks engaging themselves like on some of the S&W guns? I've heard that the Taurus lock was a much better design not prone to this,is this correct? Last thing I know Taurus has come up in quality allot in recent years,I've looked at some Taurus snubbies and have been impressed with fit,finish and triggers on these guns. And yes I do own a few colts and S&W's. Do you guys feel this would be a good choice in a pocket carried snub nose?

2. Remove Ads

V8
    I just went through the same thing your going through. I was looking for a pocket gun for under $300 and bought a 85UL. The 851UL I think is a better design for pocket carry but it was out of the price range I was willing to spend.

At the gun shop I was quite impressed with 85's trigger. A few years back I was looking for a .357 and looked at Ruger, S&W and Taurus and at that time the only gun that I felt had a nice trigger was the S&W. When I first dry fired the 85 I was really thrown off, I didn't expect Taurus to anything smoother than what you would expect dragging a boat anchor down a gravel road to feel like. The trigger on the 85 is every bit as smooth as my S&W is.

As far as the lock goes, I cannot imagine it to be possible for it self engage. If your that worried about it I'd find away to remove it all together. The 85 anyways tears down pretty easy and mine will soon get bobbed and now that you put the thought in my head I'll try to remove the lock too.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

VIP Member
    Just be careful and know what you are buying. The 85UL is not rated for +p ammo unless it says so on the gun. So I went with a model 605 in .357. It's heavier but I like having the option to shoot any ammo I can find. As long as you don't want higher velocity the 85UL is a nice weapon.

ETA: My lock has never been a problem.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I like mine. I replaced the springs on it and bobbed the hammer. Here are some before and after pics.

Disagree about the comment they don't shoot +P.

My model 85 says that +P is ok but not all the time. I like my Model 85 and it is accurate in SA mode. DA the trigger is kind of heavy, but manageable.

VIP Member
    Like I said it needs to say so on the gun. Some are rated, some are not.

" “Plus-P’, “Plus-P-Plus” or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates
    pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard
    ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or
    exceed the margin of safety built into many revolvers and could therefore be
    DANGEROUS.
    "

This quote is from the Taurus web site. My manual states that if it doesn't say +p rated on the gun it's not rated for it. If you want to shoot plus P ammo just get a model 85 that says it's rated for it.
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 9th, 2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: content
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

V8
    Just thought I cut and paste a few things form Taurus's web site too.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    Ultra-fast. Ultra-reliable. Ultra-lightweight. It's no wonder the 85s are our most popular family. We pack them with a combination of customer-requested features and pair them with the .38 Special +P ammo - making them powerful, easy to carry - and lightning-quick to use. To many of our friends in Law Enforcement, these are must-have revolvers. New for 2008, we're pushing our 85s to the next level. Check out our new light-as-a-feather HY-LITE Magnesium model. New colors are also available. New fiber optic front sights, too

This is taken directly from Taurus International Manufacturing Inc for product# 2-850021UL which is the same gun I have (says so on the box it came in). All that said only because my gun dose not say +p and this exact model is advertised to shoot +p ammo. It would seem to me that more info needs to be found on this matter. Especially since every .38 they currently make is advertised as +p rated.

Oh yea, Atctimmy, my manual gives the same warning about the +p stuff too.

VIP Member
    I'll try to put a photo in of a +p rating on a barrel of a model 85.

ETA: Can't find a pic that works. I'm not afraid to say that I could be wrong about this and Taurus may have changed their manufacturing techniques, but I don't think I am. The warning I posted above is exactly the way it's posted on their web site with DANGEROUS all in caps. In closing I'll say that I've been very happy with both of my Taurus revolvers. Just do your home work before you buy. Good luck!
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 10th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
    Mark Twain:

Got a 605 a month or so ago. So far (~350 rounds through it) so good.

I couldn't get speedloaders past the factory grips. Replaced them with Uncle Mike's boot grip (no longer made, haunt ebay).

Trigger is good. If I had it to do over, I think I'd go with the hammerless variation.

RE: Model 85

I love my Taurus 85, but it does not fit all j-frame holsters

Links