Looking for a snubbie

This is a discussion on Looking for a snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i read somewhere that everyone should have among their firearms, a snubbie. i already have a hi cap poly gun, a 1911, a mouse gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a snubbie

Looking for a snubbie

i read somewhere that everyone should have among their firearms, a snubbie. i already have a hi cap poly gun, a 1911, a mouse gun, and a 12 gauge shotgun. my next guns are: a snubbie, a rifle, a .22 plinker, and a S/A wheelgun.

i've been looking around at snubbies. i found one, made by armscor, who make quality 1911s for a good price. Model 206 .38 Special Revolver

i got to pick one up at a local shop, and i liked the feel. i compared it against others from taurus and S&W, and as i'm unfamiliar with snubbies, i couldn't feel the difference. anyone ever handle one, shoot one, or know someone who owns one?

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    There's probably a reason why this sells for only 180 dollars.

If I were you, I would stick with the name brands, S&W, Ruger, Charter Arms or Taurus. More expensive, sure, but you get reliability, quality and customer service.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Just buy a 642 and live happily ever after. Light, durable,quality made, small and powerful.

I really enjoy my Rossi 462, 6 shot, 357 but handles 38spl +P. I have put 500 rounds through it so far with no problems.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Get thyself a Ruger 2-1/4" SP101. Light enough for easy carry, heavy enough for comfortable shooting. No ugly Hillary hole to agonize over.

Ruger or S&W

I know absolutely nothing about Armscor revolvers, but I do like revolvers and have examples from the three manufacturers Ruger, Colt and S&W. I think all three of these are good quality and will stick with them on any future purchases. But Colt is essentially out of the new revolver business so only Ruger & S&W are still active in it.

For a first snubby that will be used for shooting and possible belt carry, I'd get an all steel .357 and practice with mainly .38s, but carry .357s. (You didn't mention pocket carry, which generally calls for an aluminum frame gun.) My favorites would be the Ruger SP101 with a trigger job or a S&W J or K frame in all steel. The prelock S&W 19 snubby shown below is a good candidate:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

What pogo2 said. It does not get any better than a 19 snubbie, IMHO of course. Regards 18DAI.

Taurus Model 85 UL here. I really like it a lot. Nice quality and no problems so far.

TOF
    Wifey and I are pleased with our Taurus 605.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm picking up a Taurus 617b2 tomorrow, but I have read quite a few posts on other gun forums about the Armscor 206. The consensus by just about everyone that actually has one is that it is a really good buy. It is basically a Colt Detective: made on the original Colt machinery using lower grade steel and lacking the hand finish work such as bluing, polishing and deburring. I would buy one in a heartbeat [it's on my "to buy" short list] - it would make a great truck, backup or arm the whole house gun. It's also heavy enough to be a good snub to train with.

I also have a Taurus 85 UL nice lil snubby.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    Just buy a 642 and live happily ever after. Light, durable,quality made, small and powerful.
    +1 on the 642. I have one with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. It is great for pocket carry in the summer.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Holy Cow. Someone actually suggested getting a Charter. I like it. I just picked up an Off Duty today. I have been more than pleased with my .44's. The lockup is tighter on my new Off Duty than my SW 340. I am heading out of the country this week but will take it to the range and wring some rounds through it next week.

Ditto on the Ruger, Charter, Smitty, or Taurus.

S&W Model 60 is my favorite snubber!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I see the greatest snubby value out there being the S&W 642; light, compact and adequate ballistics.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links