CCW'ing the Glock 26

This is a discussion on CCW'ing the Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK,here's my question...I currently carry an SP101..but I've had a hankerin' for a g26..I have a g17 and tried to carry it but it seemed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW'ing the Glock 26

CCW'ing the Glock 26

OK,here's my question...I currently carry an SP101..but I've had a hankerin' for a g26..I have a g17 and tried to carry it but it seemed WAY too big...mostly the grip it too long.Is the 26's grip a ton shorter,or will I run into the same problem?Weight wise I think it is about the same as the SP.
    Why am I switching you may ask......I want to use the same gun in IDPA that I carry....I find I shoot my g17 the best of all my guns,because I shoot IDPA every week ,no matter what(I use the 17 mostly)...not that I shoot the sp badly..I just don't seem to have the time to devote to as much practice with it as I want to.(I know priorities,priorities.....)
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

2. Remove Ads

JT
    G26 is my hot weather carry weapon. I am very happy with it.

The grip is a lot shorter. The most often heard complaint is it is too short.

Height comparison:
    G17 - 5.43 in.
    G19 - 5.00 in
    G26 - 4.17 in.

Length comparison:
    G17 - 7.32 in
    G19 - 6.85 in.
    G26 - 6.29 in
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The G26 is also my carry gun (though I plan on switching to a G30 soon, giving the G26 to my wife for carry). It is a great little gun. I am 6'5" and have big hands, but with the mag extenders my hands fit great.
    Hoss
    "from my cold, dead hands!"

The 26 is much smaller than the 17. The 26 is pretty much the size of a J-frame Smith. What I have heard is same as what JT said, many people say the grip is too short. I have little hands and liked the 26 very much. I found it extremely easy to hide just about anyplace.
    The only reason I don't carry a Glock is that I couldn't get used to the trigger (but I'm old and probably spent too many years with single action automatics).
    I have heard that the 19 is about "perfect" size, but I can't seem to get the cash together to get one and try it out.

Assistant Administrator
    Tony - from what I am imagining, you haven't the right carry rig. I used to carry SP-101 myself but have moved on to the SIG 226 - that is full size and heavy but it is just fine.

Major factor IMO is having adequate cant - that brings grip up and forward and certainly for me does not let it stick out to rear enough to matter. Only time the grip impinges much on anything is sitting in my office chair - nice wear marks on back!!

I have also carried my SW99 in a simple Don Hume, with only slight cant and that gun, which must be similar size to a 26 - just disappears!! Maybe part of this is simply the rather major change of one gun compared to another.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The holster I tried with the 17 was a high noon.I think it has a forward cant....I prefer Desantis thumb break holsters,I wear them between my blet and pants,so it's real tight to my body.Maybe I'll look around for different holsters(of course I WAS looking for an excuse to buy the 26.....thanks a lot

PJH
    Tony,

As others have said, the G26 is MUCH smaller than the G17. The G19 is a great choice: almost as easy to conceal as the 26, easier to shoot well, and 5 more rounds.

I don't shoot IDPA (yet), but I'd think the 19 would give better results for most shooters.

I will buy a 26 soon myself for those days when the 19 is too hard to hide and the P3AT is just not enough gun, but I just haven't had enough trouble concealing the G19 yet to make it a priority. FWIW, my daily attire is usually shorts and an untucked Hawaiian shirt.

YMMV

-Paul

My wife has a G26 and loves it for her medium size hands. I also like it due to its smaller size. I have a G17 which I'm practicing carry with - about 1:00 to 1:30 in a Don Hume IWB - still only around the house since I havn't received my CHL yet. Still trying to figure out the 4:00 deal.

The G26 is a lot smaller. Grip extenders are available. I shoot the G26 and only adjust my grip a little - since I learned on Glocks, and my wife and I cross train. G17: 17 rounds. G26: 10 rounds.

We love 'em.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

some size measurements

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    Is the 26's grip a ton shorter,or will I run into the same problem?
    The 26's grip is defiinitely shorter than the 17, and most people who carry 26s, 27s, or 33s do so for that reason. The heights (directly related to grip length) of the 17 and 26 are 135 and 106mm, respectively---a significant difference.

I have a 27, same size as the 26, and confirm the height is 106mm. The corresponding grip length, measured along the center axis of the grip between the line connecting the tops of the sights and the base plate of the stock magazine, is 115mm.

I don't have a 17 (height 135mm) but My G21's height is close at 139mm. Its grip length for comparison is about 150mm.

I use the Glock +2 magazine extension on the 27, which adds 2 rounds, gives a place for my little finger to grab, and extends the grip length to 125mm.

By the way, I conceal the large G21 easily using a CompTac C-Tac IWB. If you like IWB, I recommend it for any size Glock.

Ive been carrying the 17 a lot lately and suually do carry a fullsize Gun all in the holster

Just shot my brother's 26 today and I fould it surprisingly controlable. Though without the magazine in it the grips were too short for my hands, but the mag extension made it fit pretty well.

Talking Tony...get the PM9

Now Tony, I'll vouch for you that you are a great shot at IDPA...but you really want that PM9!

Shooting a G26 will only get Glock snot on your holster.

The G26 is a great little carry gun. Carry mine in a FIST #1 clip holster. Easy on, easy off, and secure all the time. A word about magazine extenders. If you absolutely need onein order to grip the pistol - okay! But that extended end on the handle does, to some degree, make it more difficult to effectively conceal. I finally decided that the extra length was not as important as the better concealment. FWIW:)
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

NQ is that you???
    Did you get me any venison this weekend???
    You're right I DO want the Kahr.....if I can shoot it as good as you

I carry my Glock M27 (40) in an IWB from Blade Tech made for a Glock M30 45 ACP. It fits neatly but rides just a tad low. Still very easy to scoop out and draw, but easier to conceal with the butt kept low and close to the body. I also have a Blade Tech OWB made for the M27 and I have a fine shoulder holster from Sam Andrews that is excellent for cool weather wear.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links