3" S.A. 1911 & THE Gun shop know-it-all

This is a discussion on 3" S.A. 1911 & THE Gun shop know-it-all within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I was at the gun shop a few weeks ago when I purchased my lil Kel-Tec and ran into myu first "gun shop know-it-all". ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 3" S.A. 1911 & THE Gun shop know-it-all

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array SOLOLUCKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ROSS OHIO
    Posts
    517

    3" S.A. 1911 & THE Gun shop know-it-all

    Well I was at the gun shop a few weeks ago when I purchased my lil Kel-Tec and ran into myu first "gun shop know-it-all".

    I was taking my S.A. back to the shop to see if they would return it to S.A. for me, pulled out the receipt from a few years ago when they returned it before. The receipt has a list of to-do items that maybe they did, maybe they didn't, it's like a stock form that they check what was done, put a quantity if they replace something, etc. Well the shop owner reviewed the list with me, we had it kinda sideways on the counter looking at it together. When we finished looking at it we went on to talk about my shipping options, costs, etc, Thats when Mr. Smarty decides he is gonna look at said receipt and begins to rattle on about what they did, what he thinks they shoulda done, and what can be further done! Then begins to talk about the basics of the 5" design vs. the 3" design! How it all happens faster due to the shorter slide..."blah blah blah"...all this we know, but I was amazed how as we listened for a short second then continued our conversation about my return options he just kept on!!

    I just don't get some people!
    He never did get the idea that we didn't care about his spewing knowledge. Lets just get this back to Springfield.
    R1

    This is mine. That is yours.

    Lets keep it that way.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett, Texas
    Posts
    1,739
    There is always a know-it-all lurking in the shadows just waiting to pounce upon the innocent.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

  4. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,247
    What's worse is when the know-is-all don't know crap... AND HE WORKS WITH YOU!

    We have two employees that drive me up the wall and down the other side.

    One of them doesn't know what he doesn't know and makes things up as he goes along. The other is "book smart" but has no practical experience and makes HUGE mountains out of tiny mole hills and scares the crap out of customers with his misplaced emphasis.

    For instance, someone comes in looking for a good 1911 in .45 and someone shows the customer a Springfield Stainless Loaded model.

    Employee #1 will say things like, "Now, if that's for home protection you shouldn't get stainless because it will give away your position. Even the moon light on the slide will give you away and then you'll be dead. But if you are going to go with a good caliber you can't beat .45. Even if you hit the guy in the arm from 10 yards he's going to fly around and be dead before he knows what hit him."

    At which point I'm ready to crawl out of my skin with annoyance.

    Then Employee #2 steps up and says, "That's a good gun, but the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't have a firing pin block. That's dangerous. If you drop your gun it will go off. The best thing any 1911 manufacturer can do for themselves and the safety of their customers is put firing pin blocks in their guns."

    And I have to leave before I get in yet ANOTHER argument with them on just how wrong they BOTH are.

    And the poor customer, who was previously anxious to purchase such a fine gun, is now looking at it like he's holding a snake in his hands. Poor guy.

    All because people don't know what they heck they are talking about.

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,768
    Those are the kinds of people I would love to hand a card that says .

    “It is better to remain silent and thought stupid than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array David in FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

    What's worse is when the know-is-all don't know crap... AND HE WORKS WITH YOU!

    We have two employees that drive me up the wall and down the other side.

    One of them doesn't know what he doesn't know and makes things up as he goes along. The other is "book smart" but has no practical experience and makes HUGE mountains out of tiny mole hills and scares the crap out of customers with his misplaced emphasis.

    For instance, someone comes in looking for a good 1911 in .45 and someone shows the customer a Springfield Stainless Loaded model.

    Employee #1 will say things like, "Now, if that's for home protection you shouldn't get stainless because it will give away your position. Even the moon light on the slide will give you away and then you'll be dead. But if you are going to go with a good caliber you can't beat .45. Even if you hit the guy in the arm from 10 yards he's going to fly around and be dead before he knows what hit him."

    At which point I'm ready to crawl out of my skin with annoyance.

    Then Employee #2 steps up and says, "That's a good gun, but the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't have a firing pin block. That's dangerous. If you drop your gun it will go off. The best thing any 1911 manufacturer can do for themselves and the safety of their customers is put firing pin blocks in their guns."

    And I have to leave before I get in yet ANOTHER argument with them on just how wrong they BOTH are.

    And the poor customer, who was previously anxious to purchase such a fine gun, is now looking at it like he's holding a snake in his hands. Poor guy.

    All because people don't know what they heck they are talking about.



    Can you carry a stick at work?!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

    Theodore Roosevelt

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array rodc13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    2,753
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    What's worse is when the know-is-all don't know crap... AND HE WORKS WITH YOU!

    We have two employees that drive me up the wall and down the other side.

    One of them doesn't know what he doesn't know and makes things up as he goes along. The other is "book smart" but has no practical experience and makes HUGE mountains out of tiny mole hills and scares the crap out of customers with his misplaced emphasis.

    For instance, someone comes in looking for a good 1911 in .45 and someone shows the customer a Springfield Stainless Loaded model.

