Opinions on the sigpro

Opinions on the sigpro

This is a discussion on Opinions on the sigpro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am purchasing a "certified pre-owned" sigpro 2340 in .357 SIG with night sights. I'm buying it on a whim....my duty gun is a SIGARMS ...

Thread: Opinions on the sigpro

VIP Member

Opinions on the sigpro

I am purchasing a "certified pre-owned" sigpro 2340 in .357 SIG with night sights.

I'm buying it on a whim....my duty gun is a SIGARMS P229 in .40 S&W and like it for the most part except for one thing...the weight. I wear the gun and a spare magazine (and some other tools like a flashlight) and my trousers are around my thigh by the end of my duty day due to the weight unless I cinch my belt so tight that I'm gasping for air.

I'm also getting this gun 'cause I like the .357 SIG caliber....and the price sounded good.

Any sigpro owners, fans, critics, etc. have any opinions on this gun?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I own one of the Sig Gun of the Month 2009 Pro Compacts that came through a while back.

If you like the size/grip of the 229, you'll be happy. It is lighter, and in the 357, that does translate to more push. Mine I shoot occasionally, but I vastly prefer the full-size 226.

Don't get me wrong - the trigger is the Sig I know and love, the rest of it operates flawlessly, etc., but I just can't warm up as much to the shorter grip. It's why I don't personally own a 228/229 either. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Moderator
    Great guns but definaltey the ugliest of the Sig breed...

Senior Moderator
    I think the sigpro is one of the most underated guns on the market. It's well built, got a great DA/SA trigger right out of the box, it's relatively light, and available at a competitive price.

I have the 2009 model and love it. The latest model, 2022 has the Picatinny rails. I believe this may be one of the best buy "whims" you've ever had. And, I disagree; I think it's a great looking gun.

Assistant Administrator
    I never looked into that gun - much as anything because of factors mentioned by rfurtkamp - anything much smaller than 226 and it's getting a bit small for me - tho having said that the one rather diminutive gun I do find OK for carry is the SW99, despite its annoying ergonomics!!

The recently aquired 228 is fine also - the difference in feel compared with 226 is very modest, just an all round small decrease in scale.

I am also one who does not like the looks of the pro as much but that actually is irrelevant - seeing as I have two Ruger P series and they are fugly for real Looks don't matter too much for me - function and feel are everything.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Looks pretty good to me. Hmmm, I shoulda blown this up a bit.
    Attached Images

The Sig-Pros are a bit different in the feel of the gun, as opposed to the 229,226 etc..they tend to feel a bit cheasier than the other Sigs........Grips feel kinda funny to me.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

i have a sig pro 2340 in 40 cal. it was an impulse buy. at first i didnt really like it because it would malfunction often (ftf or fte, not sure which). i dug it out the safe a while back and shot it a few times and never had a problem, so now i like it. it has the stainless slide and i put a set of novak night sights on it. mine came with 2 grips that are real easy to change (they just snap on and off).

I think prior to the end of the AWB about a year ago, the big problem with sig pros was a full size gun without available high caps.

I wouldn't carry a full size 9mm, or a 40 for that matter, with a neutered 10 round mag.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

VIP Member
    I purchased a short trigger for my sigpro and plan on getting the slide hard chromed since I love the two-toned look I've seen on some 9mm sigpro's with stainless (?) slides. I may get the hammer dehorned as well.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Two tone was a Sig gun of the month a while back in the compact version - the only time the compact version has been available in the US to the best of my knowledge.

I have one - it looks nice with extensive factory engraving.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney
    I think prior to the end of the AWB about a year ago, the big problem with sig pros was a full size gun without available high caps.

I wouldn't carry a full size 9mm, or a 40 for that matter, with a neutered 10 round mag.
    Lawerence,
    Sounds like we may have some similiar ideas about gun capacity. Just curious, does that also mean you wouldn't carry a Sig 220, 1911, or revolver?

I love sigs, and my pro is a great weapon.

Links