Concealability of Glock 19 vs service 4" XD

This is a discussion on Concealability of Glock 19 vs service 4" XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question for those who have owned or now own both G 19 & 4" XD. Does the extra length in grip of XD (about 1/2") ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealability of Glock 19 vs service 4" XD

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Concealability of Glock 19 vs service 4" XD

Question for those who have owned or now own both G 19 & 4" XD. Does the extra length in grip of XD (about 1/2") make it harder to conceal?

I know you can dress around most any gun even a full size and that your body shape and all makes a difference. So this may not help me at all but will ask the question anyway.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I've carried both. I seemed to be a little more concience of the XD until I got a good belt and holster. After that, I couldn't really tell any difference.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Depends what part of your body you carry it on and what kind of body you have. If you position it at about 3:30 like I do, the grip isn't flush with my body, and every inch makes a big difference.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I carry at the 3:30 position also and I have the dunlap body style. 5'8" about 240

One word of advice....and remember...I'm a Glock fan and never had an XD. If a simple half inch difference makes a difference, change something else...mainly your carry method or placement. You've bought a pistol with CC in mind...attempt every adjustment you can to make it work for you. Otherwise, your initial decision has been in vain. I used to always swear by my G27 being the ultimate concealed carry for me. Since I have an IWB holster that will accept all Glock models...and I got my G19, all I need to do is rearrange the location of my holster and either one of them are good to go under a t-shirt. All anyone needs to conceal their favorite pistol is the will, and the means. If you want to carry it, let nothing stand in your way. And yes..it may come down to your choice of clothing....carrying for most is a change of life or lifestyles. We've made a commitment. Never be 'without'.

I carry my XD 4" OWB at 3:30. With fairly aggressive cant on my holster the grip of the gun fits nicely above my hip bone. I have to be moving around quite a bit for the grip to print. BTW, my I am roughly 6'1" 225lbs.

The cant on the holster makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gmitch40 View Post
    I carry my XD 4" OWB at 3:30. With fairly aggressive cant on my holster the grip of the gun fits nicely above my hip bone. I have to be moving around quite a bit for the grip to print. BTW, my I am roughly 6'1" 225lbs.

The cant on the holster makes all the difference.
    Forgot about the cant angle. Good call. More cant from vertical, more concealed grip (at least at 3:30 on me).

VIP Member
    I have both and have carried both. My XD is a .45 (don't know if the 9mm is any smaller) and I find it a little too big for me to carry comfortably for very long. It seems a little too heavy and bulky for me and it makes me more conscience about it printing, due to the larger size. I am recovering from back surgery and I am sensitive to every extra ounce of weight I carry around.

I find the G19 to be just about the largest size that I can comfortably carry all day long. I also find it too be a really good compromise between size, capacity and caliber. My XD has become my nightstand gun.

Maybe something's wrong with me... I like Glocks and XD's.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have never carried a G19 (although I've shot them); I carry my G17 and G26 quite frequently, and I used to own an XD45 4" Service.

The G19 is a much lighter, smaller, and slimmer gun than the XD45; even my G17 is far easier to conceal, and more comfortable to carry for an extended period.

IMO, it all just comes down to what works best for you.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have no issues carrying and concelaing my XD45acp, however, I will say that the Glocks are thinner and smoother down the sides of the slide and should be slightly more easy to conceal. However, as stated already, I wouldnt let a small half inch make my decision. I would pick my favorite and the one I shoot the best regardless.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...carrying for most is a change of life or lifestyles. We've made a commitment. Never be 'without'.
    +1 on that!

Mr. Murphy seems to be my co-pilot! If I ever need my gun, it'll be the day I don't have it!

So I carry everywhere and odds are, I'll never need it!

But I am not one of those so disillusioned as to think "It won't happen to me!"

We all know it can happen "Anytime, Anywhere!" It's just that way too many of us choose to "roll the dice" and play the odds, carrying only when we "think" it might be useful.

