Glock G27, S&W M&P .40 compact, Springfield XDSC .40?

Glock G27, S&W M&P .40 compact, Springfield XDSC .40?

This is a discussion on Glock G27, S&W M&P .40 compact, Springfield XDSC .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which do you think would be a better/more reliable carry gun, the Glock G27, S&W M&P .40 compact, or the Springfield XDSC .40? I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock G27, S&W M&P .40 compact, Springfield XDSC .40?

Question Glock G27, S&W M&P .40 compact, Springfield XDSC .40?

Which do you think would be a better/more reliable carry gun, the Glock G27, S&W M&P .40 compact, or the Springfield XDSC .40? I know it's all on personal preference, but I was wondering what one you all think would be better.

If you have pros and cons of each I'd like to hear them
    Last edited by fishhunter828; August 11th, 2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: I forgot to put in the gun types
    "It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you." -Quote from Batman Begins

Psalms 55:22 -"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall."

All 3 are great guns, I would go with the XD because it is the most comfortable in my hand. But I wouldn't have a problem carrying the Glock or the S&W. When it comes to reliability you can't go wrong with either of them.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I don't think any of them are any less reliable than the others. If you're asking because you're in the market to buy one of them, try shooting em. That's the best way short of buying all three to know what "feels" best to you.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

All of the are great guns, see if you can find any of the for rent and try them out.

My vote would be for the XD, they seem to fit me the best, plus I like the extended mags with the factory spacers.

Though for after market parts I really recommend the pierce grip extension for the short mag.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK
    all 3 are great. i was just sharing what I like best. you have to see what fits. I would bet my life everytime that when i pull the trigger on my glock it will go bang and feed the next round.
    good luck with the dession they can be difficult.

New Member Array bladerunner747's Avatar
    All three will do a good job. The only thing I've heard....hearsay... if you rack the Springfield XD and your hand is not fully depressing the grip safety, it will jam up. The only way is to send it back to the factory to have it unlocked. Something to do with an internal part.
    I hope they corrected this with the newer XDm. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner747 View Post
    The only thing I've heard....hearsay... if you rack the Springfield XD and your hand is not fully depressing the grip safety, it will jam up. The only way is to send it back to the factory to have it unlocked. Something to do with an internal part.
    I hope they corrected this with the newer XDm. Have fun.
    I have had my XD40 going on 2 years now, and have never had any problems. It has went bang every time I have pulled the trigger.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Pick the one that fits you the best. All three are very reliable and will not let you down.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I only have experience with the G27. Great gun, very reliable and easy to conceal. In regards to the M&P compact I have heard of the mag dropping without the magazine catch being pressed. I'm not sure if S&W has corrected this problem or not. Perhaps some of the M&P compact owners can give you further info on that.

Good luck in your choice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'd say go with the G27..I had one a few months back and is the only gun that I have sold over the years that I miss..I may have to get rid of my newly aquired G30SF and get another one!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I had the S&W M&P .40c and I currently own the XD40SC and I would suggest you go with the XD. My expeirience with the S&W was not good (I am sure there are many with favorable reviews) and I did not have confidence in the gun to operate properly in any situation, let alone a pressure situation. The XD is well made and the action is buttery smooth. You may also consider a Walther PPS in .40. I have it in 9MM and absolutely love the slimness of it and the top rate German build quality. It might cost a few bucks more but you won't be dissappointed. It is my daily carry gun along with an LCP BUG.

I vote for the M&P. Traded in a G27 for a M&P 40C, never looked back. My M&P has been flawless. IMO, the M&P has significantly less recoil than the Glock, better ergonomics, and a fine trigger.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by bshoe View Post
    GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK
    all 3 are great. i was just sharing what I like best. you have to see what fits. I would bet my life everytime that when i pull the trigger on my glock it will go bang and feed the next round.
    good luck with the dession they can be difficult.

Our opinions are definitely the summary of our exeriences, LOL! I started off as a 1911 shooter, and none of mine have had any issues (outside of some dud ammo I reloaded for them). I always hear how reliable a Glock is, so I get the chance and get a deal on a G27. Take it to the range with my 1911's, and the first 3 shots I fire, I have to hand rack the slide to get it to RTB. WTH? So there's a guy training some security guards a few booths down, and he says it requires a really firm grip, I grab it like I'm choking somebody, and it does okay then. But all that hype about Glocks firing no matter what?? Hmmm. Several folks have told me to get it looked at, that women shoot it all the time with much weaker grips and it does fine, but I've lost confidence in it right now. I do plan to get it to my gunsmith (Glock certified) to have it checked out, may just need a new spring or something, but I was NOT impressed.

Been looking at the XD45 in 4" model, may look at a trade once I get the G27 trustworthy....

B52
    Glock G27

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I know for a fact that the Glock & and XD are great pistols. As far as the S&W, I can't really tell you much about it because I've never owned or shot one.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links