Help me pick my 2nd ccw gun

This is a discussion on Help me pick my 2nd ccw gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a M&P 340 with a pocket holster. I like it and will continue to use it. However, I really want a 45 ACP. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my 2nd ccw gun

Help me pick my 2nd ccw gun

I have a M&P 340 with a pocket holster. I like it and will continue to use it.

However, I really want a 45 ACP. I want it to be concealable, but, I also want to be able to hook up all the mall ninja toys to it too!

Anyway, whatever I get, I'll likely buy 2 - one to be kept solely for concealed carry (probably IWB), and the 2nd for a new bedside gun. That 2nd/bedside gun will likely have a light/laser and maybe a legally registered NFA Suppressor as well (don't really want to shoot a 45 indoors without it and deafen my family while getting the BG...)

So, if you know of 45ACPs that would both make a great concealed carry gun -- and also, come with rails to attach a bunch of mall ninja lights and lasers, along with a threaded barrel -- please do let me know your thoughts...

Thanks in advance for your advice and perspective

Dave

2. Remove Ads

A Xd 45 compact would just about fit that to a T....

It has a tac rail, with the 10 rd flush magazine you have good concealment to use during the day for carry, and with the 13 rd mag you have a full size grip and plenty of rounds for a bedstand gun.

You should buy the XD for hooking up the Mall Ninja stuff to and then get a Glock 36 for serious work.

What ever you get, I would make sure my bedside and ccw weapon were the same style of gun. Don't buy a XD and Glock because they are two totally different guns with different grip angles, safety, trigger, etc. You don't want to be having to think which gun you have, what is different, etc, in a moment of crisis.

Me, I bought two Kimber 1911's, both 4", in 9mm and 45 acp. The 45 acp is my carry gun and the 9mm is my range gun (cheaper to shoot). Both feel identical in the hand and operate exactly the same. The only difference is caliber. It's much cheaper to practice with the 9mm than the 45 acp. I have absolute confidence in both calibers, and would carry both. When I pick up each gun I don't have to think about what gun I have. They both operate the same, and my muscle memory/instinct is the same on both.

If you want an XD, then buy 2 XD. If you want a Glock, then buy 2 Glocks. But in my opinion, for what you are wanting to do, I wouldn't mix models.

Taurus PT-145 to carry. Taurus 24/7 45 cal for bedside.
    Life is too short to be serious!

I have 4 1911's, 3 Glocks, 1 Smith M&P9c, 1 Ruger P-95, 1 Ruger GP100 and a Ruger MKII Target. I know the difference when I pick one up and I'm willing to bet you won't have any trouble either, Anothony.

You can either limit yourself to one platform based on the fear that unfamiliarity with handguns will cause your untimely demise or you can train a little, become familiar with the different guns and enjoy a multitude of different makes.

I don't believe that in a tense situation a person completely loses their mind and has no ability to process information. I switch between 1911's and Glocks all the time and never have encountered the rumored "confusion between platforms" as alluded to on the internet.

Sorry Dodge. Myth busted here.

Anyway, whatever I get, I'll likely buy 2 - one to be kept solely for concealed carry (probably IWB), and the 2nd for a new bedside gun. That 2nd/bedside gun will likely have a light/laser and maybe a legally registered NFA Suppressor as well (don't really want to shoot a 45 indoors without it and deafen my family while getting the BG...)
    Since you are already used to a Double Action Trigger I'd suggest a Glock 21 for the bedside and a Glock 30 for carry.

I'd put a NY1 Trigger in, along with some good night sights, but I'd leave the Suppressor in the box you brought it home in when it comes to self defensive uses.

As far as deafening the family, better to be deaf than dead. I have shot a .357 magnum from inside a car with 125 Grain JHP's.

Biker

After the INGO NFA Day, I'm thinking I might need one of these as an off body "BUG"

Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

I'll 2nd the XD 45 Compact. It's a great gun, and a great size. There's a few different companies that make after market extended/threaded barrels for it as well.

HK makes the USP with a threaded barrel in .45

If, for some reason, you're stuck on the .45...I'll second what Biker said. Get a Glock 21 for HD, and a 30 for CCW.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    HK makes the USP with a threaded barrel in .45
    The HK USP Tactical .45 is a great pistol. With the threaded barrel and light rail it has the 'look' you want. Ii also has adjustable sights and a match trigger. Mine has proven to be very accurate and an excellent range pistol. It's rather large to carry and the price might preclude owning two. You could however pick up a USPc (compact) .45 for your house gun. CDNN sells them for a pretty reasonable price.
    Join the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    You can either limit yourself to one platform based on the fear that unfamiliarity with handguns will cause your untimely demise or you can train a little, become familiar with the different guns and enjoy a multitude of different makes.

I don't believe that in a tense situation a person completely loses their mind and has no ability to process information. I switch between 1911's and Glocks all the time and never have encountered the rumored "confusion between platforms" as alluded to on the internet.
    I completely agree...

+3 on BikerRN GLOCK 21 SF for the house. GLOCK 30 SF for Carry.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

One thing I'd point out about a silencer on a bedside stand is that NFA weapons can not be easily available to anyone other than the owner without the registered owner present. So, if your wife or kids can access your weapon without your consent and you with them. I bet the ATF would frown upon your wife's ability to access you silencer while you're asleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links