We've all seen the posts here of how random it can be. The article I read posted on the Garland Tx murders of the Christian Musicians should convince anyone, but it doesn't. Some of us actually deal with death and violence for a living. Some people just can't comprehend that... Have no frame of reference to compare it with.

Survival is a personal thing! It really boils down to what value you place on your life. Is it really worth more than that of some street creep who'll kill you over your pocket change? Or because you dis'd him? Hell Yeah! Mine is anyway! And it is certainly more important to my family!

Nobody said, carrying a gun is going to be comfortable! Nobody said, you won't get tired of it digging into your side, poking you all the time, wearing your skin raw in places. Nobody said, you won't get tired of the weight dragging you down. No one said, you're gonna make fashion statements every time you leave the house.

For those who truly carry all the time... it is a lifestyle!

We don't just burden ourselves with the hassle of carrying the gun, we also train, study tactics, take classes, study the law, study as many shooting cases as we can find to examine and learn from. We spend far more money training and learning than we pay for our guns.

Is your personal survival high up on your life list? Then you'll learn to adapt, overcome and accept the hardships that are associated in carrying a gun everyday.

If not... then as far as I'm concerned ccw is just a fashion statement.

YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    +1 on that!

Mr. Murphy seems to be my co-pilot! If I ever need my gun, it'll be the day I don't have it!

So I carry everywhere and odds are, I'll never need it!

But I am not one of those so disillusioned as to think "It won't happen to me!"

We all know it can happen "Anytime, Anywhere!" It's just that way too many of us choose to "roll the dice" and play the odds, carrying only when we "think" it might be useful.

We've all seen the posts here of how random it can be. The article I read posted on the Garland Tx murders of the Christian Musicians should convince anyone, but it doesn't. Some of us actually deal with death and violence for a living. Some people just can't comprehend that... Have no frame of reference to compare it with.

Survival is a personal thing! It really boils down to what value you place on your life. Is it really worth more than that of some street creep who'll kill you over your pocket change? Or because you dis'd him? Hell Yeah! Mine is anyway! And it is certainly more important to my family!

Nobody said, carrying a gun is going to be comfortable! Nobody said, you won't get tired of it digging into your side, poking you all the time, wearing your skin raw in places. Nobody said, you won't get tired of the weight dragging you down. No one said, you're gonna make fashion statements every time you leave the house.

For those who truly carry all the time... it is a lifestyle!

We don't just burden ourselves with the hassle of carrying the gun, we also train, study tactics, take classes, study the law, study as many shooting cases as we can find to examine and learn from. We spend far more money training and learning than we pay for our guns.

Is your personal survival high up on your life list? Then you'll learn to adapt, overcome and accept the hardships that are associated in carrying a gun everyday.

If not... then as far as I'm concerned ccw is just a fashion statement.

YMMV
    Words to live by. If you carry, then you have a purpose. Nothing should work it's way in between those two ideals. It's either the gun or you. Most guns are made of metal or an alloy, and they don't bend to wills easily. Your will to cope with or do without depends on you....not your gun. If you're not willing to bend, then find something designed for you. That's going to be a hard row to hoe, but it might come to the surface if you're willing to put in the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Question for those who have owned or now own both G 19 & 4" XD. Does the extra length in grip of XD (about 1/2") make it harder to conceal?
    Isn't the compact XD9mm the same as the compact.45 in that only the grip is reduced to make it a compact? I carry a compact XD.45 with 4in barrel. Compact holds 10 +1 use the standard mag for 13 +1 You may want to consider the 9mm version if printing is an issue. Same gun as the full size with a smaller grip. Use of a standard mag reverts the gun to full size 9mm
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

kpw
    I don't think either would be a problem given a decent holster. I've never carried an XD but I did carry a G22 for some time. The extra grip length over my current G19 didn't make a huge difference but there were times the butt would print more. Although it's not always an issue, there are times when a 1/2" can make a big difference.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had both, sold the XD still have the 19. The 19 is actually a tad smaller, particularly in the grip area which is the part that will show when carried. I've carried the 19, but the XD always felt too blocky to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links