Which SIG?

This is a discussion on Which SIG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wanting a SIG in .40 or 9mm, high capacity is a plus. I own a G23 and several 1911's but now I have the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which SIG?

Which SIG?

I'm wanting a SIG in .40 or 9mm, high capacity is a plus. I own a G23 and several 1911's but now I have the itch for a SIG. (not the 1911 platform)
    Help a guy out will ya and tell me what I need to know about SIGs. I have heard the hype now I need the facts. I have read a couple of old threads but I still don't get the differences in the models. I would also like to know how they carry and if there are any quirks I need to know about. Thanks for the help.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    I have a P239 in 9mm. It's a great gun, slim for a Sig and shoots like a dream.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I would study Sig's website to learn about the different models. I personally own P239 9mm & P220 Carry.45cal, both of which have 8+1 capacity. My Sig's have been flawless. A few different options to choose from regarding trigger (i.e. DA/SA, DAK, SAO). For higher capacity 9/.40cal look at the P229s & P226s.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    The P-239 is very sweet to carry.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I just bought a P6 9mm surplus gun from aim surplus came with 2 mags shipped for about 295.00 and even tho it's got holster wear this thing shoots good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Any problems with older 229's chambered in .40? I know where one is for 650 with 4 mags 2 kydex holsters and crimson trace grips.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I would study Sig's website to learn about the different models. I personally own P239 9mm & P220 Carry.45cal, both of which have 8+1 capacity. My Sig's have been flawless. A few different options to choose from regarding trigger (i.e. DA/SA, DAK, SAO). For higher capacity 9/.40cal look at the P229s & P226s.
    That really sums it up in a nutshell! I have a 239 in 9mm and feel that's enough, I also just got a 220 Carry I haven't had a chance to get to the range with. If you think you need the higher capacity both the 226 and 229 are excellent.

One slight advantage to the .40 is with most of SIG's .40's you can drop in a factory 357 SIG barrel if you feel the need, the one thing you can't do with the 220 (it's .45 ACP).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

SIG P226/9mm is 15+1

SIG P229/.40 is 12+1

My P229/.40 is 11 years old and I haven't had a problem...I say go for it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I carry the 229 .40 and I think it strikes a good ballance between capacity, with 12+1, and concealability. The 226 is IMHO more for open carry on a duty belt. My 239 .40 conceales better and is more comfortable to carry but I have never been comforted by the 7+1 capacity.-Jay

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    There are the SIG classics and the polymer framed sigPro line. I haven't shot the latter, but there are several folks around here who carry and like them.

Most people mean the classics when they talk SIGs. Here are the basics:
    • P220: Single stack, full sized .45 ACP.
    • P226: Double stack, full sized, in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG.
    • P229: Shorter barrel version of P226.
    • P228: Like the P229 but only in 9mm; replaced by the P229.
    • P239: Single stack, compact, in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG.
    • P225/P6: Single stack, compact, 9mm only. Out of production (mags are hard to find, the guns are not).
    • P230/P232: Older compacts in single-stack .380 or .32 ACP.
    • P250: New modular gun. Check for currently running threads.

The guns that do both .40 S&W and .357SIG are caliber swappable with a barrel change. The 9mm slide is different so those can't be swapped to a different caliber.

The first four (P220--P239) are available in traditional DA/SA, DAO, or the SIG DAK trigger (which is a double-action with a short-reset).

I have a P239 in .40 S&W which I find to be very accurate and eminently shootable. With 180gr it is very manageable and I like it a lot. It disappears in an MTAC. I also have a P220 which conceals pretty well in an MTAC; the SIG factory thin grips now available for it make it very flat.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    SIG P226/9mm is 15+1
    Actually, there are flush 17 rounders that work quite well.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I have a 239 in 357. It's almost identical in size to a G23 with about half the capacity, but the sig is a little slimmer.

It's very accurate, and feels decent in the hand. I'm not 100% satisfied with the transition from the DA to SA trigger. When I release the trigger after firing SA, I release until I feel it catch - but that's not far enough. Mine, at least, needs to be realllly released before it will reset. It bugs me a bit, but doesn't bother anyone else whose shooting it. Sometimes I wont get a shot off because it's not release, but that's never happened to any of my shootin' buddies with it.

The only thing I don't really like is the grooves on the front of the magwell. I wish they were vertical and not horizontal.

Just my 2c.

My surplus P6 shoots well also, but it's not exactly high capacity. I personally like the thinness of the single stack, but after shooting a double stack gun the magazines feel tiny. If you can afford better, you can do better than the 225/P6 on pretty much every front. It's a good gun and a great deal, not a great gun.

Administrator
    Well, somebody wants to learn about Sigs! I think I can help...

If it where me in your shoes, I'd probably buy the Sig flagship model, a 226 in 9mm. My personal favorite Sig is the 228, great for range use and also great for CCW.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The P220 series is also now available in SAO!
    https://www.sigsauer.com/Default.aspx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links