    Employee #1 will say things like, "Now, if that's for home protection you shouldn't get stainless because it will give away your position. Even the moon light on the slide will give you away and then you'll be dead. But if you are going to go with a good caliber you can't beat .45. Even if you hit the guy in the arm from 10 yards he's going to fly around and be dead before he knows what hit him."

    At which point I'm ready to crawl out of my skin with annoyance.

    Then Employee #2 steps up and says, "That's a good gun, but the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't have a firing pin block. That's dangerous. If you drop your gun it will go off. The best thing any 1911 manufacturer can do for themselves and the safety of their customers is put firing pin blocks in their guns."

    And I have to leave before I get in yet ANOTHER argument with them on just how wrong they BOTH are.

    And the poor customer, who was previously anxious to purchase such a fine gun, is now looking at it like he's holding a snake in his hands. Poor guy.

    All because people don't know what they heck they are talking about.
    Maybe you should encourage your employer to set up some in-service training sessions? You could even offer to teach them. Have a PowerPoint and some handouts.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett, Texas
    Posts
    1,739
    Maybe Limatunes could write a book, HOW TO KILL A GUN SALE and LOWER YOUR PROFITS.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stuck In The 1970's
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    There is always a know-it-all lurking in the shadows
    Hey I resemble that remark!
    Hence my username and location

    Yeah theres one in every crowd!

    When it comes to guns or anything else I'm interested in.... I listen and ask questions trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible rather than just spouting my mouth off.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array luvmyglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    636
    I had a guy at the range/gun store last week try to say that you have to replace your Glock barrel once every few thousand rounds. He said it was just like anything else, like changing the oil in your car. I wanted to slap him silly.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

  11. #10
    Member Array Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vermont USA
    Posts
    277
    I say we start a defensive carry gun shop that limatunes and JD can run and for those of us that do not live down in VA they can do the online orders for us. then we can put an end to having to put up with these know it all types of folks and instead we can just order through limatunes.

    limatunes get your FFL forms filled out.

    I need 250 rounds Golden Saber .45 230 Gr. and 250 rounds of HST .45 230 Gr. for my first order when you open I may also be looking for a new 1911 Gov.

    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array luvmyglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    I say we start a defensive carry gun shop that limatunes and JD can run and for those of us that do not live down in VA they can do the online orders for us. then we can put an end to having to put up with these know it all types of folks and instead we can just order through limatunes.

    limatunes get your FFL forms filled out.

    I need 250 rounds Golden Saber .45 230 Gr. and 250 rounds of HST .45 230 Gr. for my first order when you open I may also be looking for a new 1911 Gov.

    Careful what you say there Craiger..I was pretty sure that Lima did own a gun store. Either i am mistaken, or you are going to be a poor man! I may have just gotten the wrong impression, but i was pretty sure that her and her husband own a gun store.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

  13. #12
    1943 - 2009
    Array Captain Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    10,371
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Careful what you say there Craiger..I was pretty sure that Lima did own a gun store. Either i am mistaken, or you are going to be a poor man! I may have just gotten the wrong impression, but i was pretty sure that her and her husband own a gun store.
    No, they do not.


    When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

    Rudyard Kipling


    Terry

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,764
    There's one gun shop I visit to see and handles guns but never buy from. I bought several years ago but they did me wrong on a used rifle purchase and they're high as a kite on prices, however, they have a good selection so I can "feel" a gun.

    Anyway, they have a sales rep like you're talking about. I've heard him say some crazy things. His big kick is that the guns you order from Wally world thru their catalogs are "different" cheaper versions of the original! I've heard him say that a few times. It's hard not to tell the customer he's talking to that is just isn't so.

    I've heard him give very bad advise about concealed carry weapons too; saying you shouldn't carry anything without a safety (as in a lever type safety) which would leave out every J frame, Kahr, etc.

    The guy is loud, brash, and ignorant and they let him stay

    On the other hand, when I was trying to decide between a full size loaded Springer and a Colt New Agent, and older guy noticed the two guns I was looking at and stepped up to admire them. He was quiet and nice. Asked me which one I liked. We ended up enjoying a very nice conversation and at the end he pointed to the SA and said "nice gun and the right one for the range and a bit more pleasure", then he pointed to the Colt and said "this one's all business". After he left I learned from the store owner that he was retired military, then retired LEO. A great guy who knew more than 10 of me would ever think of knowing but he has something besides just knowledge, he has character.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    656
    Hey that one know-it-all that lima mentioned was almost right... Springer's don't have a firing pin block...

    The did however go to school and understand physics and thus put a lightweight titanium firing pin in that is just as strong as steel, but due to reduced mass has less chance of firing upon droppage... But he's almost right... lol.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

    The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Tom Mabe "I'm at the Coffee Shop" Prank?
    By ArmyCop in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
  2. Talking to a guy at a shop; "Fat people have it easy"
    By Machina in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: December 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
  3. "Did Forza Coffee Shop have a gun-ban door sign?"
    By Cold Warrior in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: December 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM
  4. "nude" coffee shop in Boulder???
    By pcon in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
  5. Gun dealer operated "li'l shop of gun horror" (New York press)
    By paramedic70002 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: August 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM

Search tags for this page

1911 know it all
,

gun know it all

,
gun shop know it all
,
gunshop know it all
,
m1911 gun store
Click on a term to search for related topics.